Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR built in Giga Austin!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I would agree with you somewhat, with the exception that TMC is fairly far from "some random inconsequential online forum". I am just a volunteer moderator, but TMC is likely one of the largest Tesla enthusiast sites in the world, and tends to be the first site that comes up when you google issues about teslas and your vehicle.

Couple that with the fact that there were definitely people here before that specifically lied about this for "some reason" and I get peoples hesitancy. I really dont care either way, personally. I hope its true, and frankly of all the stuff that I read in this thread, the report from @voxel (that people seemed to skip over, but I didnt miss it), lends the most credence to this.

We will all find out, and for most people it doesnt impact them at all. I doubt these are "the new batteries", even if they are coming from "the new factory", so /shrug.
This site provides a very important service to its members who own Teslas. Much of the knowledge I have about my vehicle comes from this site. It’s especially important since the manufacturer has abdicated any responsibility to support or interact with its customers.

Where i feel it’s inconsequential is in its impact on the esteem of Tesla as a company. The few thousand folks who frequent this site don’t influence the few billion who are interested in Tesla as a company and innovator. Some members seem to feel that there is a shadow movement to infiltrate this site and bad mouth Tesla, and that this is gonna somehow adversely impact the company. That’s just hubris. What we say on this site is important to us, and how we interact with our vehicles, but it’s not to the outside world.

This site provides a very important service to its members who own Teslas. Much of the knowledge I have about my vehicle comes from this site. It’s especially important since the manufacturer has abdicated any responsibility to support or interact with its customers.

Where i feel it’s inconsequential is in its impact on the esteem of Tesla as a company. The few thousand folks who frequent this site don’t influence the few billion who are interested in Tesla as a company and innovator. Some members seem to feel that there is a shadow movement to infiltrate this site and bad mouth Tesla, and that this is gonna somehow adversely impact the company. That’s just hubris. What we say on this site is important to us, and how we interact with our vehicles, but it’s not to the outside world.

There are definitely those that think so, and although I am not one of them, I can tell you with 100% certainty (as in, I am not guessing, based on what I see as a mod here) that there definitely 100% are people who join here and attempt to "social media shame" tesla for some reason.

Whether its effective or not, I have no idea, and frankly dont care enough about the topic to try to figure that out. What I DO know, from my own personal experience in having to deal with it, however, is that it is not uncommon (at all) for people to join here simply to try to spin some story or other. This site is large enough that spin here WILL reach other blogs (many of whom read here or even participate here).

What I am not debating is, whether this is impactful to tesla or not. I dont know, and dont care. I do know there are tons of people who think it is, and the site is large enough that "publicity" here definitely reaches out elsewhere on the internet (just like other publicity like "I saw on facebook groups that XXXXXX" reaches here).

Probably adding to the conspiracy theorists here by being a new account..

Screenshot 2022-06-23 204710.png

There are definitely those that think so, and although I am not one of them, I can tell you with 100% certainty (as in, I am not guessing, based on what I see as a mod here) that there definitely 100% are people who join here and attempt to "social media shame" tesla for some reason.

Whether its effective or not, I have no idea, and frankly dont care enough about the topic to try to figure that out. What I DO know, from my own personal experience in having to deal with it, however, is that it is not uncommon (at all) for people to join here simply to try to spin some story or other. This site is large enough that spin here WILL reach other blogs (many of whom read here or even participate here).

What I am not debating is, whether this is impactful to tesla or not. I dont know, and dont care. I do know there are tons of people who think it is, and the site is large enough that "publicity" here definitely reaches out elsewhere on the internet (just like other publicity like "I saw on facebook groups that XXXXXX" reaches here).
for sure that happens - when news articles try to add a legitimizing veneer they use forum references.

ok, it's time to get a pool going on how many first time members we'll see in the next week, all claiming to have VINs for Austin LRs.

Second axis of the pool will be how many established members will do the same.
Yeah well you can believe it or not, but I've been on order since November and the VIN popped up in the app today after flucuating from anywhere from January 22 to Feb 23. It settled around July last week then the VIN showed up today. The VIN in my screenshot is different.

I got my MY LR VIN Today too, mine ends in the 4000 range and has the A for Austin. Delivery range is next week.

I believe this is unicorn-number-5 who also just so happened to join this board a handful of minutes ago.

Clearly anyone who wants an Austin MYLR simply needs to wipe their long standing board presence, wait for the unicorn to land in their backyard, and then join to announce what they're getting next week!

• Disagree
Reactions: SageBrush
Yeah well you can believe it or not, but I've been on order since November and the VIN popped up in the app today after flucuating from anywhere from January 22 to Feb 23. It settled around July last week then the VIN showed up today. The VIN in my screenshot is different.

and like all other unicorn-owners, you've never once joined nor posted here until this one thread, today.

We all hope you have actual unicorns to ride next week. The correlation between account-is-19-minutes-old and I-have-a-unicorn is pretty astonishing, especially when set alongside the hundreds if not thousands of well established users on here who have reservations but for some reason didn't win the unicorn lottery

• Disagree
Reactions: SageBrush
I Joined because I was surprised and saw this thread specifically. Happy to facetime and screenshare with someone if they'd like to see me open the Tesla app and navigate to my account. Why would anyone make it up?

This exact question has been asked in this very thread, and answered with trivial reference to the fleet of fake Austin-MY postings from earlier this year who were all frauds.

Given proven frauds exactly like this in the past, what's YOUR theory on why people do it?

and like all other unicorn-owners, you've never once joined nor posted here until this one thread, today.

We all hope you have actual unicorns to ride next week. The correlation between account-is-19-minutes-old and I-have-a-unicorn is pretty astonishing, especially when set alongside the hundreds if not thousands of well established users on here who have reservations but for some reason didn't win the unicorn lottery
I too made an account when I saw the original post and wanted to provide what I had heard as well. I know you won't believe anyone until we actually see the new MYLRs (hopefully next week!)
I have lurked here off and on for a year while researching and debating placing the order, but I never had anything of use to contribute since I'm not a Tesla owner...yet. I debated creating one of the weekly "what accessories should I buy???" threads, but used the search function instead. 😂
I imagine the other "unicorns" are in similar situations. As soon as my SA told me I was getting a LR from Austin, I immediately went to google since I didn't think they were producing those yet. Hence where I, and many others it seems, found this thread.

Reactions: ddhir
I too made an account when I saw the original post and wanted to provide what I had heard as well. I know you won't believe anyone until we actually see the new MYLRs (hopefully next week!)
I have lurked here off and on for a year while researching and debating placing the order, but I never had anything of use to contribute since I'm not a Tesla owner...yet. I debated creating one of the weekly "what accessories should I buy???" threads, but used the search function instead. 😂
I imagine the other "unicorns" are in similar situations. As soon as my SA told me I was getting a LR from Austin, I immediately went to google since I didn't think they were producing those yet. Hence where I, and many others it seems, found this thread.
Same with me, these types of car forums are so useless to me, especially when I already have a Model 3, I don't have any questions about Teslas that need answering and I'm not so obsessive I have to troll the forums while I wait.