Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR vs. EV6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Negative: start stop button
You might be joking but that's a serious negative to me after being used to Teslas for years now. When I tested the Mach-E it felt like the start/stop + park buttons would annoy me every time I drive it.

It's so minor but the seamless start/stop experience is part of what makes a great EV experience overall (to me). Polestar got it right btw...maybe because they're an EV-only brand too?

EV6: vehicle to load
much faster charging in the summer. Atm, similar charging speed in the winter with Y and EV6 in Europe.
Meridian sound system
360 camera
Front and rear cross traffic alert

Negative: start stop button

EV6 pros - better suspension
Cons - terrible UI system. Same as Ioniq 5 which I test drove three times and even watched the handoff video. They will be upgrading that system to an Nvidia Drive next refresh

Why is the Meridian audio a pro? I heard it wasn’t great. It supposedly is not the same one installed in luxury cars. After returning back to a Y this week - the sound system is awesome. I owned an ID.4 RWD Pro and that had an AM quality audio system. Mach-E Premium RWD was decent but slightly worse than Teslas. I test drove all trims of the Ioniq 5 and that audio system was worse than the Mach-Es.

EV6 pros - better suspension
Cons - terrible UI system. Same as Ioniq 5 which I test drove three times and even watched the handoff video. They will be upgrading that system to an Nvidia Drive next refresh

Why is the Meridian audio a pro? I heard it wasn’t great. It supposedly is not the same one installed in luxury cars. After returning back to a Y this week - the sound system is awesome. I owned an ID.4 RWD Pro and that had an AM quality audio system. Mach-E Premium RWD was decent but slightly worse than Teslas. I test drove all trims of the Ioniq 5 and that audio system was worse than the Mach-Es.
I read a hifi test somewhere who stated it was very good, but have not heard it myself. I do not think Ioniq 5 have the same sound system?
Compared to my Model 3 I sold, both Ipace (Meridian), etron (B&O) and iX (Harman/Kardon) was way better than Model 3. ID.4 lacks a sub and is not up there at all.

I read a hifi test somewhere who stated it was very good, but have not heard it myself. I do not think Ioniq 5 have the same sound system?
Compared to my Model 3 I sold, both Ipace (Meridian), etron (B&O) and iX (Harman/Kardon) was way better than Model 3. ID.4 lacks a sub and is not up there at all.
LR or SR Model 3? The Standard Range has a pretty basic audio system.

Mach- E has a B&O system and it’s good/decent. Again, better than the Bose system on the Limited AWD Ioniq 5 (top trim with everything including HUD and pano roof).

For what it's worth...I thought the Mach-E Premium AWD B&O system was better than the Tesla 3/Y AWD sound system. Especially at higher volumes.

However the H/K system in a loaded Polestar 2 was clearly worse than either Mach-E B&O or Tesla 3/Y AWD. The P2 H/K system wasn't bad per se, but it sounded small compared to Mach-E B&O or Tesla 3/Y, and nothing I tried with the settings really changed that much.

Reactions: daktari and voxel
Not if it's cold gating badly. Last time I charged our MY at a V3 Supercharger in Switzerland, it was –5 C outside, on arrival we were at 4% SOC, and at first we were pulling over 200 kW...
But the Tesla tapers fast.
According to a huge winter test done by the Norwegian Automobile Association, Ioniq 5 used 32 min and EV6 35 min 6-80% in -5C. Peaked at 150ish only.
Model Y with preheating used 39 min. We know from Bjørn Nyland videos that optimal summer charging for EV6/Ioniq5 is around 20 minutes, check the i4 M50 charging video.

So - I finally went out and drove an EV6. Drove the Ioniq 5 last week and wanted to compare. I gotta say - I really do like the EV6. Much more, I think, than the Ioniq 5. I think Kia did a much better job with the interior - it really is a nice car (it's a Kia - did I really just say that?).

The ride was really nice - acceleration and responsiveness was great. Very comfortable - seemed to ride a bit more sporty (but better) than the Ioniq 5. In my opinion, it definitely rides much nicer than the MY (and is much quieter). I was really impressed - I think Kia has a real winner with this car.

IMG_1563.jpg

I test drove an EV6 recently too. It was the RWD Wind without the Tech package. The dealership was great to work with (at least for the test drive). They let me take it out for an extended spin on my own for about 45 min.

For reference, my daily driver is a Model 3 LEMR, and I once briefly owned a 2020 Model Y. (I returned the Model Y due to the pressure/ear pain issue, back when there was a 7-day return policy).

1. As mentioned before, the ride is indeed substantially more quiet and comfortable and the Model 3 or Model Y. The noise/vibration/harshness is clearly superior to a Model 3 or Y. There was no ear pain/pressure/buffeting at all.

2. Handling was similar to Model Y, maybe slightly more agile because it's smaller. Felt well-planted in turns. The tighter turning radius is noticeably better than the Model Y.

3. Acceleration was interesting. It doesn't give you the full torque off the line, no matter how hard you press on the accelerator. Instead, it gives very limited torque for about a second, and then the power suddenly shoots up rapidly. In contrast, if you're already rolling (even really slowly) and mash on the accelerator, you get the full torque immediately. Some YouTube reviews have said that this is specific to the RWD and that the AWD version has immediate, full torque off the line. The salesperson at the dealership said that this is a known issue, and he's hoping this can be improved with a software update someday. Even in its current state, with less acceleration than any Tesla, it's still probably "good enough" for most people. (I very rarely use the full acceleration in my Model 3, but it's nice to have when I need it.) There was no "shudder."

