Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR vs. EV6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove my 2022 Model 3 RWD to Miami on a 250 mile trip and Autopilot was constantly disengaging every time a truck zipped by (Autopilot thinks it is close to cutting me off). Maybe you have FSD? Every time I changed lanes it would disengage also.

In Miami, I traded the 3 for the Telluride and on the way back (another 250 miles) HDA was smooth. It did not disengage with highway traffic and it was hands free for a longer period of time without the constant nagging. I pretty sure I drove more miles with HDA full engaged than Autopilot. Many trucks on the turnpike were brushing by and disengaging Autopilot what seemed every 10+ miles.

I don't have FSD. Changing lanes disengages autopilot and must be reengaged. HDA disengages also when changing lanes but automatically reengages after a few seconds. I do wish autopilot would automatically reengage also.

However, with autopilot I have never had it disengage when not switching lanes. Maybe I have never had a truck pass me? I am assuming you mean a Semi truck. I will test this out on my next road trip this weekend. but Any bend in the road I need to help HDA keep it in the lane otherwise it would hit the car next to me or go off the road.

Either way I am happy with both systems but trust the autopilot more. The auto reengage after switching lanes would be nice.

I don't have FSD. Changing lanes disengages autopilot and must be reengaged. HDA disengages also when changing lanes but automatically reengages after a few seconds. I do wish autopilot would automatically reengage also.

However, with autopilot I have never had it disengage when not switching lanes. Maybe I have never had a truck pass me? I am assuming you mean a Semi truck. I will test this out on my next road trip this weekend. but Any bend in the road I need to help HDA keep it in the lane otherwise it would hit the car next to me or go off the road.

Either way I am happy with both systems but trust the autopilot more. The auto reengage after switching lanes would be nice.

With FSD, it keeps Autopilot engaged on lane changes I heard.

As for semi-trucks... yes when they brush by violently the Model 3 Autopilot would ping and disengage. It happened a lot on my drive to Miami on the turnpike. This wasn't the first time. I used it on trips to Daytona which is pure highway with no stop-and-go but plenty of aggressive traffic so disengaging was something I expected.

One reason I like HDA more is the LKA system is the best I've used. It's horribly broken on the ID.4 with false positives. I feel like the system wanted to kill me by driving off the road. The Telluride LKA is almost like autosteer at times.

• Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa
Cost is the biggest factor really, not just which one is less, but which one provides the most for the money.

Given Tesla's price increases the EV6 at MSRP with all incentives (Over $10K for me in CA) would be a very attractive deal and significantly less than a MY. However, it seems I cannot get an EV6 at MSRP and the additional dealer markup is significant. Furthermore, the incentives for the EV6 may be decreased in 2023 due to the new EV rebate scheme.

This is a particularly bad time to buy an EV and I suppose any car.