Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y makes hum noise all the time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can

We not all tweet Elon and bring this to his attention? I'm picking up my vehicle this Monday. If there is a sound in it I may have to reject it but may not as interest rates have dramatically increased already and if I don't take delivery It will expire.

I tried that for a couple of months, tweeting him 3-4 times a day. Nothing. It's hard to catch his attention. Of course, you have more chances to catch him when he posts and then you reply to him right away, but that's almost impossible unless you are ready to reply to him all the time.

Isn't it ridiculous that to solve this problem we have to "catch" Elon's attention? It's insane. If only Tesla had a "claims" department (a working one though), that'd be the correct way to address these issues. But it is not the case. We are left at the mercy of the service centers, and we all know how this is handled over there... badly, very badly.

But of course, we should get organized and "bombard" Elon with tweets. How can we organize this? Thoughts?

Reactions: ZzzzZ
What i don't understand is why SC don't make a big deal about it and really report it to people that can deal with it, and why tesla can't make a real change back to the way cars were made.... Its so friggen annoying. Like in ICE car if the car is off, its makes no noise, but with this car, if you just have to sit in a car and wait for your kid somewhere, you're constantly listening to the damn whining/humming noise. Unless they really have the part shortage and they have no choice but to use inferior parts... If this continues and there is a lack of attention to quality, people are eventually going to go with other brands... the only reason why tesla right now is on the top is that there is no competition. Once there are similar vehicles, people will go with better quality. I myself absolutely love everything about my first model y.. EVERYTHING.... but at this point, i have placed a rivian r1s order, as the annoying sound is pretty much a deal-breaker, and really hope they are silent.

Reactions: K-Fresh and fablau
What i don't understand is why SC don't make a big deal about it and really report it to people that can deal with it, and why tesla can't make a real change back to the way cars were made.... Its so friggen annoying. Like in ICE car if the car is off, its makes no noise, but with this car, if you just have to sit in a car and wait for your kid somewhere, you're constantly listening to the damn whining/humming noise. Unless they really have the part shortage and they have no choice but to use inferior parts... If this continues and there is a lack of attention to quality, people are eventually going to go with other brands... the only reason why tesla right now is on the top is that there is no competition. Once there are similar vehicles, people will go with better quality. I myself absolutely love everything about my first model y.. EVERYTHING.... but at this point, i have placed a rivian r1s order, as the annoying sound is pretty much a deal-breaker, and really hope they are silent.

I agree with you 100%. Fact is, if the problem is caused by part shortages and Tesla is aware of that, they should do either the following:

1. Advise their customers of the problem (by acknowledging it) and telling them that as soon as the non-defective parts are back, they'll fix it. All this BEFORE delivery!

OR

2. Offer their cars discounted (at a lower price)

Of course, none of the above has been done. Instead, they keep denying the problem and pretend it doesn't even exist.

As you said, all this may work until there is no real competition. But even without competition, they have already lost a lot of people because of this and similar stupid issues. Again, it's just shameful.

I agree with you 100%. Fact is, if the problem is caused by part shortages and Tesla is aware of that, they should do either the following:

1. Advise their customers of the problem (by acknowledging it) and telling them that as soon as the non-defective parts are back, they'll fix it. All this BEFORE delivery!

OR

2. Offer their cars discounted (at a lower price)

Of course, none of the above has been done. Instead, they keep denying the problem and pretend it doesn't even exist.

As you said, all this may work until there is no real competition. But even without competition, they have already lost a lot of people because of this and similar stupid issues. Again, it's just shameful.
Have you looked at California’s lemon law? I know Tesla requires mediation in some states, where I live it is optional, and if you’ve been dealing with this since July you’d possibly be eligible to pursue a claim depending on how many attempts you’ve made to have Tesla fix the issue and the number of days you’ve had the car in for service.

Have you looked at California’s lemon law? I know Tesla requires mediation in some states, where I live it is optional, and if you’ve been dealing with this since July you’d possibly be eligible to pursue a claim depending on how many attempts you’ve made to have Tesla fix the issue and the number of days you’ve had the car in for service.

Yes, I have looked into that and I have considered it. Not sure if I want to proceed with that though at the current moment. The noise has been quietly reduced since the water pumps have been replaced, and if winning a Lemon Law case means to have a new car, what if the new car has still the same problem? And when it'll reach me? The waiting time now is months from now... not sure if it is worth it for me right now.

i asked the sales person, or whoever was taking care of delivery to get in in the car and listen to the noise, he says it doesn't bother him..... and he doesn't notice it.... This sux, it means all teslas now are noisy....................wow... competition cant come soon enough.....
Except mine isn’t, and thousands of others haven’t reported this either.

Lucky you! But let's not forget that many people may be affected by this problem and not even realize it. Many folks coming from ICE cars could not even realize they have such a problem so as anyone else that has never previously driven an EV or a quiet Tesla.
Wasn’t being demeaning to you or anyone suffering from this issue, just pointing out that making blanket statements like ‘all Teslas are now noisy’ just isn’t correct.

Reactions: AlexHung
3 brand new models y's that i got into on 11/19 had the noise.............. if you didn't follow i have 2 model ys currently, one of them is pretty much silent and the other one isn't, and all 3 new ones i saw 11/19 had the noise.... And also agree with fablau, people coming from ice don't know that these cars can possibly be almost fully silent, where perhaps you could enjoy yourself in camping mode or sitting in the car, but in my situation, its really really and i mean REALLY annoying sound.

