Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR, price drop by $1,000?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just placed my Model Y LR today! I noticed that the price for the Model Y LR this morning (Saturday) started at $49,990 but when I went to place my oder later tonight I'd noticed that the price was at $48,990. Am I tripping or did they reduce the price for the Model Y LR also?

I read that Tesla reduced the price for Standard Range of both the Model 3 and Model Y. But I didnt hear anything inregards to the Long Range.

Reactions: vpatel787
I placed a new Y order 4 days ago for the LR (after I had cancelled it and resubmitted it since I forgot to use my friend's referral), but the price wouldn't adjust on my account. Didn't feel calling anyone to mess with my existing orders since I ran into a handful of issues on my Model 3 order 10 months ago trying to mess with that after the order was already submitted, so I just cancelled my order (again) and created a new order this morning for the same spec LR.

Don't mind eating up $100 to cancel another Y order, and saving $800 on my upfront payment is a bonus. Plus I doubt it really pushed me any further down the line. But if it did, then that just means I have a better chance to get a Y with updated parts (new console & heated steering wheel..... doubt new headlights will be avail but not really concerned about that).

For those who took delivery, I would imagine you're going to be out of luck. What leverage do you have? For those who placed their order already but haven't gotten delivery, they can cancel the order and only be out $100. Those who took delivery have no recourse, so why would they just hand over money back to you? Yeah, you might be upset about it, but it's too late. They already have your money. It seems to me that pricing and upgrades are issues you just have to live with. Stop obsessing about what others are getting. You're only going to drive yourself nuts. Let it go and enjoy what you have.

I have a LR on order, looks like the price was auto-updated-
upload_2021-2-21_10-2-55.png

Y - $39990 + LR $9000 = $48990

Prior to Tesla dropping the Standard Range Model Y someone considering purchasing a Standard Range Plus Model 3 could instead move up to a Standard Range Model Y for an additional $3,000 US. Now the cost of moving up to a Long Range Model Y from the SR+ Model 3 is $12,000 US. That is a huge jump in cost.

Someone considering purchasing the Long Range Model 3 can now move up to a Long Range Model Y instead for an additional $3,000 US. The LR Model Y is likely to continue to siphon off sales of the LR Model 3.

It appears that for now Tesla has decided to abandon the low end of the EV market, as far as hatch back vehicles, to GM and Ford. Perhaps Tesla is getting ready to announce a Model 2; an entry level hatchback.

Last edited:
I think you are FOR SURE fine up until you accept delivery in terms of getting the lower price. Others can report if they are getting credit after they take delivery.

In my case, I had already signed my papers and paid... THEN my SR had the $2K price drop. I asked, and they gave me a credit. My delivery pickup is tomorrow morning.

Prior to Tesla dropping the Standard Range Model Y someone considering purchasing a Standard Range Plus Model 3 could instead move up to a Standard Range Model Y for an additional $3,000 US. Now the cost of moving up to a Long Range Model Y from the SR+ Model 3 is $12,000 US. That is a huge jump in cost.

Someone considering purchasing the Long Range Model 3 can now move up to a Long Range Model Y instead for an additional $3,000 US. The LR Model Y is likely to continue to siphon off sales of the LR Model 3.

It appears that for now Tesla has decided to abandon the low end of the EV market, as far as hatch back vehicles, to GM and Ford. Perhaps Tesla is getting ready to announce a Model 2; an entry level hatchback.

solid DD right there.