Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR built in Giga Austin!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Confirmed with my SA gallery location that it will be from Austin and I have vin but it has not been assigned yet as the car is being produced. Was told they were updated on the vehicle yesterday when I stopped in, that it will be a structural battery pack but with 2170 batteries. I was told the 4680 line isn’t up to the levels needed to make LR 4680. So still an Austin build and structural but not 4680. They were told that there will be a 700 car push for Texas out of Austin over a two day period for deliveries. They hope anyways. Active post on Facebook Tesla owners of central Texas Austin San Antonio group regarding this topic.
So structural but with 2170...it is going to mean that it will become a very rare combination...I hope that has no implications for the future

I agree it was a mistake when it was listed for the Austin SR. LR has an 82kWh pack vs SR of around 68. No way the LR Y is getting 330 miles of range from a 75kWh pack. (75 may be usable not total).
Well, it's not getting 330 from the 82 kWh pack either.... ;) My car was made before the switch so has the 77 kWh pack, back when the range was 316 or so.

Well, it's not getting 330 from the 82 kWh pack either.... ;) My car was made before the switch so has the 77 kWh pack, back when the range was 316 or so.
I'm not following your logic, you had smaller pack with less range than current pack.
My M3LR gets 340 miles from 75kwh in total
OK I'm confused then, the pack size has increased but the range has dropped?

I could be wrong but I thought they were both at 4.2 when you purchase the AB. So not giving the AWD the option for an AB makes the performance difference more dramatic
I'm sure there will be an AB for the AWD but they likely forgot about it and the LR option carried over by accident which is why it was removed.. It will likely show up again with different increases.

Reactions: JRP3
How many active N. American TMC members are there ?
I'd like to use that number to estimate the fraction of Tesla owners that are active on TMC

It's meant to give a little context to the idea that if a long-time, valued member is not posting direct experience about an emerging happening in the Tesla world, it must be a fake post.
I mean it’s not difficult to believe they released a bunch of VINs all at once to try to get deliveries done at the end of the Quarter. Myself I was very surprised it was even being delivered much less from Austin given that we knew only the Standard range was being built. So where else is there to go but a forum that already has a topic on it? I already had a Model 3 and mostly just follow along on Reddit as traditional forums are a holdover from the beginnings of the internet and are on the way out.

But seeing the general reaction and the outright ridiculously mean responses I see no need to continue to contribute here further. The people that post here seem to think they’re the most valuable Tesla owners and how could a lowly commoner get a delivery when someone who has an account here hasn’t yet. Y’all make up an incredibly tiny percentage of people who own or have pending orders out, and somehow it’s gone to your heads.

But seeing the general reaction and the outright ridiculously mean responses I see no need to continue to contribute here further. The people that post here seem to think they’re the most valuable Tesla owners and how could a lowly commoner get a delivery when someone who has an account here hasn’t yet. Y’all make up an incredibly tiny percentage of people who own or have pending orders out, and somehow it’s gone to your heads.
To be fair we've seen a lot of insane things done over the years to try and damage the company including misinformation being posted on this forum. It's understandable that people are paranoid. However in this case I don't doubt what's being posted because I see very little upside from creating accounts to fake this data, it won't really affect anything one way or the other.

Reactions: Dayreg
I mean it’s not difficult to believe they released a bunch of VINs all at once to try to get deliveries done at the end of the Quarter. Myself I was very surprised it was even being delivered much less from Austin given that we knew only the Standard range was being built. So where else is there to go but a forum that already has a topic on it? I already had a Model 3 and mostly just follow along on Reddit as traditional forums are a holdover from the beginnings of the internet and are on the way out.

Please do not include me in your rant, I agree with you. My earlier post was an attempt to show with math that a group of eight new to the forum posting about a new MIA MYLR is not statistically a red flag. E.g., even if TMC veterans are 10% of the Austin cohort the likelihood that none are represented in the first 8 lucky receipients would be 0.9^8 = 43%

Last edited:
Reactions: Twiglett

Agreed. Received a much more welcoming reaction on Facebook believe it or not. This was the only post I originally saw when trying to search online for others maybe getting one. Joined so I could share my good news too and backup the op.

Reactions: ddhir and Avianz
I finally got a call from Tesla about my Austin built LR. They said they can only deliver on the 29th or 30th and don’t yet know what day the car will be there. They said it is 2170 battery and not structural battery pack. Said it is “exactly like the Fremont build”. I also got a text an hour ago saying Austin builds are 280 mile versions, but at this point have to believe that was from someone at Tesla who didn’t know anything about the new LR deliveries next week. The call I got was consistent with the reports here that they are only doing deliveries if you don’t have a trade in and are not using third party funding. This suggests the majority or all the people posting here from Texas are legit.

I finally got a call from Tesla about my Austin built LR. They said they can only deliver on the 29th or 30th and don’t yet know what day the car will be there. They said it is 2170 battery and not structural battery pack. Said it is “exactly like the Fremont build”. I also got a text an hour ago saying Austin builds are 280 mile versions, but at this point have to believe that was from someone at Tesla who didn’t know anything about the new LR deliveries next week. The call I got was consistent with the reports here that they are only doing deliveries if you don’t have a trade in and are not using third party funding. This suggests the majority or all the people posting here from Texas are legit.
Clearly just trying to pressure you into taking delivery before the quarter is over. It’s not like they’re going to give the car away if you can’t take delivery by then. Financing paperwork could be why mine doesn’t have a set date yet, and I had initially set it as trade in and removed it.

I'm not following your logic, you had smaller pack with less range than current pack.

OK I'm confused then, the pack size has increased but the range has dropped?
I don't know what the logic is. All I know is that my car was made prior to them moving to the slightly larger pack (which began with the MYP) and is rated at 326 according to the window sticker (316 above was my typo). Perhaps they just never bothered to EPA retest the car.

Here is a thread that discusses this at the time - Model Y 82kW Battery Pack

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3
End of quarter really is when the wheels fall off in terms of accuracy of communication, so until folks start taking possession of their cars we are probably going to be in the fog of uncertainty.
I only ordered in May, so I'm hoping the recent changes to my EDD are due to Austin LR's coming available. But more and more hopeful it really will be from Austin.
Interestingly, my EDD was December-March, now its specific dates Dec 23rd-February 17th

Reactions: advocate8
I don't know what the logic is. All I know is that my car was made prior to them moving to the slightly larger pack (which began with the MYP) and is rated at 326 according to the window sticker (316 above was my typo). Perhaps they just never bothered to EPA retest the car.

Here is a thread that discusses this at the time - Model Y 82kW Battery Pack
I think Tesla started rating the range a bit more conservatively, and/or maybe reserving a larger portion of the pack capacity for increased durability.