Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR built in Giga Austin!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you want another $5k price increase for that? I sure don't!
???? ANy damaged caused by Tesla should be fixed by tesla and any dameage caused during transport is paid by the transport company or teslas own insurance so in the end it shouldnt cost tesla a dime to ensure that customer deliveries arrive in great condition, The Problem is that they are leaving the factory in crap condition and tesla is only fixing what people complain about. Anyone who accecpts crap deserves everything they get.

Ok, you guys are killing me.

I wasn’t serious about my Tesla “dealer center” idea. I was trying to point out that traditional dealerships perform the final QC on delivered vehicles, with a full detail to give the owner the highest possible initial impression.

Sure, Tesla lacks the dealership veneer and polish, but isn’t that an acceptable compromise for the benefit of avoiding the whole dealership experience?

I've never had this horrific experience at a dealership. Maybe some people do not like negotiating, but I look at it for what it is.. a transaction, nothing more, nothing less. They are trying to make as much profit on each sale.. I am trying to pay the lowest price on every car I purchase. This is not a surprise to anyone. I have no loyalty to any dealer, or brand, or particular vehicle. I am simply shopping for the best value on the vehicle I want to purchase. This means I literally have hundreds of dealers to choose from and it's advantageous to me that they have to compete on price to get my money.

I also don't just walk into dealerships looking at shiny new cars. I do my homework first. This means searching around the internet for what prices others are paying, finding the dealerships that honor the lowest pricing and I have my financing pre-approved. This is all done before I walk into the dealership. Most importantly, before I ever step foot into a dealership, I email dealers inquiring about their OTD "out-the-door" price. This is their itemized price with all the extras including.. delivery, fees, discounts, markups, taxes, tags, and title. Dealers will either give you the pricing upfront.. or if they refuse.. I move on to another dealership that will. And being able to move on to another dealer is exactly what makes the dealership model attractive to me. I do not have to purchase my car from a specific dealer or at a specific price. I can always find a cheaper price.. just takes a little homework to find it.

Once I find a dealer who agrees with the OTD pricing I'm looking for.. I head to the dealer to purchase the car. Outside of the Finance guy offering the usual extra market & protection packages.. which I've already told him upfront I'm going to say: "No to everything". I bring home that new car in about an hour. This was precisely the scenario when I bought my wife's ID.4 for MSRP about 8 months ago. And the dealer even matched the Carvana trade-in quote.. which saved us another $2,000 in sales tax. The exact same experience for the 5-6 cars I bought before. Do your homework, know what price you are willing to pay, treat it like a business transaction, and move on with your life.

Whereas when I purchased my Model Y.. I was very surprised to see Tesla was the one who wanted to play games. The internet offer for my trade-in was original $21,000 when I put down the $100 deposit and reserved my 2021 Model Y. When it was time to take delivery of the Y.. the offer magically dropped to $19,000. Their reason was because of a dime-sized dent in one of the pictures.. a dent any paintless dent repair shop would fix for $25. I know this because random PDR guys in parking lots have offered to fix it for $25. I ended up refusing Tesla's low ball offer.. listed the car on Facebook Marketplace and sold the same vehicle just 2 days later to a local Honda dealership for $23,000. Already $4,000 more than what Tesla offered. As far as the dent.. the Honda dealer laughed at it. Then the Honda dealer even went a step further and helped me refund the prepaid maintenance & extended warranty I had purchased on the Honda. Something I was not aware you could do. A week later I got an additional $1,200 check from Honda Financial.

All done.. I saved over $5,000 by avoiding Tesla lack of dealership veneer & polish by refusing to trade in my car to them.

I've never had this horrific experience at a dealership. Maybe some people do not like negotiating, but I look at it for what it is.. a transaction, nothing more, nothing less. They are trying to make as much profit on each sale.. I am trying to pay the lowest price on every car I purchase. This is not a surprise to anyone. I have no loyalty to any dealer, or brand, or particular vehicle. I am simply shopping for the best value on the vehicle I want to purchase. This means I literally have hundreds of dealers to choose from and it's advantageous to me that they have to compete on price to get my money.

