Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR built in Giga Austin!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious why the casting would have anything to do with how the doors are mounted? Last I checked they are not screwed to the frame of the car.

I was more thinking the rear end where we’ve seen tons of issues with rear lights, charging doors, and back hatch.

Mis-aligned doors and panels are extremely common on Tesla's so the good thing is that its mostly fixable. Depending on how bad the alignment is, you can easily do it yourself (torx bit, rubber mallet, and a youtube guide are all you need) or you will have to drop off the car for a day or two for them to fix it. The bad part is that many times, "fixing" the mis-aligned door or panel can lead to other issues like the door being harder to close or introducing wind/water leaks. So if the alignment isn't too bad, lots of Tesla owners will tell you to just accept it as "within spec".

Cargo cover should be obvious: open your hatch and either you see a cargo cover over the trunk area or not.

Magnetic armrest is also easy to tell: the old style has a little button you have to press to open up the armrest console while the magnetic one is obviously just a magnet.
Could not open car to see inside. So yes obvious if I can open it. I was able to partially see in trunk and appeared to have it. Others confirming it comes with it.

You know, the hope was that misaligned panels would be a thing of the past with mega castings...it's really disheartening to hear that they still cant get this right. I guess the issue is with the actual doors, headlights, frunk, and trunk pieces.....

Well the castings (subframe) have nothing to do with the outside panels which are just bolted on top of the body (many times by hand due to Tesla trying to meet delivery targets).

Alignment issues are due to management and work ethic. Management is clearly pushing for numbers instead of quality still. There is a reason china builds are better. It has nothing to do with the design of a Tesla. It's the people and commitment to quality. This Also happens with legacy auto but dealers touch these issues up before we see them. Tesla service centers do not have the capacity or give af. Give it time. Hopefully we will get there.

Alignment issues are due to management and work ethic. Management is clearly pushing for numbers instead of quality still. There is a reason china builds are better. It has nothing to do with the design of a Tesla. It's the people and commitment to quality. This Also happens with legacy auto but dealers touch these issues up before we see them. Tesla service centers do not have the capacity or give af. Give it time. Hopefully we will get there.
Yes, it’s a shame that Austin is starting off on a bad foot...it’s hard to change a culture once it’s begun..nobody wants to do more than they did in the first week, that’s when you are trying to impress the most...and then as these workers get promoted and become mentors for the next induction of staff it gets perpetuated.
I have a China car and it’s perfect, as good as any premium car in its build quality. I wonder what the Berlin cars are like....

Reactions: Suns_PSD
this could be driven by the pressure of meeting Q2 milestones, and settle quickly next month. But it does look like the people hoping Tesla would go above and beyond on QC for the first units were mistaken.
I've bought a number of Hondas never had a misaligned panel.

This is a failure on Tesla part. End of a quarter is no excuse. It's not like they need strong financials to get cash or avoid bankruptcy. Company is financially fine. Just poor build quality.

I've bought a number of Hondas never had a misaligned panel.

This is a failure on Tesla part. End of a quarter is no excuse. It's not like they need strong financials to get cash or avoid bankruptcy. Company is financially fine. Just poor build quality.
German engineering, VW:

20220630_065509.jpg

Pickup my Austin made car today. Sounds like you guys are saying there is widespread problems? I’ve seen mostly good reports so far.

What should I keep an eye out for today when I take delivery to protect myself?
I took a copy of this with me, and my wife also had a copy.

Except for the fact that most new MY have the same issue with gaps on the left side where the trunk meets the roof….unless there’s one cross-eyed person at the plant doing every MY then it’s something else.

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3 and Nimilol
I am taking delivery tomorrow. I just stopped by and took a look at it. 3 out of my 4 doors and trunk are severely misaligned. Is this an easy fix at pickup or do I need to bring it into service/mobile tech. This is my second MYLR. Sold the first …snip
If Tesla seems the issues out of specifications, they will attempt to fix or send to body shop. You might have to try to service centers. First might say everything in spec and second say not in spec. This is what happened to me in 1/2022. In the end everything got fixed to my satisfaction. My trunk hatch was so misaligned that it made drum like rattles when I drove but visually was not bad looking. I just noticed one side hugged the car and other side had gap. Search my posts and I am sure you will find my before and after photos.

Reactions: JoeTech