Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y makes hum noise all the time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UPDATE:

Today finally I took my car to the nearby Tesla service, and I must say, I had a terrible experience. Without going too much into details, at first, they tried to dismiss my case right away saying that the technicians checked the car remotely already, and they found nothing wrong with it. As a natural reaction, I got upset, and asked them to check the car again, so that they could hear the noise I was talking about (they couldn't check that remotely, couldn't they??). So, they checked the car again, and after 30 minutes, they still dismissed the problem saying that "according to their tests, everything was working properly".... but the truth is that while I was waiting, there was another Model Y parked outside that another Tesla employee was using for test drives, and guess what? The noise wasn't there. At all. That other Model Y didn't have my problem. I went inside and it was completely silent.

So, when the technicians tried to dismiss my case for the second time, I insisted on the fact that the noise was not normal. How could they explain otherwise that the other Model Y didn't make any noises? Well... their explanation was this: Because my car was driven for 30 minutes before whereas the other car was sitting there doing nothing the whole morning, forgetting that I already told them 10 times that my car makes that noise even if you keep it parked for one entire week.

To make it short, in the end, they agreed to let me bring the car again on Tuesday in order to keep it overnight (or all the time needed) to make all due tests and checks. But I can tell you, I had to fight for all this, and I didn't like it. Some of the technicians offended my own personal knowledge without knowing that I am a software and electronic engineer, and as soon as I told him that, they stopped saying, at least, the most non-sense stuff. And the biggest joke of all: they had another Model Y, right there to compare my car with, and they didn't even do it because they "assumed" the noise was normal because of the hot batteries to cool down. What a disappointment...

On a side note, a few days ago, I opened the frunk and removed the top cover to understand exactly where this noise is coming from, and to my surprise, is NOT coming from the heat pump. It is coming from another device or component on the bottom-left side of the frunk (looking at the car from the front). So, my personal guess is that there is some device or component that is defective and makes that noise. But certainly, according to Tesla's technicians, that's not possible because their "diagnostics didn't report any issues". How laughable is that? Any basic engineer (or even just a minimal intelligent person) knows that diagnostics doesn't mean anything. Their so "reliable diagnostics" is based on "sensors" targeting a limited number of variables (mostly temperature), and unless you have sensors placed every single millimeter of a device targeting all kinds of variables, that cannot be used as the sole way of diagnosing issues. Bottom line: my car makes a noise that shouldn't make.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted on this issue as soon as I learn anything new next week. Thanks for watching!

Yeah I agree. Ford and the big 3 are going to eat Tesla for lunch soon if they dont lose the bullshit holyer than tho service center rhetoric. When my Durango R/T needed service I could call the local Dodge dealer and get in there in a day or 2, and was given a loaner free. The place smelled like farts and gym socks, but even they had vastly better service than Tesla. This is 1 area they better get a handle on quick. The big 3 are catching Tesla and once they do their immensely more powerful dealer network will turn the ship upside down.

Reactions: fablau
Yeah I agree. Ford and the big 3 are going to eat Tesla for lunch soon if they dont lose the bullshit holyer than tho service center rhetoric. When my Durango R/T needed service I could call the local Dodge dealer and get in there in a day or 2, and was given a loaner free. The place smelled like farts and gym socks, but even they had vastly better service than Tesla. This is 1 area they better get a handle on quick. The big 3 are catching Tesla and once they do their immensely more powerful dealer network will turn the ship upside down.

Agreed. I have owned Teslas since 2016 and the service has been bad 95% of the time. They should really focus more on that.

The mach e is an insanely good first shot and it’s only going to get better. There is also a Ford dealer on every corner. I know the c/d article was hyped but they are getting close. The Tesla fanboy YouTube vids aren’t going to keep them ahead much longer. Why not just take care of the douche service center attitude problem? This should be a simple fix for Tesla and they better handle it before the next round of competitor cars launches ..

Wow, what a story. Good of you to further investigate the noise yourself. You may fix it yourself. Just send Tesla the labor bill.

Good idea! :)

Let's just say that's pretty shameful that I buy a new $60,000 car and I have to deal with all this now. But hey, I still love Tesla and I always will. I haven't used a gas pump for the past 7 years, and I don't plan to ever use it again ;)

UPDATE:

Today finally I took my car to the nearby Tesla service, and I must say, I had a terrible experience. Without going too much into details, at first, they tried to dismiss my case right away saying that the technicians checked the car remotely already, and they found nothing wrong with it. As a natural reaction, I got upset, and asked them to check the car again, so that they could hear the noise I was talking about (they couldn't check that remotely, couldn't they??). So, they checked the car again, and after 30 minutes, they still dismissed the problem saying that "according to their tests, everything was working properly".... but the truth is that while I was waiting, there was another Model Y parked outside that another Tesla employee was using for test drives, and guess what? The noise wasn't there. At all. That other Model Y didn't have my problem. I went inside and it was completely silent.

