Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y makes hum noise all the time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the exact issue on my model 3. It’s like putting your head inside a refrigerator, constant buzzing sound.

I was told new firmware would fix the issue during my last visit to a service center. I updated to the latest over the weekend and it’s still there ☹️

Reactions: fablau
I have the exact issue on my model 3. It’s like putting your head inside a refrigerator, constant buzzing sound.

I was told new firmware would fix the issue during my last visit to a service center. I updated to the latest over the weekend and it’s still there ☹️

I am sorry to know that. Unfortunately, I don't think it's a firmware issue, and it's funny they told you the opposite of what they told me, which ist NOT a firmware issue. Well, I think Tesla's technicians need to be more prepared.

So, what do you plan to do now? Please, let us know. Also, have you visited my website (see my signature) for the petition?

Thanks for reporting ;)

Hmmm my 2 week old M3 is making this humming noise all the time even while driving but I also subscribed for TeslaFi last week and that's when I noticed the hum. Could it be that TeslaFi is polling data constantly?

If you have the same problem we are discussing here, it cannot be related to that. I have that problem and I am not subscribed to TeslaFi. Is it possible you didn't notice the noise before that time but in reality, you had it already?

If you have the same problem we are discussing here, it cannot be related to that. I have that problem and I am not subscribed to TeslaFi. Is it possible you didn't notice the noise before that time but in reality, you had it already?
Someone commented that once they take car out of sentry mode the noise stops. I know that sentry mode uses a lot of power, if I leave it on overnight ill lose 3% - 5%. Could it be in a way the car is trying to cool the itself/ecu? Im going to disable TeslFi and ill let you know!

Someone commented that once they take car out of sentry mode the noise stops. I know that sentry mode uses a lot of power, if I leave it on overnight ill lose 3% - 5%. Could it be in a way the car is trying to cool the itself/ecu? Im going to disable TeslFi and ill let you know!

We forgot about that issue with sentry mode because no one could replicate it and prove it as the cause of the problem.

But yes, please try and let us know how it goes ;)

Tesla called me today to ask how is everything with my car, told them im scheduled for the 20th oct, she was very nice to move me to tomorrow, but obviously i don't have any hope of them fixing it... Im just going to push on them taking this seriously and hopefully report it to headquarters that there is an issue... I'll let you guys know tomorrow

Reactions: fablau and K-Fresh
Tesla called me today to ask how is everything with my car, told them im scheduled for the 20th oct, she was very nice to move me to tomorrow, but obviously i don't have any hope of them fixing it... Im just going to push on them taking this seriously and hopefully report it to headquarters that there is an issue... I'll let you guys know tomorrow

Sounds good. Yes, get ready to push them to take it seriously. I had to get upset considerably to have their attention. Please, keep us updated ;) Thanks!

Also, since you have already a quiet Model Y, it'll be much easier for you to push them to take it seriously! Keep us posted ;)

Reactions: ZzzzZ
HI, well just came back from SC. the guy who took a look at it, immediately noticed the sound and even admitted the vibrations in the wheel. I told him about the issue, explained everything we know from this forum and that tesla guys won't fix it, but he was confident enough to say "not here, we'll get it fixed" lol, 2 hours later, the car is fixed! Thats what they tell me lol. I didn't even get my hopes up before getting in to check it out. and Yep , no change whats so ever. same annoying sound, vibration in the steering wheel. I called the guy who worked on it who was pretty cool about all of this, and he said he drained and refilled antifreeze coolant... and he said at least the motor is not reving up and down anymore every second or so, which you can feel in the steering wheel. but thats not true, everything was exactly the same. talked with him a bit more and he now says its the compressor and all cars are a little bit different lol.......!1! I wasn't getting too upset because i can't get too upset for health issues and i knew the outcome, i talked to him for like 5 min stressing that he needs to get tesla notice there is an issue and to report it as serious problem for buyers. He also said you know if something wasn't working they would change the part but since its ONLY a bit of sound...... they won't change parts..... Anyhow, continuing with the sale of the car. Really looking forward to a fix from Korea and what they have to say...

