Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR vs. Model Y Performance ride quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a little torn between the LR and MYP. I've read several people complain the ride quality of the Model Y is a little harsh. No matter which one I get I plan on putting Martian 19" wheels on it. It is my understanding this will bring the MYP range a little closer to the Model Y LR.

Does the Model Y performance ride suffer vs. the Model Y LR?

If so, is it a component of the 21" wheels or the suspension setup itself. Or perhaps a combination?

Any input is appreciated.

John

From my knowledge, the stiff ride is a combination of the suspension since it has a shorter length of travel and is tighter combined with rims that are too big. You will get better ride with 19" for sure but suspension will remain a bit tight and there is a coil over mod for that from unplugged tesla you can get its i think 2-3k.... But it's like paying so much for a MYP then more for all these mods let alone all the other stuf you can do (eg PPF/tinting etc) so I realize its best to just stick with LR AWD and use that extra $10k for FSD later

I'm also undecided on the MYP v LR AWD. I saw a engineering explained video where the Perf 3 hit a pot hole and cracked the rim and tire and that costed like $3k to replace two tires and one cracked rim.... This makes it even more difficult to spend the difference between the two models (LRAWD v MYP) when considering on top of that you have to buy either a winter set of rims/tires or a 19" set to replace the uberturbines.

I'm kind of thinking of just getting the LR AWD and buying accelboost with it, and get the Induction 20" and pay that 2k now esp if you are getting a loan so its cheaper, and then just spend the 2-4k on a winter tire set so that way you have two nice sets of rims for winter/summer.

MYP would of been my first pick but its just too damn expensive for what you get especially since you can't choose wheel/rim size for a smaller rim/wheel and no other options available

What is making it difficult for you to decide? Is it just the ride? I drove both LR AWD And MYP and the difference to me personally wasn't that big MYP felt like driving a newer BMW X5 to me it was firm but not uncomfortable or super stiff.

I ordered the MYP because it's a bargain. Think about it, for its price and I can experience 3.5sec 0-60.

It is a huge bargain but if you think about it, it's a 1.5s faster for 10k and considering you are in NYC, that's another 1-2k for a good set of winter tires/rims so 11-12k...... that's still riding on 21's and potholes in NY can be harsh........ I also want a MYP but once I realize the realities of owning it seems to be very expensive, those stock uberturbine wheels run $300-400 each and the MYP chews threw them due to heavy weight and pzero's being super sticky and constant acceleration. I've personally been trying to justify the cost difference but the logical side of me is giving me big doubts. I dont mind paying $10k extra for the 3.5s 0-60, but paying premium every few years for new tires etc is just way too much added costs, considering i wont be tracking the car... Another point is with 3.5 how many cars are you beating that you aren't beating at say 4.3? there's only a handful of cars in that range so it's kind of paying $10k for extra insurance to say i want to beat every car out there that i can potentially run into except the rare few who will beat a MYP

It is a huge bargain but if you think about it, it's a 1.5s faster for 10k and considering you are in NYC, that's another 1-2k for a good set of winter tires/rims so 11-12k...... that's still riding on 21's and potholes in NY can be harsh........ I also want a MYP but once I realize the realities of owning it seems to be very expensive, those stock uberturbine wheels run $300-400 each and the MYP chews threw them due to heavy weight and pzero's being super sticky and constant acceleration. I've personally been trying to justify the cost difference but the logical side of me is giving me big doubts. I dont mind paying $10k extra for the 3.5s 0-60, but paying premium every few years for new tires etc is just way too much added costs, considering i wont be tracking the car... Another point is with 3.5 how many cars are you beating that you aren't beating at say 4.3? there's only a handful of cars in that range so it's kind of paying $10k for extra insurance to say i want to beat every car out there that i can potentially run into except the rare few who will beat a MYP

I agree with you. Its fine since i only use it to commute for work. Mostly highway so pot holes is not a big problem. I do have another car for comfort and local shopping etc.. I am not trying to race or anything, but the fact that i am driving a 3.5s car will worth it.

Reactions: BigKRIT
My two previous Tesla's were both the Performance versions. That's why I'm struggling a little bit. However, after having my 2020 Model X Performance I did feel like I would have been happy with the LR. I road trip a lot and range is king as they say. I placed an order on Friday for the LR version. Of course I can still edit the design for a few more days. The plan is to get the Performance boost for 2k and to put 19" Martian wheels on it.

I'm a little torn between the LR and MYP. I've read several people complain the ride quality of the Model Y is a little harsh. No matter which one I get I plan on putting Martian 19" wheels on it. It is my understanding this will bring the MYP range a little closer to the Model Y LR.

