Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR vs P comfort

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there!

So we are waiting for our MY LR with the 20" wheels.

We chose the LR in order to get a bit more comfort and range out of the Model Y. I've spoken to the Tesla support who said that Performance might be a bit more stiff and bumpy since it has the 21" wheels and lowered suspension.
All fine, we made our decision based on that info and I was a happy camper.

But now when I read different reviews and groups on Facebook a number of people say that the Perfomance is less noisy and more comfortable and that the LR is a bad choice if you want extra comfort?!

I don't get it, how could a lowered car with bigger wheels be better in that regard, I guess they really must have upped their game with the P?

I just feel really stupid now and have quite some buyers remorse if that is the case.

Has anyone here driven both the 2022 LR and P that could give an honest opinion? One person that I asked said that he compared a -22 P to a -20 LR and he claimed that "Tesla has since then tweaked the LR suspension to make it better, so there is a chance that the new LR might be better in that regard".

Have I made the wrong decision here?

Hi there!

We chose the LR in order to get a bit more comfort and range out of the Model Y. I've spoken to the Tesla support who said that Performance might be a bit more stiff and bumpy since it has the 21" wheels and lowered suspension.

But now when I read different reviews and groups on Facebook a number of people say that the Perfomance is less noisy and more comfortable and that the LR is a bad choice if you want extra comfort?!

I don't get it, how could a lowered car with bigger wheels be better in that regard, I guess they really must have upped their game with the P?

I just feel really stupid now and have quite some buyers remorse if that is the case.

Has anyone here driven both the 2022 LR and P that could give an honest opinion? One person that I asked said that he compared a -22 P to a -20 LR and he claimed that "Tesla has since then tweaked the LR suspension to make it better, so there is a chance that the new LR might be better in that regard".

If you are looking for a comfortable ride, the MY simply isn’t it. Period.

The word “comfortable” is subjective though and it seems expectations are set based on the vehicle you are coming to Tesla from. If it’s a 10 year old Kia, you’ll probably be fine. If it’s any German car, you’re going to hate it.

Where you drive is also a factor. Do you live in the middle of corn-country where all the roads are flat and evenly paved? You may not have a big problem. Do you live in a city where the roads look like a bombed out war zone? You are going to hate, hate, hate taking the MY anywhere.

Upvote 0

There are so many opinions out there. Some people have no idea of what they are talking about. Some do.

We have 19,000 miles on a Model Y and love it. I can't compare it to a Performance, but we find our car to be very comfortable and would never consider it to be noisy at all. Our MYLR has the double pane front windows.

I find it hard to believe a Performance would be more comfortable ... or quieter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The word “comfortable” is subjective though and it seems expectations are set based on the vehicle you are coming to Tesla from. If it’s a 10 year old Kia, you’ll probably be fine. If it’s any German car, you’re going to hate it.

Where you drive is also a factor. Do you live in the middle of corn-country where all the roads are flat and evenly paved? You may not have a big problem. Do you live in a city where the roads look like a bombed out war zone? You are going to hate, hate, hate taking the MY anywhere.

We live in Denmark right now with good roads and no bumpy roads around us at all.

We had the Skoda Enyaq that was quite comfortable and nice but the bad software and lousy service made us sell it.

We are not expecting the Y to be better regarding the noise and comfort but it is more refined we belive :).

Upvote 0
There are so many opinions out there. Some people have no idea of what they are talking about. Some do.

We have 19,000 miles on a Model Y and love it. I can't compare it to a Performance, but we find our car to be very comfortable and would never consider it to be noisy at all. Our MYLR has the double pane front windows.

I find it hard to believe a Performance would be more comfortable ... or quieter.
Glad to hear that! Yes my opinion is the same as how on earth the P could be less noisy and more comfortable. Makes zero sense.

Upvote 0
Hi there!

Consider spending $3000 to $5000 for a coilover suspension from Redwood Motorsports (Ohlins), Mountain Pass Performance, or Unplugged Performance, after you get your car and run it about 1500 miles or more if it seems to bumpy for you.

