Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y makes hum noise all the time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's the same behavior of the noise we are complaining about in this discussion. I am sorry, but it looks like you got it as well. Please, keep us posted with your service appointement.
Yes definitely will be keeping everyone notified. I doubt they'll do anything. We are insignificant at the moment. The hum is annoying because if I'm just sitting in the car doing playing around with the settings I can hear this ridiculous loud hum. So sad.

Hi, picked up MYP vin 325xxx, almost no noise from the front. Such a relief, So far i hear more whining noise from the motors in the back, im hoping its going to break in...

Awesome News! I am so happy for you, that's great. You deserve a quiet Model Y, finally!

Just one question: when you say "almost no noise" does it mean that there is still "some noise" compared to your other, really quiet Model Y?

Awesome News! I am so happy for you, that's great. You deserve a quiet Model Y, finally!

Just one question: when you say "almost no noise" does it mean that there is still "some noise" compared to your other, really quiet Model Y?

Ok, so when all fans are off, its as quiet as my very quiet MY LR, when I turn any heat on, DB meter has same or actually quieter sound output from my new MYP but to my ears I hear a little bit of that noise that we have in our cars with noise where in my original MY LR the pump sound doesn't exist ever running air conditioning/heat no matter what, but again with this MYP the pump sound is there with heat on, but not as much for sure..... I haven't driven it much yet but will report back. My wife immediately told me as well, this is a much quieter car. I am finally happy, overall... there were small issues with car but i can live with it.... (rear lights are sticking out more then any of the cars i've seen before, im thinking of reseating them myself.)

Reactions: Mengy and fablau
Ok, so when all fans are off, its as quiet as my very quiet MY LR, when I turn any heat on, DB meter has same or actually quieter sound output from my new MYP but to my ears I hear a little bit of that noise that we have in our cars with noise where in my original MY LR the pump sound doesn't exist ever running air conditioning/heat no matter what, but again with this MYP the pump sound is there with heat on, but not as much for sure..... I haven't driven it much yet but will report back. My wife immediately told me as well, this is a much quieter car. I am finally happy, overall... there were small issues with car but i can live with it.... (rear lights are sticking out more then any of the cars i've seen before, im thinking of reseating them myself.)

That's awesome! I am happy for you!

Me too. Not that loud, so I haven't worried about it.

I had my pressure sensors proactively replaced a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure if the noise was there before or not.

May want to update the thread title, "I" is a bit ambiguous. 😀

So if you are picking up a new Model Y, what is the best way to test to see if you have this issue before you take ownership? Is it possible this issue would take place after a few days?

Just go inside the car, close all doors and windows, make sure the A/C is off and check for a continuous humming sound coming from the front-right of the dashboard. Of course, you'll need to have enough quietness around you to hear it.

Just go inside the car, close all doors and windows, make sure the A/C is off and check for a continuous humming sound coming from the front-right of the dashboard. Of course, you'll need to have enough quietness around you to hear it.

I will be picking up my MYP in January in Colorado, so the temp might be around 32 degrees - do feel that would make a difference?

Maybe take a look here and see if it's similar...... Lots of other threads about noise, many of which are just normal for the car.

The noise I have, and don't care much about, lasts about 2 seconds and happens (or is heard) only when sitting still with the heat (and maybe the AC) on. It is a fairly striking noise.

I suspect it was impacted by a SW update or the pressure sensor replacement. I think I would have noticed it before.