Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR vs. EV6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I test drove the MY LR and about a month after, the Kia EV6 RWD GT Line. The MY gave me a smile from ear to ear. Everything was great and power delivery impressive. I know the EV6 was a RWD and cannot compare in power delivery but the whole experience was dull. It feels crowded inside with all the things they added. The materials seems nicer and in pictures its a great looking car but the interior didn't do it for me in person. I did like the paddles to adjust regen on the fly and the great 360 view when parking and the HUD display. Everything else was meh to me. It feels and drives too much like an ICE car which is OK for some people but for me it isn't. They wanted 3500 ADM not-negotiable. I felt that was fair compared to what other KIA dealers are charging but I had to pass on it. I'll keep waiting on the MY (now supposedly with an EDD of Oct - Jan 2023)

The RWD trims (for EV6 and Ioniq 5) are pretty slow. In the 7+ second range in 0 to 60 which is slower than a base Model 3 RWD and a base Mach-E by at least a second plus. If you've driven a MYLR... it will be unexciting by comparison.

The RWD trims (for EV6 and Ioniq 5) are pretty slow. In the 7+ second range in 0 to 60 which is slower than a base Model 3 RWD and a base Mach-E by at least a second plus. If you've driven a MYLR... it will be unexciting by comparison.
Absolutely! But it was the whole experience and feel of the car in general that didn't work for me. It felt too busy / crowded inside. I really like the minimalistic clean look of the MY interior. Taste is different for everyone so for some the busy interior of the EV6 will feel more premium. I didn't like the long infotaiment screens of the EV6. It just wasn't for me. My GF could tell the difference on my face after the EV6 ride vs the MY even though she hates the MY interior. She said, "yup the MY is more you. THat's the car that makes you happy" LOL

Reactions: voxel
Going with my dad to test drive an EV6 today. I own a model Y so he wanted me to give him my perspective.

One question about non teslas and long distance driving. Will the EV6 seemlessly route you to chargers along the route like a tesla?

I ask because I always read that the tesla network is far superior for road tripping. Doing some research on EV6 road-tripping via the ABRP app I am finding that the time to get at every destination is faster than what it shows for my Y.

It looks like maybe the public network has finally caught up?

ABRP shows that the EV6 charges really fast on the 350kW chargers and there seems to be good amount of them along all of the routes I simulated.

Got me thinking that I should order the CCS adaptor from Korea. The only problem is I don’t think the tesla Nav would factor in CCS chargers into the route planning. Seems like it would be a pain to be looking at my phone while driving to search for CCS chargers instead of just following the tesla nav route.

I believe that the car should be able to route you to chargers along the way.

The EV6 and Ioniq 5 both can charge faster than the Y in optimal conditions. However, as best as I can tell, neither has battery preconditioning yet, so in cold weather, they will charge slower. That can be added via software update though

There are lots of EA stations now, but it seems that reliability and availability of 350kw chargers can still be an issue. Errors during charging still seems to be a common thing among road trip videos. With all the new EVs being sold, it's very easy for the 350kw stations to be taken.

I also think that at some point Tesla will let you choose whether or not to use CCS chargers along the route and even precondition for it. I'd just wait until the adapter becomes officially available in the US.

Overall, I'd say the supercharger network is still an advantage for Tesla, but that advantage shrinks a bit every month.

• Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa
Watch out for the EV6 with its loose rear end. It's tail happy to put it simply. You can either look at that as a good thing or a bad thing, typically in this segment its not a positive.

We noticed the same tail-happy behavior = on our public-road test loop: Push the EV6 hard into a corner, and it leads from the back.

You have to get all the braking done before starting the turn-in. It hates trail-braking.

The second line kinda reminds me of the patented kill your driver pre-subframed 911s that loved to wrap themselves around trees, think pre 993. But on the flipside, it could be a good thing if you like sliding often. Still I can't imagine its a very good base to work from especially given its market demographics.

Would anyone who’s driven both the Model Y and EV6 care to comment on the driving position? We currently have a Model 3 and test drove the Model Y which we have now ordered as we prefer both the hatchback (for the dog) and the higher driving position. Is the EV6 driving position as high as the Model Y?

