Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR Range Reduced?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 2021 Model Y LR that I purchased last December. It now has about 14,000 miles on it. The published range for this car is 326 miles. I noticed recently that when I charge the battery to 100%, the range is shown as 305 miles (94% of the advertised range). I know the car never really gets the full rated range due to weather, weight, hills, and even tricks Tesla does with the EPA estimates, but I recall that when the car was new the gauge would say my range was 326 miles at 100% charge. A Better Route Planner says that my battery has no degradation and has a 75.3 kWh capacity. The calibrated reference consumption is 282 Wh/mi.

We regularly drive to my parent's house, which is a hilly 200 mile drive through NH & VT that we could do without a problem last winter when the car was new. Now this summer if the battery is anywhere less than 90% when we leave, the car will tell us that we will need to stop to charge along the way.

Does anyone know if Tesla has changed the way it calculates range? Is it possible that the car is limiting the min/max charge to improve the battery's lifetime? Or is it possible the battery has degraded and ABRP hasn't detected it yet?

I've owned my 2020 Model for 14 months. My model Y included a document from Tesla stating that the battery capacity (when new) was 74 kWh (this document was intended to be used as documentation to be submitted for a State of Maryland rebate.) I believe the usable capacity (when new) was ~72 kWh.) Based on my recent calculations I believe my Model Y currently has a usable capacity of ~65 kWH. This is approximately 10% less than when new.

I anticipated that the battery in my Model Y would lose some measurable capacity during the first year. That is why you should always purchase the larger battery if more than one battery configuration is offered.

Last edited:
Reactions: morbidz
Upvote 0
I've owned my 2020 Model for 14 months. My model Y included a document from Tesla stating that the battery capacity (when new) was 74 kWh (this document was intended to be used as documentation to be submitted for a State of Maryland rebate.) I believe the usable capacity (when new) was ~72 kWh.) Based on my recent calculations I believe my Model Y currently has a usable capacity of ~65 kWH. This is approximately 10% less than when new.

I anticipated that the battery in my Model Y would lose some measurable capacity during the first year. That is why you should always purchase the larger battery if more than one battery configuration is offered.
I picked up mine early June last year and I seem to be getting the same usable capacity as you.

Reactions: shannonc13
Upvote 0
I have 2021 Model Y LR that I purchased last December. It now has about 14,000 miles on it. The published range for this car is 326 miles. I noticed recently that when I charge the battery to 100%, the range is shown as 305 miles (94% of the advertised range). I know the car never really gets the full rated range due to weather, weight, hills, and even tricks Tesla does with the EPA estimates, but I recall that when the car was new the gauge would say my range was 326 miles at 100% charge. A Better Route Planner says that my battery has no degradation and has a 75.3 kWh capacity. The calibrated reference consumption is 282 Wh/mi.

We regularly drive to my parent's house, which is a hilly 200 mile drive through NH & VT that we could do without a problem last winter when the car was new. Now this summer if the battery is anywhere less than 90% when we leave, the car will tell us that we will need to stop to charge along the way.

Does anyone know if Tesla has changed the way it calculates range? Is it possible that the car is limiting the min/max charge to improve the battery's lifetime? Or is it possible the battery has degraded and ABRP hasn't detected it yet?
Maybe I don't understand this correctly, but would the lower expected range be a reflection on your historical use? So if you average 282 wh/mi, a 100% charge would most definitely not give you 326 miles range.

Upvote 0
My lifetime average (16k miles) is 244 Wh/mi. My battery's current capacity is ~71 kWh (down from 77.8 per teslafi, 74 from the sticker under the hood).

My rated range when new was 316. My rated range is down to 294, with a potential range of 71000/244=303. Potential, because the 244 Wh/mi the car records is missing HVAC and idle power. If I used no HVAC, and had my car sleep (no sentry, cabin heat protection...), it could go 303 miles. Note, my car would read 0 miles after 289 miles because of the hidden 4.5% buffer on the bottom.

Upvote 1
My lifetime average (16k miles) is 244 Wh/mi. My battery's current capacity is ~71 kWh (down from 77.8 per teslafi, 74 from the sticker under the hood).

My rated range when new was 316. My rated range is down to 294, with a potential range of 71000/244=303. Potential, because the 244 Wh/mi the car records is missing HVAC and idle power. If I used no HVAC, and had my car sleep (no sentry, cabin heat protection...), it could go 303 miles. Note, my car would read 0 miles after 289 miles because of the hidden 4.5% buffer on the bottom.
Sticker under the hood? Huh, just had to look but I don't have one. Wonder when they started that of if mine was just missed...

Upvote 0
Sticker under the hood? Huh, just had to look but I don't have one. Wonder when they started that of if mine was just missed...
I should have been more clear; it's under the access panel.
20201019_213922.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Ken_Y and Dennisis
Upvote 0

My rated range when new was 316. My rated range is down to 294, with a potential range of 71000/244=303. Potential, because the 244 Wh/mi the car records is missing HVAC and idle power. If I used no HVAC, and had my car sleep (no sentry, cabin heat protection...), it could go 303 miles. Note, my car would read 0 miles after 289 miles because of the hidden 4.5% buffer on the bottom
Makes sense since it was wrong anyway. (74 vs 77.8)
And you determined it was wrong by doing the math I take it? Is the math that reliable? As I understand it it's all based on the BMS knowing the true capacity correct, and that can be recalculated with different charging cycles?

Upvote 0
Dumb question. How do I determine the actual rated range?

FWIW, I have never charged my LR MY beyond 98% and both times were less than a minute before I started on a road trip. Typically, I keep the car charged to a maximum of 75% (approximately 260 miles on the charging portion of the app) and I only let it discharge to 9% once (on a road trip) and typically recharge at 20%

Upvote 0
Dumb question. How do I determine the actual rated range?

FWIW, I have never charged my LR MY beyond 98% and both times were less than a minute before I started on a road trip. Typically, I keep the car charged to a maximum of 75% (approximately 260 miles on the charging portion of the app) and I only let it discharge to 9% once (on a road trip) and typically recharge at 20%
Here is one method: Calculating Your Battery's Estimated Capacity Using the Car's Energy Screen

Once you have the estimated usable battery capacity you can divide the battery capacity by your lifetime or expect Wh/mi (in kW) to get the estimated range. Example: 70kWh / 0.270kWh/mi = 259 miles estimated range

Here is another method:

Set the Tesla Display settings in the vehicle to display Estimated Range instead of Charge %.

Start charging the Tesla.

Using the Tesla app go to the Charging Settings and slide the maximum charge limit all of the way to the right. The Tesla App will briefly display the estimated range when 100% charged.

(Don't forget to lower the maximum charging limit to your normal setting. Change the Tesla Display setting to display % of charge if that is your preferred battery indicator display.)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 73Bruin
Upvote 0