4. I spent a lot of time testing out the Highway Driving Assist (HDA). It's no Autopilot. It "wobbles" slightly back and forth about the center of the lane. It is way more gentle in the amount of turning force it exerts on the steering wheel than Autopilot. As its name implies, it is definitely more of an assist and less of an autosteer. With HDA, I still need to actively steer, whereas with Autopilot, I'd be comfortable resting my hands on the steering wheel while paying attention. It wasn't immediately obvious when it's safe to let HDA do the steering - I had to look for the tiny green icon on the screen. HDA definitely can't handle even the mildly tighter curves that Autopilot takes without problems. On the plus side, when driving in the rightmost lane, it knows to stay to the left at each exit, rather than getting confused as I've seen with other cars with lane-keep assist. The model I test drove didn't have the auto lane change feature - that comes with HDA2, and to get that, you'd have to step up to the GT-line trim.

5. The dynamic cruise control is pretty good. In stop and go traffic, it slows down smoothly and stops closer to the car ahead than Autopilot typically does, which provoked some anxiety at first but is actually much closer to the way I would naturally drive. (I think Autopilot leaves too much space in stop and go traffic.) To start back up again after it stops, I had to tap the accelerator. I didn't find this annoying since I usually end up doing the same with Autopilot. Even though Autopilot will start back up on its own, I find that it waits too long after the car in front has moved forward. I didn't experience any phantom braking (but I haven't had phantom braking issues with the Teslas either - I guess I'm just lucky in that way).

6. As others have reported, the regen is very limited when you first start up the vehicle. I had to pull the right paddle a few times to make it feel like a Tesla (i.e. one-pedal-driving). It reverts to limited regen whenever you turn off the vehicle, so you'd need to do this every time. It's easy, and I think the muscle memory for this would develop quickly.

7. The on/off button feels old-school if you're coming from a Tesla, but I felt like I could re-learn to use it too.

8. It makes a very audible (from the inside) artificial noise when moving. I felt I could live with it.

9. Many people have said that the EV6 has a great interior. But after having driven a Tesla for years, I felt that the interior of the EV6 looked dated and cluttered. It made me appreciate how the Tesla's interior (esp the white one) is so clean and elegant, like a modern spaceship.

10. One thing I noticed about the EV6 is that the rear visibility was surprisingly good, better than trying to see out of that tiny rear window in a Model Y.

11. It has a sizable key fob. I've gotten used to Tesla's phone-as-a-key and I no longer carry any keys in my pocket, and a large key fob would now be annoying.

12. As others have said, the big, clear map on the Tesla MCU is way better than the EV6's.

13. It wasn't as large as I imagined it would be. It felt more like a large hot-hatch than an SUV. The fit and finish was flawless. No panel gap issues. Not a single squeak or rattle.

14. I really liked the ventilated seats. They didn't provide as much airflow as was expecting, but still much better than nothing.

15. The sound system wasn't noticeably better or worse than the Model 3 or Y.

Overall, I think the EV6 is a viable alternative to a Tesla, if it were sold at MSRP with the $7500 tax credit, especially if you don't care much for Autopilot and don't need AWD. Here, the dealership was charging $10K markup plus >$1K of useless add-ons, which makes it very easy to walk away from. Apparently there are plenty of people willing to pay this. (I'm not one of them.)

friend has been trying to get one (forgot which specific trim), several dealers he called and got call back from wanted a $10k markup also, thats a big negative for me, hate trying to deal with dealers, nickel and diming and wasting my time (“let me talk to the manager”, do they really do that or do they get coffee and play with their phone)

Otherwise, I’ve been seeing some on the road, both the ev6 and ioniq 5 (very retro yet futuristic looking headlights, pretty neat)

Love competition, can’t wait to see the genesis counterpart roll out too, will have nicer features and amenities I bet

Did you drive the GT line or the actual EV6 GT (which isn't even available in the US until later this year)? I don't know why they decided on such a confusing naming scheme.

The GT line awd is slower than the model 3, but it should be comparable to a model Y. Most EVs other than Tesla's also are much more affected by battery state of charge, so that's probably a part of the reason too.

@Velums and @Doc Brown thanks for your EV6 perspective. I've yet to read a single negative review of the EV6, what usually ruins the Kia experience is the dealership unfortunately. At least with Hyundai, you can (via their Buyer Assurance program) structure a deal without all the shady markups and surprise fees.

There are significant upsides, especially now with the recent Tesla price increases, to getting more features & potentially lower price (with $7500 EV federal tax credit). Key notables are 360 camera, quieter & comfier ride + Apple Carplay that we sorely miss from the Model Y. My wife, for one, dislikes the "snappy" acceleration of the Tesla and I'd be looking to trade my MYLR for the EV6 unless something better comes along later this year.

Thanks for the input!

I test drove the MY LR and about a month after, the Kia EV6 RWD GT Line. The MY gave me a smile from ear to ear. Everything was great and power delivery impressive. I know the EV6 was a RWD and cannot compare in power delivery but the whole experience was dull. It feels crowded inside with all the things they added. The materials seems nicer and in pictures its a great looking car but the interior didn't do it for me in person. I did like the paddles to adjust regen on the fly and the great 360 view when parking and the HUD display. Everything else was meh to me. It feels and drives too much like an ICE car which is OK for some people but for me it isn't. They wanted 3500 ADM not-negotiable. I felt that was fair compared to what other KIA dealers are charging but I had to pass on it. I'll keep waiting on the MY (now supposedly with an EDD of Oct - Jan 2023)