Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR Delivery, Registration in Houston TX area (and some newbie items)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After placing an order for a MYLR I scoured the groups and network for the delivery process in Texas. Nothing was consistent in what has happened to others, but here is my experience that I am sharing to hopefully save any frustration for Texas new Tesla buyers:

1. MY LR (dark blue, hitch, white interior, FSD, hitch). Order placed April 26th. VIN received May 28. That's when things really start happening. No plan to finance, but I had a trade, which I had already accepted the offer for (saying the value was good until May 30).
2. Immediate request online from Tesla was insurance, which I could do online and right away. Had to upload that to Tesla. Several other items were communicated from Tesla's 3rd party handling the trade-in. Bottom line is I brought nothing but the vehicle and 2 sets of keys to the Tesla showroom. I'd already fedex'd the signed title and other paperwork as well as emailed a copy to them. Also used their "PLAID" service to ACH the balance owed on the vehicle.
3. Delivery was pretty painless. They called to set an appointment, and we selected noon one day during the week at the Houston Westheimer service center. Delivery took about half an hour. I inquired to the agent about the title application process, and he said I'd get a packet in the mail in a few weeks with all the necessary paperwork. They put a 30 day tag on the MY (although it actually would expire Aug 1 for some reason, even though the receipt said Jul 1).
4. Fedex envelope received yesterday with the necessary documentation for the title, along with a service called "The Title Girl." Seemed pretty straightforward, but I elected to call my local tax office yesterday and ensure I could take care of it myself. I did that today and it took about 30 minutes plus a bit of driving to/from.
5. In Texas - as others on these forums state - Tesla cannot sell directly within the state as a dealer. So essentially it's somewhat like buying a used car as far as registration goes. Here is what I learned at the tax office:

1. Easiest to have the person who is registering present. Not doing that is possible, but everything must be signed and in good order. Along with a copy of the Texas DL.
2. The odometer disclosure that Tesla sent (on a Texas form) was invalid because Tesla is not a dealer in Texas. So instead, the backside of the certificate of origin (the one with Elon's signature) has to be signed by the buyer.
3. Fees are currently 6.25% on the balance of the purchase price, less trade in, plus a handful of misc fees totaling about $100. They take personal checks.
4. If you want any specialty plates, that's the best time to apply - right at the tax office.
5. Tax office will give you a new temp plate (have 48 hours to swap it), a windshield sticker (with Tesla's date on it - which was May - and only for 1 year unlike cars you buy at the dealership which have 2 years), and your receipts.
6. Must have a copy of the insurance card at the tax office.

Other "newbie" items - was very happy to have ordered and had a wall charger installed at my house prior to delivery. The installation ran $400 and I used one of Tesla's preferred electricians - it took the electrician 20 minutes and he wired it hot. Now I charge at 48A/240V to get 11.5KW. Very pleased with the plastic floor mats Tesla sells - these are Weathertech ones with Tesla's brand on them. I also had full 30% nano-ceramic tint applied to all windows (except the front) and the roof - the very next day after delivery. Tint World did this and did a fantastic job. I cannot stress how hot the sun felt just on the 10 minute drive to the tint place.

FYI: My tax office (actually Tarrant County Court House) gave me real, with window sticker, not temp, plates when I registered the car. Probably depends on the size of the tax office, and the volume of cars they register.

FYI: My tax office (actually Tarrant County Court House) gave me real, with window sticker, not temp, plates when I registered the car. Probably depends on the size of the tax office, and the volume of cars they register.
Harris County gave me plates the day I registered as well, but I opted for personalized plates online so I never installed them and returned them when I had to go and pick up my new custom plate.

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic but—I’ve read conflicting posts about paying the taxes. If I understand correctly you have to pay all taxes at the tax office when going in to register? I’ve read a few posts that stated at one time the taxes were part of the financing but that no longer exists?

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic but—I’ve read conflicting posts about paying the taxes. If I understand correctly you have to pay all taxes at the tax office when going in to register? I’ve read a few posts that stated at one time the taxes were part of the financing but that no longer exists?
Correct. In Texas you pay TTL when you register/pick up your plates at the county Tax Office.

What are you all doing for a Front license plate? Are you using those no drill plate holders that you can hide?
I’m not putting mine on for now. I haven’t had a front license plate on a car for the past 5 years. Never been stopped or asked about it. It’s a risk because they can ticket but most around DFW don’t seem to care in my experience. I’ve received a couple warnings for speeding but they never mention the front license plate.

Watch out if you leave the metroplex though. On a road trip to San Antonio I got pulled over twice, once going down and once coming back. The second time the officer actually laughed when he saw the warning from the first stop still sitting on my passenger seat. The missing front plate gives them the excuse to pull you over and then they try to find something else to ticket you for. Makes money for the county and/or town with the speed trap even if you aren't speeding.

Nowadays I use the Quick Bandit. Easy on, easy off. Can lock it while it's on to prevent someone jacking your plate when you leave the car - or not. I just take it off when I park and throw it in the back.

Interesting. Never heard of the quick bandit but that’s pretty cool. I actually road tripped down to San Antonio last summer in my previous car. No front license plate and no issue. I’ve been pulled over once, about 3 years ago, for speeding. Got a warning and the cop didn’t even mention the lack of front license plate. He tagged me from the front coming head on around a corner so he would have seen I didn’t have one.
Guess it’s mostly up to their discretion.

You forgot the step where you took a handful of antidepressants before you went to the tax office 😈

Actually I shouldn't say that because the last time I went in Dallas, it really wasn't that bad ... much better than when it was in the old Records Building

Interesting that they only gave you 12 months and not 24. That's just registration though, so I wonder if the first-inspection requirement also went from 24 to 12 months

Thanks for the informative write up though. It answered a few questions for me

What are you all doing for a Front license plate? Are you using those no drill plate holders that you can hide?
No front plate for me. I keep the plate and the plastic mount in the glovebox. "Gee, officer, these things are held on by just sticky tape, Dumb, huh? Yeah, the carwash took it right off. I'll put the more secure mount right on as soon as it comes. Thanks for your courtesy". Hey - It might work!

Actually, I haven't been dinged for it, even though I have been stopped once for a real infraction. Cop didn't even mention it. He asked me the usual Tesla questions, gave me a warning and a "Next time, you get a ticket!" admonishment.

My local LEOs (gathering in the morning at the local diner) told me they really don't bother with it, unless there is some overweening reason for <ahem> "strict enforcement:". Obviously that's in our little burg. Haven't had any grief from Dallas, Ft. Worth, Houston, Louisiana or Oklahoma LEOs.