Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR vs. Model Y Performance ride quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good plan

Yeah. Honestly, the simplicity in the design probably makes this a great opportunity to realize the changes you get with a coilover upgrade. Usually, guys putting KWs on their BMWs was almost always for lowering, and of course hard core track guys (I am not a "track your daily driver" guy)

So I'm kind of excited to try this out.

Yes, the bad suspension setup especially on the Y Performance as you’ve noted is why I got the MPP coilovers.. have never considered coilovers before this car; I dropped by half an inch to gain improved handling and feel more like a model 3 but the ride has significantly improved. You can see in my posted video in the MPP coilovers thread if you find the noise levels and ride acceptable.

Nice. I've read similar sentiments (first time coilover purchases, was pessimistic about ride improvement, etc etc). So it sounds like this might be the ticket.

You might want to consider the rear adjustable camber arms, too, since the factory camber specs are quite aggressive (up to -2.0 in the rear). It's unfortunate they didn't design much in terms of adjustability in the OEM design. Cost cuts, I guess :(

You might want to consider the rear adjustable camber arms, too, since the factory camber specs are quite aggressive (up to -2.0 in the rear). It's unfortunate they didn't design much in terms of adjustability in the OEM design. Cost cuts, I guess :(

I think that’s entirely it. Even though a MYP is mid 60s out the door, it’s their “budget” model CUV.

Tesla doesn’t have to load in the creature comforts because they are competing on different terms. I think this will be the largest shock for me. Cool tech but it’s a budget box for creature comforts.

I ordered the MYP because it's a bargain. Think about it, for its price and I can experience 3.5sec 0-60.

I would disagree, my friend has it and said the novelty wore off because he would constantly floor it, lose range. Now he really only floors it when people who haven't been in a tesla take a ride.

Its like when siri first came out and we all used it for a week then just forgot lol

I have performance Y, riding on 20s in the summer and 19s in the winter. Like most others I thought the ride was harsh and put in MPP coil overs and toe/camber arms which vastly improved the ride quality and now it’s comfortable.

If I had to do it all again I’d buy a LR, add performance boost and still get the suspension because it’s awesome. The only difference in non-performance brakes are the rear calipers and color. That would save me some money on the overall performance purchase along with saving $$ on downsizing wheels.
2851E7E9-B09B-4F56-BF9B-C74AD5A4E2D1.jpeg
DF3CD86C-29E4-4298-A987-C5C71E23FCA9.jpeg
130F2F9A-BC0A-4748-963C-35AD9F8F17BD.jpeg

Last edited:
All great points. My conclusion was that the decision between Y LR (w/ performance boost) and Y P comes down to personal preferences. The former is far more practical, hands down. The latter is more toy and requires a second set of wheels (for winter, long road trips, etc.). I really appreciate posts like this and all the contributions because I've wrestled with this for a year now.

In the end, I always regretted not being able to afford the Performance version of my S. My S 0-60 was 4.3s which seemed slow over time. The cost to upgrade to Performance on the Y is so affordable (relatively to S/X and other ICE cars) that I couldn't pass up this fun opportunity. YOLO

Reactions: iustin and tibook
I would disagree, my friend has it and said the novelty wore off because he would constantly floor it, lose range. Now he really only floors it when people who haven't been in a tesla take a ride.

Its like when siri first came out and we all used it for a week then just forgot lol

if the performance aspect is a novelty then this is perfectly reasonable. Just because my cars have always been “performance” modes doesn’t mean I have to floor it all the time.

if you’re the kind of person who can appreciate 3.5s, it’s the car for you. If it doesn’t matter and fast is fast, then the difference in 3.5 and 4.0 isn’t really gonna be worth the money now is it?

It’s strange how people keep trying to make a defense that it’s not worth the extra money. It is quantifiably worth extra money if you want the fastest model. If this isn’t you, then you already know the answer, don’t buy it. For most people, especially those not familiar with high performance driving, the MYLR+AB is pretty strong and should satisfy voyeurs of acceleration .

I'm a little torn between the LR and MYP. I've read several people complain the ride quality of the Model Y is a little harsh. No matter which one I get I plan on putting Martian 19" wheels on it. It is my understanding this will bring the MYP range a little closer to the Model Y LR.

Does the Model Y performance ride suffer vs. the Model Y LR?

If so, is it a component of the 21" wheels or the suspension setup itself. Or perhaps a combination?

Any input is appreciated.

John

Id try buying this instead of the UPP luxury coil over kit which is $3000 - these are comfort springs for around $400, it will keep you at stock height and give a smoother ride.

The big difference is that the 3k ones can be lowered or raised, which I don't need, I want comfort!

if the performance aspect is a novelty then this is perfectly reasonable. Just because my cars have always been “performance” modes doesn’t mean I have to floor it all the time.

if you’re the kind of person who can appreciate 3.5s, it’s the car for you. If it doesn’t matter and fast is fast, then the difference in 3.5 and 4.0 isn’t really gonna be worth the money now is it?

