Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR built in Giga Austin!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well Tesla said Austin cars will go to East coast so I guess everyone in the West will be forced to continue to take delivery of Fremont LR. So I don't think I'll ever have a choice. I would have to wait till they make changes to Fremont. I guess if you are in the East then you have a point. Question is, will it make a big enough difference to wait and wait for an Austin car?
Well watching the video above it's clear that ramp is the focus so I think theyll do whatever to get scale. For myself, I was a little sad not to get a 4680 car (delivery tomorrow) but not at all sad to get a 2170 Fremont vs one from Austin. I am just excited to get the car!

Austin doesn't have any 2170 cells so i'm not sure how they can be producing any LR model Ys.

Fremont, and Giga Berlin, don't have any 2170 cells either, but yet they both produce LR Model Ys. :rolleyes: They will do the same thing, ship 2170 packs in, likely from Giga Nevada.

But is it reasonable to think they 1) got the equipment, 2) shipped it to Austin, 3) installed and tested it and 4) started producing cars for delivery shortly? In 3 weeks? I mean, wouldn't it take at least a week to get it across the ocean?

They already had the equipment, it was waiting to be shipped. Depending on size they could have decided to ship via air, as they have done in the past when they needed something right away. As I recall they built the Model 3 line in the "tent" in about 3 weeks. So yeah, I think it is possible.

Reactions: Mrbrock
Seems odd that people would still be getting Fremont LR VINs as well though. Tesla really producing two different LRs simultaneously?
You think Fremont will stop producing Model Y? A factory producing 4000 a week will just stop making them? Do you know what that would do to wait times? Austin is making maybe 200 per week.

Tesla has said they will make MYLR with 2170 cells out of Austin so if these are 2170 then the models don't differ all that much. They also could tune the 4680 car to match performance/0-60/charging of a 2170. But I think if this is true then most likely these are the 2170 cars starting to come out of Austin even though 3 weeks ago Elon said the tooling was stuck in China to start doing so.
That would be something. All signs say a 4680 LR at 330 miles range will be slower and have a similar or slower charge curve when compared to 2170. Not sure how they’d be able to match 2170 in that case without risking damage to the pack. A 4680 pack with 330 miles of range will need to have at least 18% more cells, more like 20+ to overcome the extra weight.

The casting is still a major change though. Who in their right mind would take delivery of a Fremont LR if (and it’s a big IF) Austin is building a newer version?
There are lots of front megacasts at Fremont, they just need to start using them. On the flip side, there doesn’t appear to be much benefit to the front casts in the 4680 cars. You might be looking at 50-100# weight savings which will not be noticeable by anyone.

Apparently there has been so much miss information on this forum here that no believes anyone. I decided to post after finding this here and not Facebook groups I am on. I haven’t posted on Facebook yet but planned on it once I got the vin. I was told by end of week or early next week. After receiving the call from San Antonio gallery I was skeptical myself that I was getting a LR. I declined delivery of a SR AWD already and was very specific with my gallery that I was getting a long range. I am also not paying anymore money like I had to when offered the SR so they are honoring my existing order. I can certainly post my text with the gallery showing all this but I am sure it will stated here that it is fake and photoshopped. We will all see in a few days if we were duped. If anyone has any information on how to tell if the car has 4680 when delivered if you can post that. I will see if Tesla has a spec sheet they can print for me once I get the vin.

Reactions: SageBrush and voxel
I've got a Y-LR on order, live <30 miles from the factory and all I'm being offered is Y-AWD.
Just sayin'
With a may order date. They claim October so they’d be in front of you in line. Still find it fishy but it fits the timeline narrative vs your order.

Apparently there has been so much miss information on this forum here that no believes anyone. I decided to post after finding this here and not Facebook groups I am on. I haven’t posted on Facebook yet but planned on it once I got the vin. I was told by end of week or early next week. After receiving the call from San Antonio gallery I was skeptical myself that I was getting a LR. I declined delivery of a SR AWD already and was very specific with my gallery that I was getting a long range. I am also not paying anymore money like I had to when offered the SR so they are honoring my existing order. I can certainly post my text with the gallery showing all this but I am sure it will stated here that it is fake and photoshopped. We will all see in a few days if we were duped. If anyone has any information on how to tell if the car has 4680 when delivered if you can post that. I will see if Tesla has a spec sheet they can print for me once I get the vin.
Or they are getting a shipment from Fremont and an SA with no clue is saying they are from Austin because “why would Tesla ship cars from Fremont to Texas when there is a factory here?”

As others have stated amd you alluded to, it is too easy to fake texts and emails and even websites so the only way to debunk the rumors will be to pass a shot of the build plate on the front door sill. It’ll have the Austin vin and will have GVWR which should differ from SR and maybe from LR 2170. There Is also a battery thread in the M3 forum which tells you have to get a picture of the front battery label of a 2170 pack. With the 4680 being structural it will likely be a different view when taking that photo.

Reactions: KWC_Diu and DrGriz

I don't know if there is any way to determine except some internal knowledge on the car (SAs know if a Model Y has 15V, AMD, etc. but these are NOT listed on the window sticker).

Congrats on getting a MYLR VIN from Austin. Naysayers will be eating crow soon... lol.

Reactions: ddhir
But they are listed on the additional information screen in the car. (They added the aux battery and cabin heater types to the information in firmware 2022.16.)

Yes but battery types are not listed in the information screen. Heated wipers are not listed there either but SAs can determine if it has that feature via internal system (that we don't have access to).

I'd be curious if the LR is 4680 (which I highly doubt) or 2170.

Reactions: NYMY
Yes but battery types are not listed in the information screen. Heated wipers are not listed there either but SAs can determine if it has that feature via internal system (that we don't have access to).

I'd be curious if the LR is 4680 (which I highly doubt) or 2170.
If what others have said is true (that the supply of AWD from Tesla direct is dwindling) it might suggest they have stopped 4680-AWD production and shifted to 2170-LR/P where they can ramp without battery constraints (and switch back when the 4680 bottleneck is over)