Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR built in Giga Austin!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think Tesla started rating the range a bit more conservatively, and/or maybe reserving a larger portion of the pack capacity for increased durability.
Austin is going to have to build non-4680 cars. Otherwise the factory will be all but useless at some point since its current production rate is capped by battery production.
Who knows if they’re doing long range yet.
I sympathize with posters who are offended by the response here. But there has been one senseless Austin fraud case after another and the fact these cases ARE senseless is hardly a reason to start believing them without reservation now….really there’s nothing to talk about until one is in the hands of an owner who can post proof they’re real.

Yeah I agree, no reason for a person to have an account a few months before delivery.
there are no shortage of reasons for someone to get an account when they're in the serious shopping mode, about to order, or just past ordering.

Despite the very limited choices you have, the actual information Tesla provides on wheel choices is readable in 20 seconds. And of course the mysteries of the EDD, the highly variable cost of insurance, charging considerations, so forth.

I'd still be waiting for a LR if I hadn't read the discussion on changing the build specs while keeping prior pricing. This let me reconsider the LR and P decision and see I picked wrong before. Instead I vaulted forward when the Q1 end meant everyone near Fremont was top priority.

The good thing here is that the Q2 rush means we'll have answers by next Thursday.

Confirmed on Teslarati, Austin will build MYLR se as Fremont. VIN's are going out now.
That’s meaningless. I read it. with all due respect, the previous frauds were “confirmed” the exact same way. Here, on Sawyer’s Twitter feed (at least two fakes for him) and the same sort of confirmation by Bearded Tesla Guy.
Reputed VIN recipients reached out…. Blah blah blah.
Sawyer apologized for one, doubled down on the other. Bearded never apologized.
The only solid proof prob won’t emerge until there are deliveries.
This may be the moment for that soon…but for now there’s nothing we can rely on.

Did you guys know that the structural battery pack is removable? So , I guess the only difference between the structural vs non structural will be just casing of the battery pack which will be really stronger than the non battery pack.

Given that the structural pack is basically holding the car together and the seats are bolted directly into it... I kinda doubt it can easily be "removed". This change heads in the opposite direction - a lot like computers which used to have socketed removable chips and now everything is soldered together in the name of efficiency and cost savings.

Given that the structural pack is basically holding the car together and the seats are bolted directly into it... I kinda doubt it can easily be "removed". This change heads in the opposite direction - a lot like computers which used to have socketed removable chips and now everything is soldered together in the name of efficiency and cost savings.
This.

It can also be summed up as, less parts = cheaper for Tesla

It is removable. I am looking at the service manual with pictures now! =)

Reactions: ZenRockGarden
All of these people pining for the full casting are going to be bummed when their car is deemed a total loss after a minor fender bender…. Can’t wait for those posts. Lol
If that's a serious post then it shows you don't really understand vehicle construction in general or the castings in specific. A fender bender will not impact the castings and any crash that does impact the castings would also have damaged the unibody frame of a conventional vehicle and likely lead to a total loss. However since the front and rear casting can be unbolted from the pack and replaced it might mean the vehicles are in reality less likely to be totalled, especially in a front end crash. Side and rear impacts that damage the frame will usually be a total loss in any vehicle.

Is that after removing all the seats, carpeting, heating ducting, low voltage wiring, and trim?

I suppose the 2170 variant might have a frame/shell for structure and then a pack within.... Everything I've seen on the original 4680 design pointed in the direction that it -was- the floor of the car (so removable, but at a take-the-whole-car-apart level)

Reactions: JRP3 and advocate8
Everything I've seen on the original 4680 design pointed in the direction that it -was- the floor of the car
Exactly. Here's a display version partially assembled to show the components attached to the top of the pack:

1656119006673.png

Reactions: advocate8