I also don't just walk into dealerships looking at shiny new cars. I do my homework first. This means searching around the internet for what prices others are paying, finding the dealerships that honor the lowest pricing and I have my financing pre-approved. This is all done before I walk into the dealership. Most importantly, before I ever step foot into a dealership, I email dealers inquiring about their OTD "out-the-door" price. This is their itemized price with all the extras including.. delivery, fees, discounts, markups, taxes, tags, and title. Dealers will either give you the pricing upfront.. or if they refuse.. I move on to another dealership that will. And being able to move on to another dealer is exactly what makes the dealership model attractive to me. I do not have to purchase my car from a specific dealer or at a specific price. I can always find a cheaper price.. just takes a little homework to find it.

Once I find a dealer who agrees with the OTD pricing I'm looking for.. I head to the dealer to purchase the car. Outside of the Finance guy offering the usual extra market & protection packages.. which I've already told him upfront I'm going to say: "No to everything". I bring home that new car in about an hour. This was precisely the scenario when I bought my wife's ID.4 for MSRP about 8 months ago. And the dealer even matched the Carvana trade-in quote.. which saved us another $2,000 in sales tax. The exact same experience for the 5-6 cars I bought before. Do your homework, know what price you are willing to pay, treat it like a business transaction, and move on with your life.

Whereas when I purchased my Model Y.. I was very surprised to see Tesla was the one who wanted to play games. The internet offer for my trade-in was original $21,000 when I put down the $100 deposit and reserved my 2021 Model Y. When it was time to take delivery of the Y.. the offer magically dropped to $19,000. Their reason was because of a dime-sized dent in one of the pictures.. a dent any paintless dent repair shop would fix for $25. I know this because random PDR guys in parking lots have offered to fix it for $25. I ended up refusing Tesla's low ball offer.. listed the car on Facebook Marketplace and sold the same vehicle just 2 days later to a local Honda dealership for $23,000. Already $4,000 more than what Tesla offered. As far as the dent.. the Honda dealer laughed at it. Then the Honda dealer even went a step further and helped me refund the prepaid maintenance & extended warranty I had purchased on the Honda. Something I was not aware you could do. A week later I got an additional $1,200 check from Honda Financial.

All done.. I saved over $5,000 by avoiding Tesla lack of dealership veneer & polish by refusing to trade in my car to them.
Again, Tesla doesn't want your old ICE vehicle. They have no ability to put it on their lot and sell it. So OF COURSE they are going to lowball you. I don't understand why people don't seem to get this. Just sell it to Carvana or whomever. Tesla should just stop the whole trade-in thing.

I've never had this horrific experience at a dealership.

It's widely known and publicized that Tesla trade-in offers are the lowest out of anyone online. You wasted your time even trying to trade-in with Tesla. Carvana, Driveway, and Vroom should've been your first shot out of the box for a high trade-in offer.

It doesn't sound like it was that horrific, you got a low price and should've hit the internet for more quotes.

Again, Tesla doesn't want your old ICE vehicle. They have no ability to put it on their lot and sell it. So OF COURSE they are going to lowball you. I don't understand why people don't seem to get this. Just sell it to Carvana or whomever. Tesla should just stop the whole trade-in thing.
In my case, Tesla just used a commercial car trader to take your trade in... the only advantage to using Tesla to arrange it is that you can leave your old car at the Tesla pick up center while you drive off in your new Tesla.

Reactions: DrGriz
It's widely known and publicized that Tesla trade-in offers are the lowest out of anyone online. You wasted your time even trying to trade-in with Tesla. Carvana, Driveway, and Vroom should've been your first shot out of the box for a high trade-in offer.

It doesn't sound like it was that horrific, you got a low price and should've hit the internet for more quotes.
I never said it was horrific. I said they gave me an even lower offer (by about $2,000) than what they originally quoted.

Next time before you rush so quickly to downvote my post.. take some time to actually read what I wrote.

Its important to do that if we are going to have an honest conversation and not just be a bunch of fanboys.

