Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y makes hum noise all the time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After reading this thread, I can say I noticed the humming and vibration in my steering wheel while driving when I changed my HVAC from a low temp (~65 degrees) up to high. I took delivery of my MYP VIN 209xxx at the end of June. I do not have bioweapon defense mode like others in this thread.

Could it be something with the heat pump? I'm not too sure what happens when the change in temp occurs.

Does the noise is present even with A/C off? That's the point of the whole problem. The noise must be there no matter if the A/C is on or off, and never stop unless you leave your car alone for 5-15 minutes.

This problem we are talking about is not the heat pump, it is related to the water pumps of the cooling system. Watch the videos on my site modelyissue.com to learn more about it.

Got my MYP today. I can confirm that there is an audible hum with the AC powered off. However, the I feel noise level isn't any worse than my ICE car at idle with the engine off with all the engine bay fans going.

However, I feel like the noise is from something different as it is louder on the driver side and not the passenger side. I took some dB readings with an app on my phone - not sure how accurate these are. It didn't bother me enough to reject the car. Then noise does ramp up if the AC turns on, but it is drained out by the AC wind noise anyway. I have also noticed it ramp up for no apparent reason, but still not enough for me to say it is too bothersome.

Driver's side headrest - 30db
Driver's side against the dash - 38 db

Passenger's side headrest - 28 db
Passenger's side against the dash - 32 db

Even though the dBs are higher on the driver's side on the inside of the car, the sound does seem louder in the passenger's side wheel arch compared to the driver's side.

Two videos so you can hear the sound. One is completely dark... my garage light turned off.

Thanks for reporting. I am sorry to say you have the same problem, the noise is that one even though your dB levels are not that high (I get higher levels up to 45 dB on the passenger side). And it doesn't matter if you hear it more on the driver side than the passenger side, that depends on how the vibration is transmitted through the front metal structure. In my car, I hear it more on the passenger side, but other people hear it more on the driver's side. You should confirm the fact that from the outside the noise is coming from the front-right of the car (or front-left if you look at your car from the front). If so, that'll confirm you have the same issue caused by the water pumps.

Teslas are supposed to be super quiet when idling and the A/C is off. You should read not more than 30db anywhere in the car and absolutely, it must be completely silent compared to an ICE car off with all fans on.

Are you going to report to your service center? Also, please, visit my site in my signature to sign the petition. Thanks!

UPDATE:

Our friend Chino from South Korea, got back to me with his experience at his local Tesla Service Center, and here is what he said:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Fabrizio,

I went to the service center this Monday and consulted with Tesla advisor.

The Tesla advisor said the noise was normal at first, but it was found that there was a significantly louder noise and a different band sound compared to other cars brought to the service center.

The part takes about two months to arrive from the US to Korea, and an appointment is scheduled for replacement on October 29th.

The advisor said that even the parts to be replaced can make noise, but I think it's good to try.

In addition, the advisor said that there is a high probability that there will be no noise because the stock of parts for repair is managed in a different lot from the stock of parts for production.

I hope you are doing well and I will contact you again after receiving the repair from the service center on October 29th.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess with "Tesla Advisor" he meant "Service Technician", but this is great news!

And even better, look at what part his service center has ordered for him:

Screenshot_20210923-104558_Naver Cafe.jpg

And guess what? The damn coolant (water) pump! They call it "battery coolant pump", at least we know that!

At this point, let's wait and see if that's going to solve the problem. If it does, well, we have something in our hands to tell our Service Centers ;)

Reactions: K-Fresh
Oh... as a side note, I don't know if you have noticed, that part costs 55,000 South Korean wons, which corresponds to about $46 US dollars. Isn't that insane?

So... here is my question: Why the Tesla service in South Korea is ordering replacement parts without problems (from the US, by the way), whereas here in the US our Tesla service centers keep dismissing the problem without willing to help at all? What's the reason behind such a different behavior? The price can't certainly be, so... what??

It's just shameful.

Took mine in today, they said to give it another week and come back if I still think it is an issue……..I won’t give up on this, the sound is gettin louder and more frequent (still running few hours after the car is parked)

Thank you for reporting your experience. And thank you for not giving up! Insist and tell them that overseas (i.e. South Korea) Tesla service centers ordered replacement parts and fixed the problem!

I just contacted my service center about that and just one out of three people I contacted got back to me saying that he will review everything next week.