Reactions: pbcsd and fablau
HI, well just came back from SC. the guy who took a look at it, immediately noticed the sound and even admitted the vibrations in the wheel. I told him about the issue, explained everything we know from this forum and that tesla guys won't fix it, but he was confident enough to say "not here, we'll get it fixed" lol, 2 hours later, the car is fixed! Thats what they tell me lol. I didn't even get my hopes up before getting in to check it out. and Yep , no change whats so ever. same annoying sound, vibration in the steering wheel. I called the guy who worked on it who was pretty cool about all of this, and he said he drained and refilled antifreeze coolant... and he said at least the motor is not reving up and down anymore every second or so, which you can feel in the steering wheel. but thats not true, everything was exactly the same. talked with him a bit more and he now says its the compressor and all cars are a little bit different lol.......!1! I wasn't getting too upset because i can't get too upset for health issues and i knew the outcome, i talked to him for like 5 min stressing that he needs to get tesla notice there is an issue and to report it as serious problem for buyers. He also said you know if something wasn't working they would change the part but since its ONLY a bit of sound...... they won't change parts..... Anyhow, continuing with the sale of the car. Really looking forward to a fix from Korea and what they have to say...

Thank you so much for pushing and reporting!

I got the same exact experience. After much insistence on my part (I had to push much more for just checking the pumps for noise!), the technician said "There must be some air inside the system, let's take it out..."... and when he was done, he called me and said "Problem fixed!!" and I asked "Is the noise gone?" and he said "yes!"... I went there, checked the noise, and it was still there. What the heck??!! Do we speak the same language???! Bottom line: Same experience for me as well. Very, very disappointing.

Anyway, yes, let's wait and see what our Korean friend will tell us.

I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks again for reporting!!

UPDATE:

Today I got a call from another service center that was contacted by my local Tesla Owners Club (Orange County), and he told me that he's going to open a new engineering ticket for my case and he'll make sure to keep me posted about it. He also said that they are aware of this issue but at the moment they don't have a fix for it (!!!).

I have no idea where all this will take me, but I'll make sure to keep everyone posted.

One thing is sure: the more people open engineering tickets about this issue, the better. Therefore, anyone who contacted their service center, or it is going to, please, make sure to push to open an engineering ticket about it! It is my understanding that that's the only way to let Tesla headquarters about it! And as I suggested earlier, contact your local Tesla Owners Club, they can help with this a great deal.

As always, I am eager to know your thoughts on all this.

Thanks.

Fab.

UPDATE:

Today I got a call from another service center that was contacted by my local Tesla Owners Club (Orange County), and he told me that he's going to open a new engineering ticket for my case and he'll make sure to keep me posted about it. He also said that they are aware of this issue but at the moment they don't have a fix for it (!!!).

I have no idea where all this will take me, but I'll make sure to keep everyone posted.

One thing is sure: the more people open engineering tickets about this issue, the better. Therefore, anyone who contacted their service center, or it is going to, please, make sure to push to open an engineering ticket about it! It is my understanding that that's the only way to let Tesla headquarters about it! And as I suggested earlier, contact your local Tesla Owners Club, they can help with this a great deal.

As always, I am eager to know your thoughts on all this.

Thanks.

Fab.
You should try and get the ticket number for future reference, if you didn’t already get it.

After reading this thread, I can say I noticed the humming and vibration in my steering wheel while driving when I changed my HVAC from a low temp (~65 degrees) up to high. I took delivery of my MYP VIN 209xxx at the end of June. I do not have bioweapon defense mode like others in this thread.

Could it be something with the heat pump? I'm not too sure what happens when the change in temp occurs.

Got my MYP today. I can confirm that there is an audible hum with the AC powered off. However, the I feel noise level isn't any worse than my ICE car at idle with the engine off with all the engine bay fans going.

However, I feel like the noise is from something different as it is louder on the driver side and not the passenger side. I took some dB readings with an app on my phone - not sure how accurate these are. It didn't bother me enough to reject the car. Then noise does ramp up if the AC turns on, but it is drained out by the AC wind noise anyway. I have also noticed it ramp up for no apparent reason, but still not enough for me to say it is too bothersome.

Driver's side headrest - 30db
Driver's side against the dash - 38 db

Passenger's side headrest - 28 db
Passenger's side against the dash - 32 db

Even though the dBs are higher on the driver's side on the inside of the car, the sound does seem louder in the passenger's side wheel arch compared to the driver's side.

Two videos so you can hear the sound. One is completely dark... my garage light turned off.

Reactions: fablau and ZzzzZ