Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR built in Giga Austin!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm this user and the Zen Garden person are both from places in California that begin with Santa and joined within a month of each other. Unless someone can prove otherwise I’m gonna assume this is the same person with multiple accounts.

That’s apparently a reasonable assumption for this forum.

7EEFD891-D727-4133-B534-F0E001946EF9.jpeg

Reactions: ddhir
Seven brand new accounts on this thread, plus the person that started the thread, all with MYLR from Austin. 🤔
I'm tending to believe them as it's possible. I suppose my question is to what purpose would these people (or one person) have for making this up? If it's just to get a rise out of people on the forums then....jeez.....someone needs a new hobby lol.

Reactions: ddhir and Suns_PSD
I'm tending to believe them as it's possible. I suppose my question is to what purpose would these people (or one person) have for making this up? If it's just to get a rise out of people on the forums then....jeez.....someone needs a new hobby lol.
Well that’s the thing… eventually seeing MYLR out of Austin is a plausible enough story to give one person the benefit of the doubt. All these brand new accounts posting for the first time on this thread with the same story is pretty incredible though. I think you figured out the motive, i.e., “to get a rise out of people.” And it worked. 🍿

I also just opened an account today to post that I have a Model Y on order and had a delivery date of Sept-Nov. I got a Call from San Antonio Tesla on Tue along with a txt message "LVM about accelerated delivery due to EOQ Austin Model Y. Please confirm you are available last couple of days of the month and are prepared to insure and fund same day as match!" Also included the phone number and extension to call.
I called them and sure enough San Antonio is getting 40-60 MY LR built at Giga Austin. These are not the standard range MY that they have been trying to convince me to take early delivery of. The SA did not know what battery was in the car but they will let me know once the VIN is assigned in the next day or 2. I was told I cannot Trade in a vehicle for this purchase and I must take delivery on the 29th or 30th otherwise it will be offered to the next person in line. I placed my order in March

Oops, I missed Kurt Dorsey’s post. Looks like we’re at EIGHT accounts created only yesterday on this thread with the same Austin MYLR story. Maybe I missed a few more.

How many active N. American TMC members are there ?
I'd like to use that number to estimate the fraction of Tesla owners that are active on TMC

It's meant to give a little context to the idea that if a long-time, valued member is not posting direct experience about an emerging happening in the Tesla world, it must be a fake post.

So you would prefer a first run car off a new assembly line made by a team of new hires over the same car produced by experienced factory workers who have delivered hundreds of thousands of these vehicles?

Yes.
Easily

Elon touched on this point. He said that fit and finish has something of bathtub curve. Initially extremely good as the first cars are manually tweaked, then a low point for a while until manufacturing processes are brought up to standard.

I also have another motive: I want to keep the car for a long time but I hate squeaks. For that the casting is going to be superior to current Fremont manufacturing, a slightly misaligned panel or three notwithstanding.

Last edited:
Reactions: pepperoni
Smaller kWh pack likely not able to safely put out the needed current regardless of cell type.
Maybe it’s a move to further differentiate the offerings. With the AB the AWD version achieves the same acceleration as the LR. If your strategy is to have a good/better/best (with respect to performance) product line you would need to have a bigger gap between the AWD and LR.

Maybe it’s a move to further differentiate the offerings. With the AB the AWD version achieves the same acceleration as the LR. If your strategy is to have a good/better/best (with respect to performance) product line you would need to have a bigger gap between the AWD and LR.

It is not at all uncommon in Tesla land for a new battery to be peak current nerfed for a while, and then get unleashed as it proves itself in the field. Bjorn Nyland has documented this multiple times in his charging tests

Smaller kWh pack likely not able to safely put out the needed current regardless of cell type.
I think its simpler than that. It was either a mistake and they never meant to offer it.. or the description was wrong. Its essentially copy/pasted from the MYLR as it clearly said reduces 0-60 from 4.8 to 4.2 seconds. The MYSR AWD only advertises 0-60 in 5.0 If they are truly going to offer it, they need to correct the description and be more accurate with the actual increase in acceleration.

As for the pack it's not that much smaller. It reads as a 68kWh pack and MYLR comes with 75kWh (or 82kWh pack depending on what source you believe). Hell I wouldn't be surprised if the real world efficiency between the two vehicles was closer than what is indicated with the EPA numbers.

I think its simpler than that. It was either a mistake and they never meant to offer it.. or the description was wrong. Its essentially copy/pasted from the MYLR as it clearly said reduces 0-60 from 4.8 to 4.2 seconds. The MYSR AWD advertised 0-60 in 4.8.. it was 5.0 If they are truly going to offer it, they need to correct the description.

As for the pack its not that much smaller. It reads as a 68kWh pack and MYLR comes with either 75 or 82kWh pack depending on what source you believe.
I agree it was a mistake when it was listed for the Austin SR. LR has an 82kWh pack vs SR of around 68. No way the LR Y is getting 330 miles of range from a 75kWh pack. (75 may be usable not total).