I'll also keep you posted on my side ;)

Reactions: K-Fresh
I'm right there with you guys. Got a Model 3 LR 9/25. It's my first electric so I wasn't sure, but that noise is very bothersome. When I took out the trash in the middle of the night and noticed it still humming along, I was a bit concerned. What's more, I can see it drains the battery a mile an hour when parked in my garage waiting for the scheduled charge. Leaving that charge port open is the culprit. So here I am thinking that scheduled charges save energy costs, but notice it drains itself throughout the night until the scheduled time. Going to monitor it for another week then take her in and see what they say.

Reactions: fablau and K-Fresh
Hello, I got my MY delivery on Thursday, 9/30 and ever since I am hearing this humming sound after I parked the car in the garage. I cant say if the sound continues while I am driving but definitely always there when parked. very annoying indeed.
I tried scheduling an appointment thru TSLA App but it only allows one service appointment now. I had scheduled another service appointment (for 10/18) to report some of the scratches and chirps in the rear bumper and a bit of rattling sound coming from front passenger side mirror.

Planning to call this # tomorrow AM 1 (888) 518-3752

Reactions: fablau
I'm right there with you guys. Got a Model 3 LR 9/25. It's my first electric so I wasn't sure, but that noise is very bothersome. When I took out the trash in the middle of the night and noticed it still humming along, I was a bit concerned. What's more, I can see it drains the battery a mile an hour when parked in my garage waiting for the scheduled charge. Leaving that charge port open is the culprit. So here I am thinking that scheduled charges save energy costs, but notice it drains itself throughout the night until the scheduled time. Going to monitor it for another week then take her in and see what they say.

I am sorry for your new Model 3, and thank you for reporting here.

It's so incredible that you have such drainage of the battery. Curious to see what they say about it. Please, keep us posted with your Tesla service response and make sure to sign the petition on modelyissue.com.

Hello, I got my MY delivery on Thursday, 9/30 and ever since I am hearing this humming sound after I parked the car in the garage. I cant say if the sound continues while I am driving but definitely always there when parked. very annoying indeed.
I tried scheduling an appointment thru TSLA App but it only allows one service appointment now. I had scheduled another service appointment (for 10/18) to report some of the scratches and chirps in the rear bumper and a bit of rattling sound coming from front passenger side mirror.

Planning to call this # tomorrow AM 1 (888) 518-3752

So sorry for your car as well! Please, keep us posted with your service appointment.

UPDATE:

Well, well, I have big news for you guys... Today I got a call from my Tesla Service and they told me that they just ordered new replacement pumps for my car! I couldn't believe my ears! I don't know what happened exactly, but it looks like my insistences and pushes have paid off!

The technician I talked with, is the same good guy I dealt with for the past 3 months. He is the only one who listened to me and sincerely said "There is nothing I can do about it right now but filing an engineering ticket for you". And it is the same guy (among other two persons at Tesla) I sent my message to last Friday telling the story of South Korea where people could fix the problem with a pump replacement. My timing couldn't be more perfect! It looks like Tesla gave them the authorization to order replacements pumps for me. He also told me that they should arrive in less than 2 weeks, and as soon as they are ready, they'll call me for an appointment.

At this point, I can't wait to see if that's going to fix the problem. And I really hope so.

Bottom line: If I could do it, you guys can do it as well. Please, ask your service centers to order replacement parts. And if they say they can't, ask to open an "engineering ticket" on the issue. From what I have learned, that's the first step of the whole process.

At least, you all have now a precedent here we can refer to ;)

And I'll make sure to keep you posted!

I have the same experience. I have a 2018 Model 3 RWD LR. That car is completely silent. Recently took delivery of my 2021 model Y. It has a constant hum even when AC is off. I understand that's the heatpump regulating temperature for the entire car. I find that a bit too noticeable.

Another thing I notice is a high pitch motor noise whine at speed above 50mph. This is the same high pitch whining sound that only happens during hard acceleration in my model 3. For the model Y, this high pitch sound happens during content speed with no acceleration. The sound is not that loud. But you cannot unhear it once you know it's there. I think that's the sound from the front motor. Perhaps I don't notice that in my M3 because that's a RWD.

My model y alao same problem.
I got a model y at 09/27/2021

I hear the buzzing nose what ever driving or parking. It is too much louder and make headache.

So I went to the Tesla service center. And I asked Tasla Technicians to help me compare with other Model Y released around the same time.

Technician confirms that my model y buzing noise is more louder than other vehicles.