It’s strange how people keep trying to make a defense that it’s not worth the extra money. It is quantifiably worth extra money if you want the fastest model. If this isn’t you, then you already know the answer, don’t buy it. For most people, especially those not familiar with high performance driving, the MYLR+AB is pretty strong and should satisfy voyeurs of acceleration .

I mean if you're in a non snowy area, its not very quantifiable unless you have the money or like you said value the extra .7 seconds of 0-60 which isn't even that big of a deal unless you're on a track lol im in the North East, my friend with the MYP had to buy a second set of tires which he didn't think about before as well. so its 10k + 2k? for snow tires + a bit less. In addition roads in the area from Boston to DC suck , tons of pot holes and un even roads. So the ride is MUCH harsher. I test drove both MY on the same routes, and the LR was noticeably smoother, and higher up.

Id really only want to buy a MYP if I had the money to blow, and I lived in the south with no snow (sans Texas and that 100 car pile up)

Id try buying this instead of the UPP luxury coil over kit which is $3000 - these are comfort springs for around $400, it will keep you at stock height and give a smoother ride.

The big difference is that the 3k ones can be lowered or raised, which I don't need, I want comfort!
Don't forget the shock adjustment. The stock Y shocks aren't the greatest.

I mean if you're in a non snowy area, its not very quantifiable unless you have the money or like you said value the extra .7 seconds of 0-60 which isn't even that big of a deal unless you're on a track lol im in the North East, my friend with the MYP had to buy a second set of tires which he didn't think about before as well. so its 10k + 2k? for snow tires + a bit less. In addition roads in the area from Boston to DC suck , tons of pot holes and un even roads. So the ride is MUCH harsher. I test drove both MY on the same routes, and the LR was noticeably smoother, and higher up.

Id really only want to buy a MYP if I had the money to blow, and I lived in the south with no snow (sans Texas and that 100 car pile up)
Don't forget the shock adjustment. The stock Y shocks aren't the greatest.

so do you think those $400 coil wont be enough for a smoother ride

From what I'm reading most are happy with it, so it's probably good enough.
I went the adjustable coilover option mostly because I plan on keeping the car awhile, so if I'm already in there pulling apart everything, might as well replace the shocks.

Yes and as has been identified, the stock Performance springs already ride on the bump stops all the time, lowering will further compress into the bump stops.. so why do it apart from looks.. you do gain:

- (potentially embarrassing) loud spring noise as reported by some after a few months
- extra trips to the shop to replace defective springs (see Model 3 forum horror stories, leading many to convert to what they should have bought in the first place- MPP coilovers) and a worn factory shock absorber in your future
- need for rear camber arms with that lowering

tldr; if you’re messing with the suspension and lowering, get the coilovers and rear camber arms, do it right the first time.. time is a precious commodity

Reactions: trlengle and tibook

Yes, performance tires wear a lot faster.

If you want to debate from a practicality approach, then the standard range is what most people should be buying, especially in the south, it’s still quick and the instantaneous torque is going to provide the most excitement anyway. Buy the dual motor if you need AWD and the extra range. Don’t spend 2k on a half second acceleration boost software unlock there’s no practical reason for having it.
There I think we covered everything ;-)

Yes and as has been identified, the stock Performance springs already ride on the bump stops all the time, lowering will further compress into the bump stops.. so why do it apart from looks.. you do gain:

- (potentially embarrassing) loud spring noise as reported by some after a few months
- extra trips to the shop to replace defective springs (see Model 3 forum horror stories, leading many to convert to what they should have bought in the first place- MPP coilovers) and a worn factory shock absorber in your future
- need for rear camber arms with that lowering

tldr; if you’re messing with the suspension and lowering, get the coilovers and rear camber arms, do it right the first time.. time is a precious commodity

I want the MY LR with Gemini wheels. I want to see how the ride is when I first drive before doing anything, but 3k didn't seem worth it to me, so the $400 coils might be a good place for me if I did want to upgrade. Not interested in lowering, just want a smooth ride!

Yes, performance tires wear a lot faster.

If you want to debate from a practicality approach, then the standard range is what most people should be buying, especially in the south, it’s still quick and the instantaneous torque is going to provide the most excitement anyway. Buy the dual motor if you need AWD and the extra range. Don’t spend 2k on a half second acceleration boost software unlock there’s no practical reason for having it.
There I think we covered everything ;-)

yeah I guess so, Since im in the north east, I decided for the LR. I read about many people online, and one mentioned in this thread as well, that if they did it over they would go with the LR. Replacing the tired often, and those rims can crack so easy up here, Its just potential of more money and time that aren't worth it. I have a ford edge sport now, its probably 0-60 in 6.5? so the LR acceleration is more than enough for excitement for me!

Well I received a VIN this morning (125,2XX). So time to decide and I think I'll keep the LR. My 2020 Model X Performance was fun, but I always said I would have been happy with the LR version. So time to put that to the test. I love performance and have a new Porsche Spyder to drive on the weekends (and it replaced my Ferrari). I will get the acceleration boost and I think that will make it just fun enough for me.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

John