Watch out for the EV6 with its loose rear end. It's tail happy to put it simply.
This is only with the SC (nannies) turned OFF and it defaults to ON. It will probably get better autocross times with it off. Too much understeer is just as dangerous as mild oversteer, and there was no mention of snap oversteer which causes a lot of wrecks. Everything I've tracked that is fast has at least a mild case of oversteer. It's what the Track Mode on a M3P allows.

Going with my dad to test drive an EV6 today. I own a model Y so he wanted me to give him my perspective.

One question about non teslas and long distance driving. Will the EV6 seemlessly route you to chargers along the route like a tesla?

I ask because I always read that the tesla network is far superior for road tripping. Doing some research on EV6 road-tripping via the ABRP app I am finding that the time to get at every destination is faster than what it shows for my Y.

It looks like maybe the public network has finally caught up?

ABRP shows that the EV6 charges really fast on the 350kW chargers and there seems to be good amount of them along all of the routes I simulated.

Got me thinking that I should order the CCS adaptor from Korea. The only problem is I don’t think the tesla Nav would factor in CCS chargers into the route planning. Seems like it would be a pain to be looking at my phone while driving to search for CCS chargers instead of just following the tesla nav route.

The routing is no where near what Tesla is capable of. It has no pre-conditioning and doesn't optimize your trip based on the chargers along the way.

Also, ABRP assumes the max optimized charge rate for the car however, with no pre-conditioning, the eGMP platform cars won't optimize the charging so it will take a little longer than what ABRP predicts.

I would get the CCS adapter simply because it gives me more options. Too bad my car doesn't support it yet...hoping there is a retrofit to get that module installed.

Reactions: cusetownusa
This is only with the SC (nannies) turned OFF and it defaults to ON. It will probably get better autocross times with it off. Too much understeer is just as dangerous as mild oversteer, and there was no mention of snap oversteer which causes a lot of wrecks. Everything I've tracked that is fast has at least a mild case of oversteer. It's what the Track Mode on a M3P allows.
Yea, but its still perplexing from a vehicle dynamics perspective. This isn't a sports car obviously so its strange to tune or allow a loose rear end in this market segment. How the car handles natively tells us a lot of what they were thinking and I'm not fan of hiding or reining it in with TC even though it is the way it is.

Reactions: tm1v2
The routing is no where near what Tesla is capable of. It has no pre-conditioning and doesn't optimize your trip based on the chargers along the way.

Also, ABRP assumes the max optimized charge rate for the car however, with no pre-conditioning, the eGMP platform cars won't optimize the charging so it will take a little longer than what ABRP predicts.

I would get the CCS adapter simply because it gives me more options. Too bad my car doesn't support it yet...hoping there is a retrofit to get that module installed.
Correct. Forgot to follow up after checking out the EV6. To me, after owning a Model Y for a month, the EV6 infotainment system is horrible and would be a del breaker for me. Not sure why that is glossed over so easily in the reviews.

Also wasn’t a fan of the interior. Seemed cramped and very busy with lots of gloss black and design choices that I feel would quickly look dated. That is just my opinion though and I am one of the people that love the minimalist interior of the Model Y.

Also, I ended up ordering the CCS1 adapter yesterday just to have options and peace of mind when road tripping.

Reactions: voxel and Apprunner
To me, after owning a Model Y for a month, the EV6 infotainment system is horrible and would be a del breaker for me. Not sure why that is glossed over so easily in the reviews.

It's because there are much worse systems than the EV6 (I'm looking at you ID.4) and also it is pretty similar to other Kias like the Telluride.

As for the interior - most definitely cramped and cave like. That's why I'd only buy an EV6 with a light gray interior but supposedly those are rare. I had white interiors with my Teslas and light gray one with my Mach-E.

It's because there are much worse systems than the EV6 (I'm looking at you ID.4) and also it is pretty similar to other Kias like the Telluride.

As for the interior - most definitely cramped and cave like. That's why I'd only buy an EV6 with a light gray interior but supposedly those are rare. I had white interiors with my Teslas and light gray one with my Mach-E.

Is the interior the same size as the ioniq 5? I thought headroom was the only place where its smaller.

Is the interior the same size as the ioniq 5? I thought headroom was the only place where its smaller.

The Ioniq 5 felt a lot roomier. The EV6 felt narrower and with less headspace. But then again I mainly remember the Limited with the sliding console and huge empty space at my feet. The cloth seats of the SE and lack of front sensor completely turned me off on that trim. Along with the poor audio system. The EV6 was so dark I don't remember the space.

