Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR AWD Towing Uhaul 6'x12' Cargo Trailer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Fellows,

Has anyone else had success with towing a UHaul cargo trailer with MY? I am thinking of renting their largest, the 6' x 12': U-Haul Equipment specifications: 6' x 12' Cargo Trailer for a x-country move from WA to CA.

We are taking delivery on Saturday, the MY will come with the tow hitch option, but I'm reading that it won't actually come with a ball hitch receiver, and that I need to make a Tesla Service Center appointment to get it installed? Or can I purchase an aftermarket one and install it myself?

Which ball hitch do people recommend for towing something like the 6x12? Is this going to be too heavy for the MY? I can see the trailer empty weighs 1920#, so in theory I can get 1580# loaded into the trailer, right?

Will I need to connect any kind of brake controller or light wiring harness?

Thanks in advance!

Maybe this will help.

Hello Fellows,

Has anyone else had success with towing a UHaul cargo trailer with MY? I am thinking of renting their largest, the 6' x 12': U-Haul Equipment specifications: 6' x 12' Cargo Trailer for a x-country move from WA to CA.

We are taking delivery on Saturday, the MY will come with the tow hitch option, but I'm reading that it won't actually come with a ball hitch receiver, and that I need to make a Tesla Service Center appointment to get it installed? Or can I purchase an aftermarket one and install it myself?

Which ball hitch do people recommend for towing something like the 6x12? Is this going to be too heavy for the MY? I can see the trailer empty weighs 1920#, so in theory I can get 1580# loaded into the trailer, right?

Will I need to connect any kind of brake controller or light wiring harness?

Thanks in advance!
Those damn U-Haul trailers are so flat and boxy, I would be concerned about range. Is there some sort of composite shroud you can buy and install across the front face of that very flat trailer to improve your towing range????

Reactions: THEbuz
I noticed this posting:

Model Y - Caravan .jpg

Reactions: THEbuz
Thanks everyone for the helpful replies.

This was a very educational experience. First challenge: the rise needed to tow this trailer exceeded the Tesla spec of max 0.75" rise. The 2" ball hitch U-Haul sold us had a rise of 1". Even with this much rise, the trailer still wasnt fully level. 0.75" rise seems like an extremely limiting constraint here.

These trailers don't have jacks on their couplers! So we'd have to manually lift it off the ball hitch and back on. Talk about a slipped disk. Two of us were able to do this with the trailer empty, but our drive would have required 25 charging stops. No thanks, especially considering we might have to do this on a hill at some point and the trailer has no brakes.

We ended up returning the trailer. Hopefully our RV adventure goes a little better! Very few trailers you'd actually want to use fit into the weight constraints of the Y, then there's the rise issue I don't see mentioned at all.

Just wait till you see your increase in battery usage! That’s the real eye opener! I’ll stick to diesel when towing.
I'll stick with my S with Free Unlimited Supercharging :D But yes, the battery usage will make your jaw hit the floor, gotta slow it down. Once I averaged over 1,000 wh/mi 🤣
@Magneto3 just bring along a car jack (floor or spare) to use on the trailer behind the coupler. Also, you could trade for an S or X with air suspension and use it to put the trailer on and off a jack stand, lol.

Last edited: