Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR Extended Range Fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a fairly early (VIN 632x) 2020 Model Y LR. I have never been able to get the indicated range above 300 miles, despite fully charging and discharging. I thought there was a firmware or software mod that increased range to 326 miles or so. Can anyone point me to a fix?

Vistan

AFAIK, it doesn't exist as an "upgrade." The "upgrade" you're referring to was just minor energy mgmt tweaking, possibly a change in EPA testing parameters.

In any case, whether your window sticker said 316, 320, 326...it doesn't matter. The range will still be 240-260miles per full battery.

As I recall that so called “range increase” update occurred back in Sept 2020, my MY never showed ANY so called increase. You have X amount of power in the battery and how you use it is up to you. Having said that my lifetime wh/mi is 268 after 15K miles. Buddy with a similar Y (two weeks newer) has a lifetime usage of 307 wh/mi at 19K miles.

He’s an admitted LEAD FOOT.

As I understand it, the MY has an 82KWh battery, but it‘s not all available and/or used in the range calculation. If only 78KWh is available, then 269Wh/mile would result in 290 miles of range (78,000/269=290). If you wanted to get 330 miles out of 78KWh, you would need to average 236Wh/mi (78,000/236=330)which usually means driving at lower speeds in favorable climate conditions.

As I understand it, the MY has an 82KWh battery, but it‘s not all available and/or used in the range calculation. If only 78KWh is available, then 269Wh/mile would result in 290 miles of range (78,000/269=290). If you wanted to get 330 miles out of 78KWh, you would need to average 236Wh/mi (78,000/236=330)which usually means driving at lower speeds in favorable climate conditions.
Original poster has a 2020 model, which has a 78 kWh pack with 75 kWh usable. Newer vehicles get the 82 kWh pack with 80 kWh usable. All 2021+ Y Performance get the 82 kWh pack (80 usable) . Some early 2021 Y LR have only 78 kWh usable. It's a mess keeping track of it all.

Reactions: ajstan
Original poster has a 2020 model, which has a 78 kWh pack with 75 kWh usable. Newer vehicles get the 82 kWh pack with 80 kWh usable. All 2021+ Y Performance get the 82 kWh pack (80 usable) . Some early 2021 Y LR have only 78 kWh usable. It's a mess keeping track of it all.
Thanks, that’s helpful info! So, with 75KWh usable, a 2020 driver needs to average 237Wh/mi to get the advertised 316 mile range (assuming is it still 316 for the 2020 models), and should expect 279 miles of range using an average of 269 Wh/mi, not accounting for battery degradation.

It appears that at 269Wh/mi, the OP’s range is inline with expectations, and when my 2022 MYLR arrives, my target is 242 Wh/mi to get the full 330 mile range out of the usable portion of the battery.

Reactions: pt19713
Thanks, that’s helpful info! So, with 75KWh usable, a 2020 driver needs to average 237Wh/mi to get the advertised 316 mile range (assuming is it still 316 for the 2020 models), and should expect 279 miles of range using an average of 269 Wh/mi, not accounting for battery degradation.

It appears that at 269Wh/mi, the OP’s range is inline with expectations, and when my 2022 MYLR arrives, my target is 242 Wh/mi to get the full 330 mile range out of the usable portion of the battery.
Correct. This applies when the vehicle is new. The issue with chasing after the EPA range is due to degradation. After 1 year/ 15k miles, most Teslas are already down 5-10% of max capacity, makes the EPA range less likely to be achievable. Luckily the degradation rate slows down after the initial use. It'll still degrade, just not as quickly.

Actually, the EPA rating wasn't achievable upon delivery. Driving to achieve the 240 Wh/mi requires consecutive drives in ideal conditions, and is also regionally specific (hills, speed limits, temps, wind).

In the DFW region (gentle hills, frequent wind), with a very gentle foot, probably 60/40 c/h (no daily commute, hard to calculate), with highway speeds 65-75mph, 6k miles of road trips figured in, my 21k mile average has settled in at 285 Wh/mi. I'm not concerned, as road trip range just isn't an issue.

I need to do some investigating on this site and the internet in general, but I'm hoping to find a spreadsheet or study somewhere that has a repository of real world Wh/mi use from many MY drivers, which would be better for setting expectations for range.

My generalized, uneducated guess from anecdotal evidence I've seen would be 260-290Wh/mi in the warmer months at 60-70mph, and 280-320Wh/mi in the colder months and/or with faster driving (75-80 mph).

For me, a larger impact on range that I didn't initially expect, was the impact of typically using only 60% of the total available range (charging to 80% and running down to 20%) to reduce battery degradation and extend battery life. For daily driving, it won't be a big deal when I'm charging at home, but on road trips, that would mean that I'm going to need to stop every 2-2.5 hours instead of every 3-3.5 hours were I running the battery from close to 100% down to <10%.

I need to do some investigating on this site and the internet in general, but I'm hoping to find a spreadsheet or study somewhere that has a repository of real world Wh/mi use from many MY drivers, which would be better for setting expectations for range.

My generalized, uneducated guess from anecdotal evidence I've seen would be 260-290Wh/mi in the warmer months at 60-70mph, and 280-320Wh/mi in the colder months and/or with faster driving (75-80 mph).

For me, a larger impact on range that I didn't initially expect, was the impact of typically using only 60% of the total available range (charging to 80% and running down to 20%) to reduce battery degradation and extend battery life. For daily driving, it won't be a big deal when I'm charging at home, but on road trips, that would mean that I'm going to need to stop every 2-2.5 hours instead of every 3-3.5 hours were I running the battery from close to 100% down to <10%.
Exactly. Fact. You don't need a spreadsheet for this. Numerous "anecdotal" posts on this forum attesting to this as...FACT! :D :D :D :D

Road tripping? Those breaks every 1.5-2.5 hours aren't for everyone, for sure. I used to LOVE driving 5-6-7 hours with my Passat TDI "Clean" (BWAHAHAHA) diesel, then an Avalon Hybrid, then wouldn't be able to walk away from the car...certainly not quickly enough to make it to the men's room!!!!!!!! (ditto for my wife...to the ladies room, of course!)

If this doesn't fit your ideal, than don't buy a current entry-level Tesla. Or, buy another EV with greater range, for $100k +...that...doesn't...have...a...Supercharger...network...

To quote my late TX grandfather-in-law: "Yer pickin' the fly *sugar* out of the pepper." ;)

Yea basically spot on

However on road trips most have 0 issues charging at home to 100% and going on the way to as low as possible or w.e if need be to the first supercharger etc. Most won’t charge to 100% cause there’s no point most of the time 85% will get u to the next supercharger and so forth

Me personally on trips I’ll bring it down below 20% no problems most of the time

Reactions: db93
AFAIK, it doesn't exist as an "upgrade." The "upgrade" you're referring to was just minor energy mgmt tweaking, possibly a change in EPA testing parameters.

In any case, whether your window sticker said 316, 320, 326...it doesn't matter. The range will still be 240-260miles per full battery.
Our warranty for the battery says 70% or more before??? 8 Years or ?? miles. So I believe this is correct.
Gotta admitt it’s still the very best car i have ever driven in my life!