For your information, I checked Carvana and Vroom before initially agreeing on Tesla's initial offer. The others were higher by $600-$800.. but the added sales tax credit while trading in made the one-stop transaction made easier and initially more attractive. Once they lowered their offer.. at the last minute.. I was no longer interested in trading my vehicle in. They literally lowered the offer their offer by $2,000 the day before I set to accept delivery.

Last edited:

Again where is this written? Where can I go to find out "Tesla doesn't want your old ICE vehicle". Can you show me that on Tesla.com? Furthermore, my biggest issue wasn't the lowball offer.. its was that they lowered the offer at the last minute. They did not honor the price they originally quoted me.

And yes I agree. If Tesla truly doesn't want my "old ICE vehicle".. then they should stop the whole trade-in thing.

Last edited:
No other purchase involves this process. Imagine haggling over every item you purchase. It's a time wasting game.
If an hour search on the internet means saving thousands of dollars.. I will do it every time. Maybe your time is worth significantly more than your money, But I save a significant amount every time. Same way I would google search for the lowest price on most products.. before I click the buy button on random websites.

Truecar and Carguru will show you immediately what's considered a poor, fair, good, and great price on a vehicle. At that point either a dealer is willing to accept that price or not. If not, I move on.

And depending on your country/state you could also save sales tax on the trade-in value.
This. Plus the ease of a one-stop transaction is why most people tend to trade in their vehicle when buying a new one.

Even now if I were to trade my Y for another vehicle... I would get credited at least $3,600 sales tax on my next purchase in the state of MD. That means any competing offers to buy my Model Y straight up.. would have to be at least $4,000 higher than whatever my trade-in offer was to make it worthwhile.

Again where is this written? Where can I go to find out "Tesla doesn't want your old ICE vehicle". Can you show me that on Tesla.com? Furthermore, my biggest issue wasn't the lowball offer.. its was that they lowered the offer at the last minute. They did not honor the price they originally quoted me.

And yes I agree. If Tesla truly doesn't want my "old ICE vehicle".. then they should stop the whole trade-in thing.
Tesla lowered the price of my tradein almost every 2 months while I waited for delivery. The price they quote you is at the time of the Quote a. They have you update mileage every couple month and then they will re-evaluate the quote and then they will give a final quote before delivery. So the fact that they didn't honor your origional quote if more then 30 days is no real surprise.

Although it is not written, the only tradeins Tesla wants are Teslas beause Tesla does not resell or keep any tradeins on their lot like other dealers with the exception of Teslas. Ice trades are sold in bulk to a 3rd party or auction so Tesla generaly takes the lower end of a cars value to cover themselves.

My car was a POS and if it didn't literally break down 4 days before I would have taken anything fori t :) ... If you want convenience then tradein with Tesla, if you want Value then go with a third party.

Reactions: Daekwan
Furthermore, my biggest issue wasn't the lowball offer.. its was that they lowered the offer at the last minute

That would chap my hide, but ... it's possible that the original offer was time limited and you just happened to hit that threshold the day before you took delivery

Regardless, maybe you enjoy negotiating, some people do. Personally, I'd prefer to see a price, read a list of what you got for that, possibly add in some first person reviews (taken with a pinch of salt), calculate distances and times involved and make a purchase that way.

After all you negotiated, but you'll never know whether or not you could have actually done better

Tesla lowered the price of my tradein almost every 2 months while I waited for delivery. The price they quote you is at the time of the Quote a. They have you update mileage every couple month and then they will re-evaluate the quote and then they will give a final quote before delivery. So the fact that they didn't honor your origional quote if more then 30 days is no real surprise.
I certainly appreciate the helpful answer, but I must point out that I purchased my Y way back in March of 2021. So there was no long waiting queue like there is now. Even the website quoted a new custom order as delivered in 2-3 weeks. Actually, when I purchased my car Tesla had an inventory full of Model Y's available at practically every location that was available for immediate delivery. The only reason I had to "order".. and didn't just accept an inventory car.. was that I wanted a specific combination. Probably the rarest combination they have ever sold on the Y (red paint, white seats, black wheels + tow hitch).