Reactions: whisperingshad
Upvote 0
Consider spending $3000 to $5000 for a coilover suspension from Redwood Motorsports (Ohlins), Mountain Pass Performance, or Unplugged Performance, after you get your car and run it about 1500 miles or more if it seems to bumpy for you.
From what I've gathered the 2022 damper/spring setup has been re-tuned taking the edge off of it so it's surprisingly more comfy. Thus ixnay on the coilovers.

Upvote 0
I had a 2021 Model Y LR with the 19" wheels. It had the best ride quality of all the Model Y's I rode. The 21" Uber wheels on the P are at the opposite end of the spectrum for comfort. I originally wanted to go with the P over the LR and after about 15 min test ride in the P, my wife hated the ride so much she told me to take the car back to the Tesla store and she wouldn't consider purchasing it at all.

In the end she was happiest with the 19" wheel combo and that is what we bought, and ultimately sold. We replaced it with the Model 3 LR, more efficient, fun to drive and our car seats still fit fine.

If ride quality is one of your key concerns, the 19" wheels are the most compliant and give the best range.

Reactions: laservet
Upvote 0
Take what I say with a huge grain of salt but we took delivery of MY Performance 3 days ago. We only have 148 miles on it but I have been pleasantly surprised by the ride. I was braced for a terrible ride and even told my wife to expect harshness based on what I had read while I procure some 18 or 19’’ wheels to replace them. Opinion may change but I’m okay with them thus far in St Louis MO. We are coming from a 2022 Pilot and 2022 Acura MDX as reference.

Upvote 0
I even told my wife to expect harshness based on what I had read while I procure some 18 or 19’’ wheels to replace them.
Here an example of 18" wheels:

20220604_113554-jpg.812595

Upvote 0
Hi there!

Try to rent them on Turo or other method and compare for yourself as ride comfort is very subjective & varies per person.
I have a 2022 MYP and love it. But, If you want the most comfortable Y. I think MYLR with 19” wheels is safest bet. After 4,500 miles of driving you might notice ride gets more comfy after tires and suspension settle in. That was my experience in a 2022 MYP at least. Later you can swap to 18” wheels with even more sidewall and after that an aftermarket suspension if needed.

Upvote 0
I’ve had my 2022 MYP for 750 miles now and the ride is OK. I came from a. 2018 540i and that was a really smooth ride. After a while you get used to the harsher ride but it’s not bad or as bad as people on this forum make it seem to be. You’re gonna love your MYP. It’s a space ship and it’s so fun to drive. You’re driving the future

Reactions: mangrove79
Upvote 0
I don't know about your area, but test drives can be really hard to get. If lucky they might have just a M3 LR in stock. Last year I could pretty much drive anything but the refreshed S/X, this year they sell the demos as quick as they can to make their numbers.

The low profile tires on the P have a significant impact on ride comfort. If you have very smooth roads, you might not notice it as much, but it is there. The biggest problem with the Y's suspension is it is not very well controlled overall. This article sums up the MYP pretty well.

Reactions: Pianewman
Upvote 0
Sample size of 1 but the few test drives of a 2021 MYLR with 20" Inductions was noticeably more bouncy and unsettled than my 2022 / Michelin Pilot all season equipped MYP. The MYP is by no means a plush ride but all the handwringing and teeth gnashing by people that have one on order and haven't been able to test drive is much ado about nothing IME.

Upvote 0
The MYP is by no means a plush ride but all the handwringing and teeth gnashing by people that have one on order and haven't been able to test drive is much ado about nothing IME.

Yes. It's very easy to sit, second guess, and worry about a car you won't have for months. Don't ask me how I know.

When I ordered ours, we had never even sat in one. We worried excessively about the white interior while we waited for our MYLR. I read endless posts, some with horror stories about stained white seats.

19,000 miles later, the seats are still nice and white. They've actually been easy to keep clean.

A lot of concerns go away when you actually have the car.

Upvote 0

Hilariously I came from a BMW X3 and Porsche Macan to my Mach-E and MYP. I find the Tesla to certainly be "tighter" and perform far more like the German cars while the Mach-E is floaty and almost bouncy sometimes. I quite like my new 2022 MYP's ride. But as stated it's extremely subjective and I can easily see people who want to just have a smooth non-sporty ride thinking the performance feel horrible to them.

Reactions: CaseyL and Corndart
Upvote 0