Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR vs. EV6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Viv1984

OD: 8/12, MYP: Silver/Black int. VIN 11/18, 11/22
Jun 21, 2021
Rosamond, CA
Hey guys,

I was planning on releasing my hold on the Model Y in the next week or so, but saw the EV6 is releasing soon. Has anyone done a deep dive into which one seems like a stronger buy? I know the Model Y has a pretty long wait and the EV6 is supposed to be released later this year, so the wait probably won't be much of a difference. While I don't need the federal tax credit, extra money is always nice to have (assuming both cars are about the same price). I like the look of the EV6 a bit better, but I haven't really found anything directly comparing the two very well. I'd appreciate any insight anyone might have. Thanks in advance!

Battery thermal management and software is more advanced for the Model Y. I expect the battery back longevity to be longer on the Tesla if you plan to keep it long term. If you lease, both are great options.

Thanks, good to know. I'm buying, not leasing so probably keeping it for at least 5-7 years (probably 150k+ miles), and maybe longer so the added longevity would be useful. Tesla also had a few extra features (software) that I liked, so this probably tilts it in Tesla's favor. Plus the EV6 coming next year so unsure if trade in value will stay where they're at.

After watching Bjorns charge and road test videos and some interior EV6 vids etc it really depends on what you want and whats the local situation

The Y will be more efficient and go further on one charge esp at higher speed. It has better (rear) head room and space vs the EV6.

The EV6 will charge 'better' but only if you can supply it with 250kw+ chargers, I think it'll road trip fine if you can.

Y is going to be faster and sportier imo I think the EV6 will be quick but not (as) sporty.

Reactions: Viv1984
Perhaps wrongly: but Tesla's constant updates has me sticking with Tesla brand. EV6 might be a better choice today, but what about after several years of Tesla updates? Will I be able to upgrade my Tesla vehicle in 5 years to be able to do FSD? I doubt it will be economically feasible, but the idea has a hold on me.
I'd be quick to change my mind if other car manufactures did updates like Tesla does. In other words adopt a platform that gets updated, rather than a mentality of selling a car and be done with it. Work with Mobileye to invent a platform that can be updated years later for the latest tech in assistive driving or self driving.

Best to test both cars if possible. I had a chance to drive EV6's sister car, the Ioniq 5, and there are pros and cons when compared to my Model 3. I would say if you want a car with more usable driver interface when driving plus a quieter and more comfortable ride, go with Ioniq 5 or EV6. If you want a car that's faster with sharper handling plus more cargo space, go with Model Y.

Reactions: polyphonic54
Perhaps wrongly: but Tesla's constant updates has me sticking with Tesla brand. EV6 might be a better choice today, but what about after several years of Tesla updates? Will I be able to upgrade my Tesla vehicle in 5 years to be able to do FSD? I doubt it will be economically feasible, but the idea has a hold on me.
I'd be quick to change my mind if other car manufactures did updates like Tesla does. In other words adopt a platform that gets updated, rather than a mentality of selling a car and be done with it. Work with Mobileye to invent a platform that can be updated years later for the latest tech in assistive driving or self driving.
VW is trying at least. For now, we got OTAed improved traffic sign recognition, a bit improved MMI and a new in car app for charger routing.
With v3.0 coming this spring (probably delayed) cars need to go to service center sadly, to make the rest of the ECUs OTA upgradeable as well. After that it should be OTA only. New huge features promised are faster DC charging, improved thermal managment for battery in cold climates, Plug'n'charge and vehicle to grid. We also have the vehicle-to-MobilEye data mining, but not sure if that is new hw cars only (-23).

Not sure what Kia and Hyundai offer on the OTA front though.

Reactions: Terminator857
EV6 Pricing announced:

Very close to Ioniq 5 pricing and probably dealers will charge the same markup at first.

Here is a bit more of the price snippet from the same thing you linked to. its relevant because, as its a press release, companies always combine stuff in there that you have to read carefully to get the full picture.

Like "Starting At 33,400 after 7500 incentive ) ( so, starting at 40,900) with the 40,900 being the base trim, with a 58kWh battery pack and RWD). To their credit, at least they break it all down, but since this is a comparison thread, it likely should be here if the link is here.
===========================================================

(IRVINE, Calif.) January 25, 2022 – Kia America today announced pricing for the 2022 EV6, the brand’s first dedicated all-electric model, starting at just $33,400 after the $7,500 federal vehicle tax credit.