Wasn’t being demeaning to you or anyone suffering from this issue, just pointing out that making blanket statements like ‘all Teslas are now noisy’ just isn’t correct.
Actually its not @fablau who is making blanket statement, its Tesla itself. I went to three different service centers with the noise problem and all of them said the same thing:

- The noise in my car is normal
- After I asked to compare with a prior year Model 3, they said they were quiet but all the 2021 are fitted with more advanced heat pump which will make noise
- When I said that some 2021 Model 3 are quiet like 2019 models, they said its not possible.

Now if they really agree to diagnose the problem they can compare a quiet car like yours with mine. If both of them have their advanced heat pump then how can one be noisy and one quiet?

Reactions: fablau
Actually its not @fablau who is making blanket statement, its Tesla itself. I went to three different service centers with the noise problem and all of them said the same thing:

- The noise in my car is normal
- After I asked to compare with a prior year Model 3, they said they were quiet but all the 2021 are fitted with more advanced heat pump which will make noise
- When I said that some 2021 Model 3 are quiet like 2019 models, they said its not possible.

Now if they really agree to diagnose the problem they can compare a quiet car like yours with mine. If both of them have their advanced heat pump then how can one be noisy and one quiet?
I never said he was. If you read my post #346, I clearly note who is making blanket statements.

I never said he was. If you read my post #346, I clearly note who is making blanket statements.

Of course, we all know that it is a problem affecting the latest produced cars in a "random" fashion, but when someone like @ZzzzZ goes to pick up his new Model Y and he's presented with 3 cars having the same problem, plus Tesla itself saying that the noise is "normal", it becomes logical to assume that all new cars have the damn problem.

@DanDi58 When did you get your Model Y?

Of course, we all know that it is a problem affecting the latest produced cars in a "random" fashion, but when someone like @ZzzzZ goes to pick up his new Model Y and he's presented with 3 cars having the same problem, plus Tesla itself saying that the noise is "normal", it becomes logical to assume that all new cars have the damn problem.

@DanDi58 When did you get your Model Y?
As noted in my signature, March 6, 2021.

I'm not going to argue any longer my point about making generalizations about ALL Teslas from a sample size of a few. It's too tedious. And this isn't the first time Tesla has tried to avoid what may be an issue by saying it's within spec. But I do hope you and others get some satisfaction.

Reactions: K-Fresh
As noted in my signature, March 6, 2021.

I'm not going to argue any longer my point about making generalizations about ALL Teslas from a sample size of a few. It's too tedious. And this isn't the first time Tesla has tried to avoid what may be an issue by saying it's within spec. But I do hope you and others get some satisfaction.

Your Model Y is still an "early one". According to our experience here, only cars delivered after May/June may be affected by this problem.

Just picked up my model Y LR today Vin 314xxx. Aside from panel gaps, hood misalignment and damage to interior trim I am reporting unfortunately that I have this humming noise also. I was hoping to avoid this but there was a slight hum when I was inspecting it and the agent stated that that is normal and that the techs are saying it is normal also. I unfortunately just accepted it and did not reject it as my credit application will expire and rates have gone up here in Canada and there is no way of contending with it. Upon my drive home I discovered more issues such hearing the road noise as if a window was slightly open. I've put in a request to have these issues looked at so we'll see where we'll go. After a few hours of leaving the car alone, the humming went away. It only reactivated when I work the car up from sleep to charge it. So it might be a good sign?

Just picked up my model Y LR today Vin 314xxx. Aside from panel gaps, hood misalignment and damage to interior trim I am reporting unfortunately that I have this humming noise also. I was hoping to avoid this but there was a slight hum when I was inspecting it and the agent stated that that is normal and that the techs are saying it is normal also. I unfortunately just accepted it and did not reject it as my credit application will expire and rates have gone up here in Canada and there is no way of contending with it. Upon my drive home I discovered more issues such hearing the road noise as if a window was slightly open. I've put in a request to have these issues looked at so we'll see where we'll go. After a few hours of leaving the car alone, the humming went away. It only reactivated when I work the car up from sleep to charge it. So it might be a good sign?

That's the same behavior of the noise we are complaining about in this discussion. I am sorry, but it looks like you got it as well. Please, keep us posted with your service appointement.

Took a while to read through the thread but wanted to report I hear the same annoying loud humming noise when test driving a model Y LR about 2 weeks ago in Alhambra, CA, coming from a model 3 I knew the noise was not normal so I tried to turned off the AC to make sure it wasn't the AC that's making the sound. The sound didn't stopped so I reported it to the sale person on site and she said she will have the service team check it out. Now that I read more on this thread I started to worry my model Y order may have this issue as well....

Took a while to read through the thread but wanted to report I hear the same annoying loud humming noise when test driving a model Y LR about 2 weeks ago in Alhambra, CA, coming from a model 3 I knew the noise was not normal so I tried to turned off the AC to make sure it wasn't the AC that's making the sound. The sound didn't stopped so I reported it to the sale person on site and she said she will have the service team check it out. Now that I read more on this thread I started to worry my model Y order may have this issue as well....
I’m still a few weeks out from delivery. Now you can keep me company. 😆

Just put out the positive vibes and hope for the best!