So, when the technicians tried to dismiss my case for the second time, I insisted on the fact that the noise was not normal. How could they explain otherwise that the other Model Y didn't make any noises? Well... their explanation was this: Because my car was driven for 30 minutes before whereas the other car was sitting there doing nothing the whole morning, forgetting that I already told them 10 times that my car makes that noise even if you keep it parked for one entire week.

To make it short, in the end, they agreed to let me bring the car again on Tuesday in order to keep it overnight (or all the time needed) to make all due tests and checks. But I can tell you, I had to fight for all this, and I didn't like it. Some of the technicians offended my own personal knowledge without knowing that I am a software and electronic engineer, and as soon as I told him that, they stopped saying, at least, the most non-sense stuff. And the biggest joke of all: they had another Model Y, right there to compare my car with, and they didn't even do it because they "assumed" the noise was normal because of the hot batteries to cool down. What a disappointment...

On a side note, a few days ago, I opened the frunk and removed the top cover to understand exactly where this noise is coming from, and to my surprise, is NOT coming from the heat pump. It is coming from another device or component on the bottom-left side of the frunk (looking at the car from the front). So, my personal guess is that there is some device or component that is defective and makes that noise. But certainly, according to Tesla's technicians, that's not possible because their "diagnostics didn't report any issues". How laughable is that? Any basic engineer (or even just a minimal intelligent person) knows that diagnostics doesn't mean anything. Their so "reliable diagnostics" is based on "sensors" targeting a limited number of variables (mostly temperature), and unless you have sensors placed every single millimeter of a device targeting all kinds of variables, that cannot be used as the sole way of diagnosing issues. Bottom line: my car makes a noise that shouldn't make.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted on this issue as soon as I learn anything new next week. Thanks for watching!
Did you happen to take a picture of the component that is making the noise?

I purchased a model Y last year, my other car is a BMW, and I have had two service requirements since I purchased and so far the service has been excellent, although I miss the bring your car in at 7 AM from BMW and help you're self to the free coffee and our internet (lol) and we can try to figure out how much we can soak you for!! My Tesla service so far has been excellent, the OTA diagnosis and updates are a treat . There are lots of benefits to owning a Tesla but not having to bring the car in and deal with the dealerships is one of the biggest benefits I love so far.

Reactions: fablau and AlexHung
I purchased a model Y last year, my other car is a BMW, and I have had two service requirements since I purchased and so far the service has been excellent, although I miss the bring your car in at 7 AM from BMW and help you're self to the free coffee and our internet (lol) and we can try to figure out how much we can soak you for!! My Tesla service so far has been excellent, the OTA diagnosis and updates are a treat . There are lots of benefits to owning a Tesla but not having to bring the car in and deal with the dealerships is one of the biggest benefits I love so far.

I am glad to know that, I love Tesla and I want it to succeed!

Ok guys, I made a video for you:

I think the problem is coming from a component of the octovalve (cooling) system, as you can see from this video:

The noise is coming right from one of those valves (motors, or pumps?) (or, at least, it seems like!). Have a look at the attached shot taken from that video, I have circled in red the section where the noise is coming from:

Valves.png

I'll make further research and report, but if you have any more info about those components, please, let me know!

Thanks.

Fab.

Ok, I think I got it, those seem to be "water pumps" (as I guessed), look at this article:

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page you'll see the same exact picture with some description about it. I think one of those pumps is making a noise that shouldn't make. Even though the Tesla service said that the cooling system is ok and works fine, the noise is there and something defective is causing it.

Thoughts welcome!

UPDATE:

Hello guys, I am back with an update about the whole thing.

As soon as I posted the YouTube video above, I sent it to the Tesla service, so that the technicians could have a look at it. They told me that they would have watched it (but they didn't... keep reading....)

On Tuesday I brought my Model Y to the service as planned. The day after, I was told that they performed all the needed checks and inspections and everything was working correctly and as expected (according to them), and that I could go to pick my car up.

Here are the exact words my contact-person at the service texted me:

"I just got with my lead master technician that personally inspected your model y. this is his synopsis: Performed noise vibration and harshness inspection of the HVAC system. Found the customer is hearing the heatpump during operation. Performed inspection of the heatpump, octovalve, and supermanifold including lines. Confirmed all hardware is not damaged or leaking, Confirmed no lines are touching the body causing resonance. Confirmed charge level of the refrigerant system is full. Currently the vehicle is operating as designed. Hardware replacement is not recommened at this time.

Obviously, I was pretty upset by the outcome. So, I went to the service and asked to talk to the technician who took care of my car. Then I talked to him, and he told me that he inspected the heat pump and found nothing wrong with it. And so, I asked: "Did you also check the water pumps? Because that's where the noise is coming from"... to my surprise, he replied, "Well, no. We haven't checked those.". And I said "But I sent you a video where I showed you where the noise was coming from! Did you watched it?"... "No".... and I asked "But didn't you inspect the whole octovalve system?" and he replied "Yes, but just visually".... (I thought: Is this a joke????!!! )

The fact is, despite I have repeated more and more times that the problem was a "noise" problem, they performed just a "visual inspection" of the heat pump, but not a "noise" inspection.