At the heart of the EV6 is an energy-dense battery pack available in two sizes: 58.0 kWh and 77.4 kWh. The EV6 with the 58.0 kWh battery pack has a starting price of $40,900, and a net price of $33,400, after the $7,500 federal electric vehicle tax credit. The EV6 with the 77.4 kWh battery pack starts at $47,000 but will cost $39,500 after the federal tax credit. In addition, the EV6 may also qualify for various state incentives, including single rider carpool lane access in California. These prices exclude destination charge.

The all-new EV6 will be offered in three trim levels: Light, Wind and GT-Line. The Light trim will be offered in rear-wheel drive while Wind and sporty GT-Line variants will be available in rear-wheel drive and Dual Motor e-AWD configurations. The EV6 is expected to arrive in dealerships in the upcoming weeks.

Trim Levels/Pricing – MSRP: (excludes $1,215 destination)

· EV6 Light RWD $40,900
· EV6 Wind RWD $47,000
· EV6 Wind Dual Motor e-AWD $50,900
· EV6 GT-Line RWD $51,200
· EV6 GT-Line Dual Motor e-AWD $55,900

The EV6 offers up to 320 horsepower and an EPA rated all-electric range (AER) up to 310 miles depending on the configuration:

• RWD: 58.0 kWh battery with a 168kW rear motor yields 167 horsepower and AER of 232-miles (Light RWD)
  • RWD: 77.4 kWh battery with a 168kW rear motor yields 225 horsepower and AER of 310-miles (Wind RWD, GT-Line RWD)
  • Dual Motor e-AWD: 77.4 kWh battery with a 74kW front motor and a 165kW rear motor yields 320 horsepower and AER of 274-miles (Wind AWD, GT-Line AWD)

==============================================================

Best to test both cars if possible. I had a chance to drive EV6's sister car, the Ioniq 5, and there are pros and cons when compared to my Model 3. I would say if you want a car with more usable driver interface when driving plus a quieter and more comfortable ride, go with Ioniq 5 or EV6. If you want a car that's faster with sharper handling plus more cargo space, go with Model Y.

The EV6 GT-Line (not the 570hp GT beast that will be released in 2023) is faster than the MYLR. 0 to 60 was measured between 4.4 and 4.6 second. It definitely has less cargo space and is not meant for families but I argue the Model Y isn’t either.

The EV6 GT-Line (not the 570hp GT beast that will be released in 2023) is faster than the MYLR. 0 to 60 was measured between 4.4 and 4.6 second. It definitely has less cargo space and is not meant for families but I argue the Model Y isn’t either.
The EV6 GT does sound like a beast with those 570 horses. I wonder if cars like that would prompt Tesla to release an acceleration boost to the MYP? (That is, if the motors have enough capacity for that). Or maybe they’ll just release a MYPlaid.

I recently picked up my Model Y, and I actually have a reservation for an EV6 First Edition. I'm personally debating whether or not to get it and replace my wife's car with it.

To me, things that the Y does better:
  • Larger cargo storage
  • Better battery management likely leading to longer lifetime and better range in the cold
  • Panoramic Roof (surprising the EV6 doesn't have this when the Ioniq does)
  • Faster overall (especially w/ acceleration boost)
  • Sentry Mode

Things the EV6 does better:
  • Better build quality. My Y definitely has some noticeable flaws. Plus, the next available appoint for me is in March, 1.5 months after I picked up the car.
  • More distinctive look. I live in CA and while I like the look of the Y, there's just so many damn Teslas driving around.
  • More refined interior -- Ventilated seats, HUD, lay flat seats.
  • Better ride quality. Not a huge deal for me, as I don't mind a stiff suspension. However, reviewers have also noted that the EV6 is more quiet.
  • Better overall warranty.
Things that are about the same:
  • Cost. The First Edition seems to just cost more than even the GT trim, and doesn't seem to have any extra benefits. It actually costs more than the Y did when I ordered it, though I can get the $7500 tax credit.
  • Charging network. Obviously the Supercharger Network is better today, but I personally don't take that many road trips, and I know that over time, Tesla's advantage here will likely narrow. The EV6 seems to be capable of charging faster too, so at some point, this might even become favorable to the EV6.
  • Navigation. Tesla's maps and UI is significantly better, but EV6 supports Android Auto and Apple Carplay.

EV6: vehicle to load
much faster charging in the summer. Atm, similar charging speed in the winter with Y and EV6 in Europe.
Meridian sound system
360 camera
Front and rear cross traffic alert

Negative: start stop button