Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR built in Giga Austin!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks let's not pretend Tesla is the only manufacturer with QC issues.
Yeah but according to the same study you linked Tesla was far worse than most. The industry average was 180 problems per 100 vehicles, Tesla was at 226; only 6 of 36 manufactures had more problems. When you’re paying $70K for a product it shouldn’t be in the bottom quartile of quality.

• Love
Reactions: voip-ninja
I am taking delivery tomorrow. I just stopped by and took a look at it. 3 out of my 4 doors and trunk are severely misaligned. Is this an easy fix at pickup or do I need to bring it into service/mobile tech. This is my second MYLR. Sold the first which was a dealer inventory. Little disheartening that I waited 7 months for this. I know Tesla has known quality issues and being a new factory I was afraid of this. Just didn’t want to wait till September/October. From what I can tell I do have the cargo cover, not sure about the magnetic armrest.
I wouldn’t accept delivery. They might be able to fix them to your satisfaction, but maybe not.

I wouldn’t accept delivery. They might be able to fix them to your satisfaction, but maybe not.
True, if the panel gaps & misalignments are not acceptable and you don’t want to risk tesla not being able to address to satisfaction or refuse to try stating issues are within specifications , then reject the car.
In my case for whatever reasons I did not notice the visual issues until a week later although I looked at car for 45 minutes before driving off Tesla’s lot. The trunk making snare drum sounds and my ears feeling plugged up due to pressure changes in cabin we’re only noticed when on freeway or roads.
I got lucky and the 5 or 6 gap/alignment issues were fixxed by Tesla. The fixes corrected trunk snare drum noises and cabin pressure issues. Not everyone gets lucky. If a car gets rejected multiple times, I suspect at some point tesla would try to address the issues. One never knows.

Last edited:
This is a failure on Tesla part. End of a quarter is no excuse. It's not like they need strong financials to get cash or avoid bankruptcy. Company is financially fine. Just poor build quality.
Yes, their Q1 numbers were their best ever, yet Elon follows that up with some out of blue layoffs, mostly (I think) to blunt the significant drop in delivered cars for Q2 due to Shanghai.

The stock price is based on unicorn happy path performance. If they don't deliver 100% YoY,. it falters. So they're still acting very much in the short term, not the longer term as you see at Honda and Toyota. These layoffs of people they just hired, gave no notice to, will have some detrimental impact of future hiring. They've been in a strong position for this, but so was Facebook once, and now...different picture.

Q3 should show outstanding numbers as Shanghai is closer to normality, Austin is now moving volume, and Berlin also ramps up. We'll see if it still has the same last 2 week dash in September.

Reactions: Suns_PSD
More likely any complaints are not posted here due to China firewall and people in China knowing not to speak negatively about quality of products made in China else they face the wrath of the government.

Don't forget EU gets MIC MYs generally received higher remakrs on QC and build qualities vs Fremont.

Unless of course you think EU is censored like China.

Last edited:
Don't forget EU gets MIC MYs generally received higher remakrs on QC and build qualities vs Fremont.

Unless of course you think EU is censored like China.
You might be correct that EU is not as censored as China...here is an EU citizen reporting quality issue with his China made model y in 2022. Another EU customer sold their MIC Model 3.

Ayo… I take delivery tomorrow and the delivery center is 5 mins from where I work. How do I locate my car? Do I just start looking for my vin or is the staff accommodating?
Yeah but according to the same study you linked Tesla was far worse than most. The industry average was 180 problems per 100 vehicles, Tesla was at 226; only 6 of 36 manufactures had more problems. When you’re paying $70K for a product it shouldn’t be in the bottom quartile of quality.
One of those six is VW, and across all brands BEVs average 240, which Tesla beats.

Reactions: CyberGus
You know, the hope was that misaligned panels would be a thing of the past with mega castings...it's really disheartening to hear that they still cant get this right. I guess the issue is with the actual doors, headlights, frunk, and trunk pieces.....
Well, they CAN and HAVE gotten it right. My car was fine. But I suspect at EOQ they are doing less QA at the factory in an effort to deliver cars. So, with Tesla, it's a take-off on the old 'Don't buy a car built on a Monday or Tuesday' - 'Don't buy a Tesla built after mid-March/June/Sept/Dec'... :cool:

• Funny
Reactions: CyberGus
Well, they CAN and HAVE gotten it right. My car was fine. But I suspect at EOQ they are doing less QA at the factory in an effort to deliver cars. So, with Tesla, it's a take-off on the old 'Don't buy a car built on a Monday or Tuesday' - 'Don't buy a Tesla built after mid-March/June/Sept/Dec'... :cool:
You joke.. but that's probably good advice. Mine was built in February and it's pretty much perfect. I spent a good 2hours overlooking everything before actually clicking accept on delivery and the best I could come up with was an interior panel in the hatch area that wasn't perfectly lined up.