So, after my given information, he inspected the water pumps. After a quick inspection, he thought that the noise was due to some air trapped inside the cooling system lines. And he proposed to vacuum the lines to remove any possible air inside. I agreed on that possibility, so, I left, and after a few hours, I got another text:

"Hi, it sounds like the technician nailed. he did a partial purge and refill which that solved it."

So I asked:

"Is the noise gone?"

And they replied:

"Yes"

So, I went again to the service (30 minutes from my place, 4 trips yesterday, plus the time getting upset, discussing, etc... 3 hours in total spent for all this), happy to check my "noiseless" car... well, yes, the noise was probably reduced a little, but it was still there!! AH AH!!! I thought, these people really like to play jokes with me!

At this point, I asked them to give me another Model Y to make a side-to-side comparison. The guy who assisted me (not the technician), offered his Model Y performance to make the test. And, in fact, his car was completely quiet.

Ok, at this point, I asked to talk to the technician again asking for a "technical explanation" about the noise difference. He came out and said that he removed a lot of air from my car pumps and that has reduced the noise, but not completely. He also added that there was nothing more he could do about it. I said "What?? No way, you must solve this problem. This is a new car and you must explain to me why the other car doesn't have this problem!". He eluded the question, and he said that he couldn't do anything more under Tesla's warranty and that I had to drive the car for at least 1000 miles and then, only then, if the problem was still there, I could come back to re-open the case again. Another joke to my ears. I was imperative on the fact that they had to fix the problem "right now" unless they would prove to me that the noise was normal and expected. But why the difference with the other Model Y then? And he finally said "Maybe that's because your car is a newer car and has some different parts inside". I said "Ok, please, let's compare my car with another New Model Y". After my insistence, they could found a new Model Y like mine. We went inside to make the "noise test", and.....(drum rolls).... {read on....}

To my surprise, and extreme disappointment, the new Model Y had the same exact problem. Even worse! I mean, the noise was even louder!! What a shame!!

So... I discussed a lot with the technician, asking why such a difference between the old and the new cars. I said, "That's just bad design or bad manufacturing, and cannot be accepted!" and he said "You are right!"... but clearly, he didn't know about this difference until this moment. I then asked "Why do you think these new cars have this problem?" and he said, "The only thing I can think of, is that they used different parts. I know that Tesla had some problems with some part suppliers in the past 1-2 months, and so, that could be why". Unacceptable to me, anyway. I asked if that would be a different firmware? And he said, "No the firmware is the same."

Well, at this point I had no more words to say. I couldn't get upset more than that, and I couldn't do anything to have a silent Model Y under my butt. Very disappointing for a guy who has owned Teslas since 2016 (Model S, Model X, Model 3), and they all were always super-quiet.

I urged him to report the issue to Tesla and do something about it. I also said that I can't believe that even the more expensive Tesla cars like Model S/X with a price over $100,000 can have this problem. He had no comment on that.

So.. here is my story, very disappointing. And now I also understand why some people on this thread reported mysame issue whereas others didn't.

My idea now is to contact Tesla and file a claim of some sort on all this (I don't even know of it is possible to do!). This is a terrible thing that must be rectified as soon as possible. In my opinion, Tesla's reputation is at stake. I really see this as a big deal that should be promptly addressed, and I am surprised that no other people have reported this issue. Unless it is something really, really new like the last month's Model Y production batch.

I am wondering what Munro would think about this issue. I bet the Model Y he inspected didn't have this issue. And it is possible I'll try to get in touch with him as well!

What are your thoughts on all this? What would you suggest doing to tell Tesla to fix this problem as soon as possible?

Looking forward for your thoughts.... Thanks.

Quite the crazy story! I commend you for trying to get to the bottom of this. I would hope that it becomes a bulletin like for the PT sensor, where at some point the parts can be swapped at a service center for every car within a certain VIN. I'm not sure that there is much that you can do right now, if it is confirmed that newer Model Ys all have this issue. Seems like Tesla tried to cut corners yet another way. Really sucks though, one of the great things about Teslas (and EVs in general) is that they're so quiet.

Reactions: fablau
Quite the crazy story! I commend you for trying to get to the bottom of this. I would hope that it becomes a bulletin like for the PT sensor, where at some point the parts can be swapped at a service center for every car within a certain VIN. I'm not sure that there is much that you can do right now, if it is confirmed that newer Model Ys all have this issue. Seems like Tesla tried to cut corners yet another way. Really sucks though, one of the great things about Teslas (and EVs in general) is that they're so quiet.

Agreed Hexo! If you come from an ICE car, you might not even notice it. But if you have driven other Teslas, well, that's darn annoying. And I also hope I'll be able to replace those later on in some way.

Since I'd like to find out how many people have this problem, I am thinking to open a new thread just about this issue asking for people to post there if they have this same exact problem. What do you think?

Thanks again :)