Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y makes hum noise all the time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Too bad! I am sorry about that Stevein, having a Performance with this problem sucks indeed! Do you plan to call your nearest Tesla service about it? Please, let us know.

Thank you for reporting!
I’m scheduled to bring my car in on Nov 1st to fix other small issues and have also left a note telling them that the humming coming from the coolant pump is quite loud and told them that my Model 3 did not have this issue.

Reactions: fablau
UPDATE:

Tomorrow I'll take my Model Y to the service for the water pump replacement. It'll take a couple of days for the job to be completed. I'll keep my finger crossed hoping that'll actually fix the problem.

Now, I am thinking of a "plan B" in case those pumps will still make noise. I can either ask for further research into the issue, but I am not sure if that'll bring me anywhere. And certainly, I can get upset again and push the technicians to do their job properly: figure out what's causing the problem and fix it once for all! But I realize... isn't that what I have been doing already for the past 3-4 months?

I think that what'd really help is to have someone with a quiet Model Y taking a picture of their water pumps to verify if those have any different numbers printed on them. So, if someone with a quiet Model Y is reading this, please, help me to verify that.

And if you have any further ideas about what my plan B could look like, please, let me know. Of course, I still have a petition building up at modelyissue.com, and that'll be my last card to play.

Thanks!

its quite acceptable that while you are starting out as a company, you dont have a collection of service centers already set and ready to go. so in the first few years, I would have given tesla a lot of slack and breaks.

but now? really? they have had enough time to build up the service infra and standardize on parts. and they choose to make it hard for customers to dialog with them. its an avoidance strategy and it will wear thin, trust me on that ;)

this model is broken by design and wont last long-term. time will tell, but I doubt we'll see the other vendors convert to this from their existing model. the new guys will follow this model at first (due to startup limitations) but the smart ones will not hide behind an app, afraid to even interact with THE CUSTOMERS.
I think it's fair to point out that the OP has been working with Tesla service on this issue, and they got involved several times with him, so no one ignored him. The issue is that they believe it ISN'T an issue, while OP believe it is. You could have the same problem with ANY car company when you have something that you believe is an issue, and they don't. I'm not saying OP doesn't have a real issue here, nor am I jumping to Tesla's defense regarding their customer service. Just noting that the OP went through the process, got responses from service and they made a determination, rightly or wrongly.

I think it's fair to point out that the OP has been working with Tesla service on this issue, and they got involved several times with him, so no one ignored him. The issue is that they believe it ISN'T an issue, while OP believe it is. You could have the same problem with ANY car company when you have something that you believe is an issue, and they don't. I'm not saying OP doesn't have a real issue here, nor am I jumping to Tesla's defense regarding their customer service. Just noting that the OP went through the process, got responses from service and they made a determination, rightly or wrongly.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is "OP"?

Thank you for clarifying guys. Well, the fact is, this noise is a real problem. Imagine driving with a continuous humming noise like a lawnmower running all the time in front of your car. Do you think to be able to enjoy soft jazz music with that noise? Do you think to be able to drive 5-8 hours in your car with that noise without becoming mad? Do you think to be able to take a nap in your car with that noise? Do you think to be able to sleep in your car in "camp mode" with that noise? Nope, nope, nope, nope.

If that's not a problem, what else can be?

I always thought the humming came from my carbon fiber mirror caps! The sound on highway is super annoying.

Make sure you have the same exact problem we are discussing here before taking any action, that'll avoid a lot of headaches! (my personal advice...)

Noises inside your car can be caused by several things. Make sure to watch my video at modelyissue.com to understand exactly what's causing this noise and how it behaves.

Reactions: ZzzzZ
Hi, I’m about to take delivery of a MYLR and have been reading your thread. I’m concerned I will find this issue. I also know it will drive me absolutely nuts. I’m excited to hear what happens later this week. I appreciate all the work you’ve put into this.

Hi, I’m about to take delivery of a MYLR and have been reading your thread. I’m concerned I will find this issue. I also know it will drive me absolutely nuts. I’m excited to hear what happens later this week. I appreciate all the work you’ve put into this.

Thank you! I really hope your new Model Y will be quiet. A friend of mine just got his new Model Y and it is completely quiet. Please, report and let us know about yours as soon as it comes. My hope is that soon all newly produced cars will be quiet again.

Reactions: Everlast
Here I am with some (bad) news. Not from me, but from one of the people that signed the petition on modelyissue.com. She had the same exact problem we all are discussing here, and after a lot of fights with her service center (as we all had!), she could have her service center replacing her car water pumps.

Unfortunately, she wrote me this morning that despite the replacement of the pumps, the problem is still there. And still, the technicians have no idea what's causing it. This is very, very disappointing and shameful. To her extreme disappointment, she told her service center that she wouldn't take her car back unless it was fixed, no matter what. Tesla service acknowledged the problem and her decision, and so opened a new engineering ticket on the issue with the hope of sorting something out.

This is what I am afraid of going through in a few days. If my own pumps replacement is not going to fix the issue as well, what am I going to do? I'd probably go through the same route, asking for a resolution of some kind. But will that take us anywhere??!!

I am sorry for the bad news, but I am eager to know your thoughts on all this.