FYI I also test drove all Ioniq 5 trims with bright interiors (light grey and that light green mix).

The Ioniq 5 felt a lot roomier. The EV6 felt narrower and with less headspace. But then again I mainly remember the Limited with the sliding console and huge empty space at my feet. The cloth seats of the SE and lack of front sensor completely turned me off on that trim. Along with the poor audio system. The EV6 was so dark I don't remember the space.

FYI I also test drove all Ioniq 5 trims with bright interiors (light grey and that light green mix).

We ended up getting the EV6 Wind as we found one on the lots. No sunroof so headroom wasn't an issue and the mid-spec EV6 comes with ventilated and memory seats which was what we were looking for.

We are very happy with the purchase as the ride is sublime compared to the Tesla and it simply just quieter at highway speeds. 0-70 is really good then it starts running out of breath pretty quick. By 90 mph, you can tell the pull has dropped off noticeably.

I would have preferred the Ioniq 5 but happy we have this as availability was sketchy for both models in southern California. The Wind version comes with the premium sound...its okay but not as good as the premium sound in the Tesla. Overall though, its a great family car and the ride quality along with the noise levels makes it the perfect car for us.

• Informative
Reactions: voxel and tm1v2
We ended up getting the EV6 Wind as we found one on the lots. No sunroof so headroom wasn't an issue and the mid-spec EV6 comes with ventilated and memory seats which was what we were looking for.

We are very happy with the purchase as the ride is sublime compared to the Tesla and it simply just quieter at highway speeds. 0-70 is really good then it starts running out of breath pretty quick. By 90 mph, you can tell the pull has dropped off noticeably.

I would have preferred the Ioniq 5 but happy we have this as availability was sketchy for both models in southern California. The Wind version comes with the premium sound...its okay but not as good as the premium sound in the Tesla. Overall though, its a great family car and the ride quality along with the noise levels makes it the perfect car for us.

Good choice! (weirdly Ioniq 5s are much cheaper in FL than EV6s which still have insane markups)

One minor quibble.. the EV6 isn't that quiet in the interior. It's about the same as the new Model 3s and Model Ys. The Ioniq 5 IS MUCH quieter and something I noticed in my test drives. Bjorn's tests demonstrate this (there's a noise test spreadsheet somewhere) and so do audio reviews:

The older Model 3s and Ys were poorly insulated.

The Kia HDA (driver assist) systems are excellent and I prefer them over Tesla Autopilot.

Good choice! (weirdly Ioniq 5s are much cheaper in FL than EV6s which still have insane markups)

One minor quibble.. the EV6 isn't that quiet in the interior. It's about the same as the new Model 3s and Model Ys. The Ioniq 5 IS MUCH quieter and something I noticed in my test drives. Bjorn's tests demonstrate this (there's a noise test spreadsheet somewhere) and so do audio reviews:

The Kia HDA (driver assist) systems are excellent and I prefer them over Tesla Autopilot.

Thats very interesting. Model 3/Y must have improved quite a bit then as my Model 3 wind noise is pretty bad :D. I find the EV6 to be very quiet overall. The best attribute of the car is the suspension though...very compliant and yet sporty at the same time. The worst part of the car is software...the Tesla UI and software feature package is waaaay ahead. Luckily, Carplay makes up for a lot of the deficiencies.

I am very surprised by your last sentence. We have a Kia Telluride with HDA and for me it doesn't come close to the autopilot in my Model Y. Any bend in the road for the HDA I have to take over and the autopilot has been flawless no matter how much the road curves.

Reactions: thesmokingman
I am very surprised by your last sentence. We have a Kia Telluride with HDA and for me it doesn't come close to the autopilot in my Model Y. Any bend in the road for the HDA I have to take over and the autopilot has been flawless no matter how much the road curves.

I drove my 2022 Model 3 RWD to Miami on a 250 mile trip and Autopilot was constantly disengaging every time a truck zipped by (Autopilot thinks it is close to cutting me off). Maybe you have FSD? Every time I changed lanes it would disengage also.

In Miami, I traded the 3 for the Telluride and on the way back (another 250 miles) HDA was smooth. It did not disengage with highway traffic and it was hands free for a longer period of time without the constant nagging. I pretty sure I drove more miles with HDA full engaged than Autopilot. Many trucks on the turnpike were brushing by and disengaging Autopilot what seemed every 10+ miles.