Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR Delivery, Registration in Houston TX area (and some newbie items)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I was researching where to go after the quarantine was lifted, I discovered that the Dallas County Tax Office had an online device whihc showed the current wait time at the offices. If I ever see my new Model 3 and the paperwork, I reckon I will look again.

After placing an order for a MYLR I scoured the groups and network for the delivery process in Texas. Nothing was consistent in what has happened to others, but here is my experience that I am sharing to hopefully save any frustration for Texas new Tesla buyers:

1. MY LR (dark blue, hitch, white interior, FSD, hitch). Order placed April 26th. VIN received May 28. That's when things really start happening. No plan to finance, but I had a trade, which I had already accepted the offer for (saying the value was good until May 30).
2. Immediate request online from Tesla was insurance, which I could do online and right away. Had to upload that to Tesla. Several other items were communicated from Tesla's 3rd party handling the trade-in. Bottom line is I brought nothing but the vehicle and 2 sets of keys to the Tesla showroom. I'd already fedex'd the signed title and other paperwork as well as emailed a copy to them. Also used their "PLAID" service to ACH the balance owed on the vehicle.
3. Delivery was pretty painless. They called to set an appointment, and we selected noon one day during the week at the Houston Westheimer service center. Delivery took about half an hour. I inquired to the agent about the title application process, and he said I'd get a packet in the mail in a few weeks with all the necessary paperwork. They put a 30 day tag on the MY (although it actually would expire Aug 1 for some reason, even though the receipt said Jul 1).
4. Fedex envelope received yesterday with the necessary documentation for the title, along with a service called "The Title Girl." Seemed pretty straightforward, but I elected to call my local tax office yesterday and ensure I could take care of it myself. I did that today and it took about 30 minutes plus a bit of driving to/from.
5. In Texas - as others on these forums state - Tesla cannot sell directly within the state as a dealer. So essentially it's somewhat like buying a used car as far as registration goes. Here is what I learned at the tax office:

1. Easiest to have the person who is registering present. Not doing that is possible, but everything must be signed and in good order. Along with a copy of the Texas DL.
2. The odometer disclosure that Tesla sent (on a Texas form) was invalid because Tesla is not a dealer in Texas. So instead, the backside of the certificate of origin (the one with Elon's signature) has to be signed by the buyer.
3. Fees are currently 6.25% on the balance of the purchase price, less trade in, plus a handful of misc fees totaling about $100. They take personal checks.
4. If you want any specialty plates, that's the best time to apply - right at the tax office.
5. Tax office will give you a new temp plate (have 48 hours to swap it), a windshield sticker (with Tesla's date on it - which was May - and only for 1 year unlike cars you buy at the dealership which have 2 years), and your receipts.
6. Must have a copy of the insurance card at the tax office.

Other "newbie" items - was very happy to have ordered and had a wall charger installed at my house prior to delivery. The installation ran $400 and I used one of Tesla's preferred electricians - it took the electrician 20 minutes and he wired it hot. Now I charge at 48A/240V to get 11.5KW. Very pleased with the plastic floor mats Tesla sells - these are Weathertech ones with Tesla's brand on them. I also had full 30% nano-ceramic tint applied to all windows (except the front) and the roof - the very next day after delivery. Tint World did this and did a fantastic job. I cannot stress how hot the sun felt just on the 10 minute drive to the tint place.
Excellent write up btw! I'm in Houston and I read and re-read this to be sure I had everything. My appointment was this morning in Harris County and it went super smooth, thanks to this write up! The clerk was impressed that I had everything crossed and dotted, lol. (Small caveat is that my hubby is a DV and out of town for work, so I had DV plates to get and get his signatures before he left). Question: how long before the real plates come in?

Excellent write up btw! I'm in Houston and I read and re-read this to be sure I had everything. My appointment was this morning in Harris County and it went super smooth, thanks to this write up! The clerk was impressed that I had everything crossed and dotted, lol. (Small caveat is that my hubby is a DV and out of town for work, so I had DV plates to get and get his signatures before he left). Question: how long before the real plates come in?
Did you have to make a appointment? Are you able to make an appointment online or only by phone? What form of payment do they take? Thanks. I’ve called several times I’m always on hold too long

Did you have to make a appointment? Are you able to make an appointment online or only by phone? What form of payment do they take? Thanks. I’ve called several times I’m always on hold too long
I just got off the phone with Harris County Tax office. It was a 35 minute wait. My God.
They have told me that forms of payment are Check , Debit & Credit. Hour’s of operation are 8-4. You have to make an appointment. I was also told there are more offices available to get the registration from than down town. They asked me for my zip code. I live in Atascocita (Humble) area. So they told me I could make an appointment at the Will Clayton location. I will update after I have completed my registration. With any details. Thanks to the Op for making this thread.