So from the time I reserved my car, got my first trade-in quote, and took delivery was maybe 2 weeks. Probably closer to one week as they actually found an inventory car for me. It was all really quick! That's what made the $2,000 price drop even more confusing.. like you just offered $21,000 a week ago. Now it's suddenly $19,000?

That would chap my hide, but ... it's possible that the original offer was time limited and you just happened to hit that threshold the day before you took delivery

Regardless, maybe you enjoy negotiating, some people do. Personally, I'd prefer to see a price, read a list of what you got for that, possibly add in some first person reviews (taken with a pinch of salt), calculate distances and times involved and make a purchase that way.

After all you negotiated, but you'll never know whether or not you could have actually done better
There's no debate Tesla's online purchasing system is much easier. The most satisfying part of purchasing at Tesla was actually the delivery experience. I felt no rush to take delivery last year. It was just me & the car in the parking lot at 8 am. The service center didn't even open until 10 am so there were no employees around. So I took my time and did a full 90+ minute run down on everything on the delivery checklist spreadsheet I printed off. When I was satisfied my Y was well built and had no obvious issues.. I clicked a couple of boxes and signed a couple of documents on my phone.. next thing I know the car unlocked for me! Being able to do everything on the website or on your phone.. including signing all the documentation and accepting financing.. with no human intervention was pretty freaking AWESOME!!

That said.. no real surprise its that easy when you really are just paying MSRP. From a price point, I can do much better price-wise being able to negotiate and making dealers compete against each other to offer me their lowest price. It's not my goal to get the absolutely lowest price, as there will always be a lower price. But if I can locate one dealer offering me the exact same vehicle for thousands less than another dealer why would I pay the higher price? What's crazy about this forum is people are downvoting me for saying this.. but those hypocrites are literally doing the exact same thing when they submitting quotes to Carvana, Vroom, Driveway, Givemethevin, CarBuyerUSA, etc.. trying to get the MOST money for their old vehicle. They are searching different dealers looking the BEST price.

My Model Y is literally the only car I paid sticker price for. The 2018 Honda I had before my Model Y.. had an MSRP at $31,000 and I was able to purchase it for $27,000 with just a few emails to random dealers looking for the cheapest price. I literally emailed a few local dealers during my lunchtime at the office.. agreed to a price an hour later (including my trade) and bought the Honda that evening after work.

Last edited:
I certainly appreciate the helpful answer, but I must point out that I purchased my Y way back in March of 2021. So there was no long waiting queue like there is now. Even the website quoted a new custom order as delivered in 2-3 weeks. Actually, when I purchased my car Tesla had an inventory full of Model Y's available at practically every location that was available for immediate delivery. The only reason I had to "order".. and didn't just accept an inventory car.. was that I wanted a specific combination. Probably the rarest combination they have ever sold on the Y (red paint, white seats, black wheels + tow hitch).

So from the time I reserved my car, got my first trade-in quote, and took delivery was maybe 2 weeks. Probably closer to one week as they actually found an inventory car for me. It was all really quick! That's what made the $2,000 price drop even more confusing.. like you just offered $21,000 a week ago. Now it's suddenly $19,000?
I think that any of these remote sales are subject to review when the car is inspected...in fact it can be a bit of a scam...the guy comes round to pick up your car, points to a few defects and immediately lowers the offer..meanwhile you are all geared up to getting rid of the car that very day so you are motivated to accepting a lower offer

Reactions: Daekwan

Stop being ridiculous, it's not "written' anywhere. The most obvious indication - and this isn't just Tesla, it's all dealers* - is the lowball (your word) offer.

*I'll add the caveat that this may have changed a bit for non-Tesla dealers, given the current dearth of used cars and the crazy prices some are charging. Dealers may be taking cars they would, in the past, have simply sold to a wholesaler or an auction and freshen them up and throw them on their lot... But Tesla has no ability to 'throw them on the lot'. I suspect they work with wholesalers who come and take them off their hands for very little. Hence, their 'lowball' offers.