Does the Model Y performance ride suffer vs. the Model Y LR?

If so, is it a component of the 21" wheels or the suspension setup itself. Or perhaps a combination?

Any input is appreciated.

John

I have a 2020 MYP with 19" Geminis from 21" Überturbines. The rated range is up +20 on 19" Geminis and a little softer ride. Still you can tell the stiff suspension of the Performance Y. I also compare this ride to my LR AWD Model 3 on 19" Sportwheels.

To your same dilemma, which I have been mulling over and in fact have a MYP on order, I have made up my mind (I think :().

I am thinking of replacing my LR AWD Model 3 with (was MYP) but now with 7 seater LR Model Y.

My plan is to spend about $3K each to upgrade my current MYP and this future LR Y with MPP coilover suspension. Adding the $3K for 7 seater Y equates to the $10K I would have spent for another MYP...that would have left me with 2 MYP with stiff suspension.

So, I guess the question is - what are you after? 3.5 second Performance or the $10K less Y that you can upgrade to a better suspension and with extra range?
20210131_075532_IMG_8210.jpg

I have a 2020 MYP with 19" Geminis from 21" Überturbines. The rated range is up +20 on 19" Geminis and a little softer ride. Still you can tell the stiff suspension of the Performance Y. I also compare this ride to my LR AWD Model 3 on 19" Sportwheels.

To your same dilemma, which I have been mulling over and in fact have a MYP on order, I have made up my mind (I think :().

I am thinking of replacing my LR AWD Model 3 with (was MYP) but now with 7 seater LR Model Y.

My plan is to spend about $3K each to upgrade my current MYP and this future LR Y with MPP coilover suspension. Adding the $3K for 7 seater Y equates to the $10K I would have spent for another MYP...that would have left me with 2 MYP with stiff suspension.

So, I guess the question is - what are you after? 3.5 second Performance or the $10K less Y that you can upgrade to a better suspension and with extra range?
View attachment 636611

damn that is a really confusing post man hard to undersatnd whats going on lol how are you upgrading the MYP and with what? coilover to make it softer? TBH a lot of these workarounds speaks to the initial problem of either making a bad decision and getting a MYP when you later change your mind or should of initially gone with a LR AWD with acceleration boost.... Ddi you sell the 21" Uberturbines?

This is why I believe the Stealth (or non-PUP) Model Y should still be able to be ordered (even if it is off menu). There are a lot of people who might want the MYP but the wheels/suspension are a no go. When you start adding up the additional costs of new wheels / tires and coil overs, it just becomes not worth it. I think with the acceleration boost add-on for the LR MY, the Stealth MY will not come back which is a shame. I went with a Stealth Model Y Performance because the ride on the PUP MYP was rough on the best roads; I can’t fathom it on NYC potholes.

Reactions: LicenseToDrive
damn that is a really confusing post man hard to undersatnd whats going on lol how are you upgrading the MYP and with what? coilover to make it softer? TBH a lot of these workarounds speaks to the initial problem of either making a bad decision and getting a MYP when you later change your mind or should of initially gone with a LR AWD with acceleration boost.... Ddi you sell the 21" Uberturbines?

Haha, sorry its confusing. Let me break it down...

I have a 2020 MYP with harsh suspension - it will cost $3K to upgrade to Mountain Pass Performance coilover suspension.
MountainPass Performance Comfort Coilovers

So, If I get another MYP I will end up with 2 MYPs with harsh suspension.
Instead I will get a 7 seater LR AWD Model Y, and use the $10K to upgrade $3K MPP coilovers too.

I kept the 21 Uberturbines for summer/back up.

Last edited:
Haha, sorry its confusing. Let me break it down...

I have a 2020 MYP with harsh suspension - it will cost $3K to upgrade to Mountain Pass Performance coilover suspension.
MountainPass Performance Comfort Coilovers

So, If I get another MYP I will end up with 2 MYPs with harsh suspension.
Instead I will get a 7 seater LR AWD Model Y, and use the $10K to upgrade $3K MPP coilovers too.

I kept the 21 Uberturbines for summer/back up.

Oh ok ! that is much easier and I get it now! what vehicle were you driving/comparing the MYP harsh suspension with? feels like a X5 to me personally, and i noticed only little difference with MY LRAWD and MYP suspension wise

It is a huge bargain but if you think about it, it's a 1.5s faster for 10k
The difference isn't as large as you think it is. Stock LR AWD is 4.5-4.6 0-60. With the acceleration boost it's 3.8-3.9s. The MYP is still 0.4-0.5s faster than the LR with the AB but don't let Tesla's shady marketing fool you. They report the non-Performance models without rollout and the Performance model times with the 1ft rollout.