I just got off the phone with Harris County Tax office. It was a 35 minute wait. My God.
They have told me that forms of payment are Check , Debit & Credit. Hour’s of operation are 8-4. You have to make an appointment. I was also told there are more offices available to get the registration from than down town. They asked me for my zip code. I live in Atascocita (Humble) area. So they told me I could make an appointment at the Will Clayton location. I will update after I have completed my registration. With any details. Thanks to the Op for making this thread.
Wow! You guys have it difficult in my old home town.
Up here in Dallas, I drove for more than a year on the paper plates, as title app and registration had to be made in person, but everything was closed due to the Covid panic. They would not accept mail or courier delivery of the paperwork Tesla sent a couple of weeks after delivery.
The Dallas County Tax office has a website which lists the current wait time for the various functions at all the locations, and it is pretty accurate. I appeared in person, with the appropriate (I thought) documentation and cash in hand. At first they tried to ding me all kinds of penalties until I gave them a printout of the Governor's pronunciamento about no penalties up to X date. All was fine until I discovered I had expired insurance cards instead of the current ones. My wife zapped a photo to the phone and I was in business. The rest went swimmingly, and I paid in cash, no problem for two registrations.
When I got The Good Ship Venus II, I doublechecked the documentation, picked an office with very little wait and was in and out in 20 minutes. Last week when I picked up my custom plates, I was in and out in 10 minutes. (Had to pay fee for new sticker. $.50 - two quarters).
It is really sad that Houston's tax office doesn't have their excrement in one Navy baggage container like Dallas. The website showing wait times is really helpful.
Oh Yes... The North Dallas tax office has Level II chargers in the first row of parking, and two of them are for handicap tags/plates only.
But I still miss Houston.

• Disagree
Reactions: coleman567
Up here in Dallas, I drove for more than a year on the paper plates, as title app and registration had to be made in person, but everything was closed due to the Covid panic. They would not accept mail or courier delivery of the paperwork Tesla sent a couple of weeks after delivery.
The Dallas County Tax office has a website which lists the current wait time for the various functions at all the locations, and it is pretty accurate. I appeared in person, with the appropriate (I thought) documentation and cash in hand. At first they tried to ding me all kinds of penalties until I gave them a printout of the Governor's pronunciamento about no penalties up to X date. All was fine until I discovered I had expired insurance cards instead of the current ones. My wife zapped a photo to the phone and I was in business. The rest went swimmingly, and I paid in cash, no problem for two registrations.
When I got The Good Ship Venus II, I doublechecked the documentation, picked an office with very little wait and was in and out in 20 minutes. Last week when I picked up my custom plates, I was in and out in 10 minutes. (Had to pay fee for new sticker. $.50 - two quarters).
It is really sad that Houston's tax office doesn't have their excrement in one Navy baggage container like Dallas. The website showing wait times is really helpful.
Oh Yes... The North Dallas tax office has Level II chargers in the first row of parking, and two of them are for handicap tags/plates only.
But I still miss Houston.
In Houston you can ride with Paper plates for a long time too. But only if you are undocumented. 😉

The Dallas County Tax office has a website which lists the current wait time for the various functions at all the locations, and it is
Wonder what @coleman567 disagrees with the information?

"In Houston you can ride with Paper plates for a long time too. But only if you are undocumented. 😉"

is what I disagree with.
I kinda agree with coleman567. Bogus paper plates appear to be a statewide issue, albeit primarily in the major population centers. My local LEOs (at our morning coffee meeting where we solve the world's problems) tell me they are so preoccupied with other matters, the paper plates, no front plates and even inspection stickers with month/year on them go unnoticed.
However, they tell me that if they have other reasons to stop a vehicle, the expired registration/paper plates become a big issue with them.
--- One LEO owns the second red Model 3 in our town. He said <ahem> "Uh, I think I lost the plate holder <cough>". He's the one who pulled me over to tell me about his new car. I had the first red M3 in town.

I kinda agree with coleman567. Bogus paper plates appear to be a statewide issue, albeit primarily in the major population centers. My local LEOs (at our morning coffee meeting where we solve the world's problems) tell me they are so preoccupied with other matters, the paper plates, no front plates and even inspection stickers with month/year on them go unnoticed.
However, they tell me that if they have other reasons to stop a vehicle, the expired registration/paper plates become a big issue with them.
--- One LEO owns the second red Model 3 in our town. He said <ahem> "Uh, I think I lost the plate holder <cough>". He's the one who pulled me over to tell me about his new car. I had the first red M3 in town.
Yes. This needs to be stopped.