Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR AWD vs Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll be placing my Model Y order in the next day or twobefore FSD price increases Nov 1, but I keep going back and forth with the LR AWD and the Performance and wanted some additional thoughts/opinions. For background, the Y will be mydaily driver with ~100 mi round trip commute (75% highway miles). Perks are the single occupant HOV access, free toll lane access for the alternative fuel vehicle, and of course everything we all know about owning a Tesla. Practically the LR AWD seems to be where I lean with the better price point, but if jumping into that price range, then why not just go for the Performance. However, the $7500 difference (19" wheels for the LR AWD), seems like a bit to end up with the same range. But that 3.5sec 0-60 seems too good to pass up. Thoughts, suggestions?

I'll be placing my Model Y order in the next day or twobefore FSD price increases Nov 1, but I keep going back and forth with the LR AWD and the Performance and wanted some additional thoughts/opinions. For background, the Y will be mydaily driver with ~100 mi round trip commute (75% highway miles). Perks are the single occupant HOV access, free toll lane access for the alternative fuel vehicle, and of course everything we all know about owning a Tesla. Practically the LR AWD seems to be where I lean with the better price point, but if jumping into that price range, then why not just go for the Performance. However, the $7500 difference (19" wheels for the LR AWD), seems like a bit to end up with the same range. But that 3.5sec 0-60 seems too good to pass up. Thoughts, suggestions?
As an owner of a dual motor non-performance Model 3 I can tell you, the acceleration is still breathtaking. There will be virtually nothing that can beat you onto the highway. Anything quicker is pure ego...and very expensive ego at that.

Dan

Reactions: Jabbahop
If you're like me, you'll end up getting the Performance model and then after a few months start wondering how low you can get your Wh/mile rating. In essence after having a non-performance S for a few years I was always wondering how the performance set lived. Now I know!

I use the performance as needed instead of how much I might want to, but otherwise drive fairly conservatively. I'm at 275 Wh/mile average over 14,000 miles, and still have a lot of rubber left on my first set of tires. Although 275 Wh/mile is now pretty much my baseline. It took about 3 weeks to drop from 276 to 275.

I probably would have been very happy with the original LR, but would have kept reading every article about the Performance. It that's you just buy it if you have the resources.

It is a great car.