Reactions: Stach
BMW charges 13k more for .3s 0-60 with the X3 M40 and X3M. So even if the gap isn’t quite what marketing would have you to believe, it’s certainly in line with other autos.

That argument is completely different. This is actually a big myth because you can get aftermarket flash thats cheaper and gives you better % increases than LRAWD/MYP for example here's one i just quickly googled VR Tuned ECU Flash Tune BMW 335i E92|E90 3.0L TT N54 06-10 | VRT-335I-E9X-TT

The difference isn't as large as you think it is. Stock LR AWD is 4.5-4.6 0-60. With the acceleration boost it's 3.8-3.9s. The MYP is still 0.4-0.5s faster than the LR with the AB but don't let Tesla's shady marketing fool you. They report the non-Performance models without rollout and the Performance model times with the 1ft rollout.

How come you getting the 3 perf then and not regular and boost? Also, what proof is there MYP is without rollout and MYP is with 1ft rollout making the difference only .5 faster?

Last edited:
How come you getting the 3 perf then and not regular and boost? Also, what proof is there MYP is without rollout and MYP is with 1ft rollout making the difference only .5 faster?
Because why not. It'll be nice to have one LR and one Performance in the garage.

Download the Dragy GPS app and look at the Tesla leaderboard. This has been discussed numerous times in various threads here, so check out the data on the app or look through past discussions. I've posted my numbers and screen shots from the app showing the MYP times, with and without rollout. I've gotten 3.90, 3.93, 3.98 on my LR Y w/ boost. I've seen one hit 3.85.

• Informative
Reactions: iustin and Stach
That argument is completely different. This is actually a big myth because you can get aftermarket flash thats cheaper and gives you better % increases than LRAWD/MYP for example here's one i just quickly googled VR Tuned ECU Flash Tune BMW 335i E92|E90 3.0L TT N54 06-10 | VRT-335I-E9X-TT

Which part is myth, and which part is a different argument? I'm simply stating that other manufacturers, including one that is mentioned here often and I am quite familiar with, charge grand sums of money for half a second of performance. The fact that most of the tuning is done in software even more parallels with the discussion, since a major part of the performance increase is software based.

I am constantly reading how people justify not getting the MYP because they can do the AB and get close. Thats fine, but if you want the best performance, you still need the MYP, and paying the 6-8k delta is perfectly in line with what other automakers do.

(at least this thread started out about ride quality between the two, which is not software based)

Reactions: pt19713
To continue the original conversation, this is the first car I may pay for aftermarket suspension upgrades. I've spec'd adaptive suspensions on all my cars when it was an option. Reading that the MYP practically sits on the bump stops has perhaps convinced me I can only gain by getting the MPP coilovers. I am usually very wary of messing with suspension geometry but in this case it seems the MY suspension is fairly simple in design and all Tesla did was use lowering springs on the MYP, leaving plenty of room for fairly straightforward suspension upgrades to provide real improvement. My plan with the MPP coilover kit is keep pretty much the stock MYP ride height, so I shouldn't be trading stance for comfort. Sounds like a win-win. If I'm still unhappy, a change to 20's should provide improvement. I'm gonna give the 21's a shot with the coilover kit, will be interesting. Ride might be acceptable, pothole resistance may not.

To continue the original conversation, this is the first car I may pay for aftermarket suspension upgrades. I've spec'd adaptive suspensions on all my cars when it was an option. Reading that the MYP practically sits on the bump stops has perhaps convinced me I can only gain by getting the MPP coilovers. I am usually very wary of messing with suspension geometry but in this case it seems the MY suspension is fairly simple in design and all Tesla did was use lowering springs on the MYP, leaving plenty of room for fairly straightforward suspension upgrades to provide real improvement. My plan with the MPP coilover kit is keep pretty much the stock MYP ride height, so I shouldn't be trading stance for comfort. Sounds like a win-win. If I'm still unhappy, a change to 20's should provide improvement. I'm gonna give the 21's a shot with the coilover kit, will be interesting. Ride might be acceptable, pothole resistance may not.
Good plan

Attachments

• mpp_susp_modelY_01.jpg
    mpp_susp_modelY_01.jpg
    698.5 KB · Views: 210
  • mpp_susp_modelY_05.jpg
    mpp_susp_modelY_05.jpg
    697.2 KB · Views: 202

Yes, the bad suspension setup especially on the Y Performance as you’ve noted is why I got the MPP coilovers.. have never considered coilovers before this car; I dropped by half an inch to gain improved handling and feel more like a model 3 but the ride has significantly improved. You can see in my posted video in the MPP coilovers thread if you find the noise levels and ride acceptable.