But she said that the noise level is within the normal range, so it's normal.

So I said that I couldn't agree, but She sad that the noise level is slightly different for each vehicle. She just said I was very unlucky so you get this car.

And she said she couldn't help me. So immediately made a reservation at another service center. .

I have the same experience. I have a 2018 Model 3 RWD LR. That car is completely silent. Recently took delivery of my 2021 model Y. It has a constant hum even when AC is off. I understand that's the heatpump regulating temperature for the entire car. I find that a bit too noticeable.

Another thing I notice is a high pitch motor noise whine at speed above 50mph. This is the same high pitch whining sound that only happens during hard acceleration in my model 3. For the model Y, this high pitch sound happens during content speed with no acceleration. The sound is not that loud. But you cannot unhear it once you know it's there. I think that's the sound from the front motor. Perhaps I don't notice that in my M3 because that's a RWD.

I am sorry about that and thank you for reporting. The noise is not coming from the heat pump, it is from the water pumps. You can learn more about it on my site modelyissue.com.

The other noise you are talking about is absolutely normal and it is coming from the front motor. I have also a 2019 Model 3 RWD and don't have that noise. But it doesn't even have the water pumps making that damn noise! That's not normal and Tesla must fix it.

My model y alao same problem.
I got a model y at 09/27/2021

I hear the buzzing nose what ever driving or parking. It is too much louder and make headache.

So I went to the Tesla service center. And I asked Tasla Technicians to help me compare with other Model Y released around the same time.

Technician confirms that my model y buzing noise is more louder than other vehicles.

But she said that the noise level is within the normal range, so it's normal.

So I said that I couldn't agree, but She sad that the noise level is slightly different for each vehicle. She just said I was very unlucky so you get this car.

And she said she couldn't help me. So immediately made a reservation at another service center. .

I am sorry about your Model Y as well. That noise is NOT normal and Tesla should stop saying that. Having the noise of a lawnmower running all the time, even when the car is parked, is not normal. Tell them how are you supposed to sleep in your car if you want to with camp mode? Or even just take a nap or a rest? Impossible with that damn noise running all the time.

Please, keep us posted with your second service center, and please, tell them that you want to open an engineering ticket about it. That'll open an investigation into the issue and it'll be officially filed at Tesla. The more people complain and opened engineering tickets about this problem, the more chances we have that Tesla is taking it seriously.

Also, as you may have read in my post above, my service center has ordered replacement water pumps for my Model Y after my tedious insistence. Hopefully, that'll fix the problem, unless either the new pumps have the same problem or the problem relies somewhere else. It is anyway crazy that all these technicians and engineers at Tesla can't figure out what's causing this problem and/or they are completely unaware of it. Saying that's within the "normal range" is outrageous and highly offensive for all of us who spent $$$ of dollars for top-quality electric cars, that are supposed to be quiet. Anyone who has driven a Tesla before (me included) knows how silent they must be!

UPDATE:

Well, well, I have big news for you guys... Today I got a call from my Tesla Service and they told me that they just ordered new replacement pumps for my car! I couldn't believe my ears! I don't know what happened exactly, but it looks like my insistences and pushes have paid off!

The technician I talked with, is the same good guy I dealt with for the past 3 months. He is the only one who listened to me and sincerely said "There is nothing I can do about it right now but filing an engineering ticket for you". And it is the same guy (among other two persons at Tesla) I sent my message to last Friday telling the story of South Korea where people could fix the problem with a pump replacement. My timing couldn't be more perfect! It looks like Tesla gave them the authorization to order replacements pumps for me. He also told me that they should arrive in less than 2 weeks, and as soon as they are ready, they'll call me for an appointment.

At this point, I can't wait to see if that's going to fix the problem. And I really hope so.

Bottom line: If I could do it, you guys can do it as well. Please, ask your service centers to order replacement parts. And if they say they can't, ask to open an "engineering ticket" on the issue. From what I have learned, that's the first step of the whole process.

At least, you all have now a precedent here we can refer to ;)

And I'll make sure to keep you posted!
I’m hoping this resolves the noise issue your having. I have a 2020 model 3 and it doesn’t make this noise. I ordered a model Y in July and I’m hoping it doesn’t make this noise when it finally arrives. The one I test drove in July was completely quiet. That was the first thing I noticed and was impressed how much quieter it was. I’m looking forward to your resolution.

Reactions: K-Fresh and fablau