Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y makes hum noise all the time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UPDATE:

Hello guys, I am back with an update about the whole thing.

As soon as I posted the YouTube video above, I sent it to the Tesla service, so that the technicians could have a look at it. They told me that they would have watched it (but they didn't... keep reading....)

On Tuesday I brought my Model Y to the service as planned. The day after, I was told that they performed all the needed checks and inspections and everything was working correctly and as expected (according to them), and that I could go to pick my car up.

Here are the exact words my contact-person at the service texted me:

"I just got with my lead master technician that personally inspected your model y. this is his synopsis: Performed noise vibration and harshness inspection of the HVAC system. Found the customer is hearing the heatpump during operation. Performed inspection of the heatpump, octovalve, and supermanifold including lines. Confirmed all hardware is not damaged or leaking, Confirmed no lines are touching the body causing resonance. Confirmed charge level of the refrigerant system is full. Currently the vehicle is operating as designed. Hardware replacement is not recommened at this time.

Obviously, I was pretty upset by the outcome. So, I went to the service and asked to talk to the technician who took care of my car. Then I talked to him, and he told me that he inspected the heat pump and found nothing wrong with it. And so, I asked: "Did you also check the water pumps? Because that's where the noise is coming from"... to my surprise, he replied, "Well, no. We haven't checked those.". And I said "But I sent you a video where I showed you where the noise was coming from! Did you watched it?"... "No".... and I asked "But didn't you inspect the whole octovalve system?" and he replied "Yes, but just visually".... (I thought: Is this a joke????!!! )

The fact is, despite I have repeated more and more times that the problem was a "noise" problem, they performed just a "visual inspection" of the heat pump, but not a "noise" inspection.

So, after my given information, he inspected the water pumps. After a quick inspection, he thought that the noise was due to some air trapped inside the cooling system lines. And he proposed to vacuum the lines to remove any possible air inside. I agreed on that possibility, so, I left, and after a few hours, I got another text:

"Hi, it sounds like the technician nailed. he did a partial purge and refill which that solved it."

So I asked:

"Is the noise gone?"

And they replied:

"Yes"

So, I went again to the service (30 minutes from my place, 4 trips yesterday, plus the time getting upset, discussing, etc... 3 hours in total spent for all this), happy to check my "noiseless" car... well, yes, the noise was probably reduced a little, but it was still there!! AH AH!!! I thought, these people really like to play jokes with me!

At this point, I asked them to give me another Model Y to make a side-to-side comparison. The guy who assisted me (not the technician), offered his Model Y performance to make the test. And, in fact, his car was completely quiet.

Ok, at this point, I asked to talk to the technician again asking for a "technical explanation" about the noise difference. He came out and said that he removed a lot of air from my car pumps and that has reduced the noise, but not completely. He also added that there was nothing more he could do about it. I said "What?? No way, you must solve this problem. This is a new car and you must explain to me why the other car doesn't have this problem!". He eluded the question, and he said that he couldn't do anything more under Tesla's warranty and that I had to drive the car for at least 1000 miles and then, only then, if the problem was still there, I could come back to re-open the case again. Another joke to my ears. I was imperative on the fact that they had to fix the problem "right now" unless they would prove to me that the noise was normal and expected. But why the difference with the other Model Y then? And he finally said "Maybe that's because your car is a newer car and has some different parts inside". I said "Ok, please, let's compare my car with another New Model Y". After my insistence, they could found a new Model Y like mine. We went inside to make the "noise test", and.....(drum rolls).... {read on....}

To my surprise, and extreme disappointment, the new Model Y had the same exact problem. Even worse! I mean, the noise was even louder!! What a shame!!

So... I discussed a lot with the technician, asking why such a difference between the old and the new cars. I said, "That's just bad design or bad manufacturing, and cannot be accepted!" and he said "You are right!"... but clearly, he didn't know about this difference until this moment. I then asked "Why do you think these new cars have this problem?" and he said, "The only thing I can think of, is that they used different parts. I know that Tesla had some problems with some part suppliers in the past 1-2 months, and so, that could be why". Unacceptable to me, anyway. I asked if that would be a different firmware? And he said, "No the firmware is the same."

Well, at this point I had no more words to say. I couldn't get upset more than that, and I couldn't do anything to have a silent Model Y under my butt. Very disappointing for a guy who has owned Teslas since 2016 (Model S, Model X, Model 3), and they all were always super-quiet.

I urged him to report the issue to Tesla and do something about it. I also said that I can't believe that even the more expensive Tesla cars like Model S/X with a price over $100,000 can have this problem. He had no comment on that.

So.. here is my story, very disappointing. And now I also understand why some people on this thread reported mysame issue whereas others didn't.

My idea now is to contact Tesla and file a claim of some sort on all this (I don't even know of it is possible to do!). This is a terrible thing that must be rectified as soon as possible. In my opinion, Tesla's reputation is at stake. I really see this as a big deal that should be promptly addressed, and I am surprised that no other people have reported this issue. Unless it is something really, really new like the last month's Model Y production batch.

I am wondering what Munro would think about this issue. I bet the Model Y he inspected didn't have this issue. And it is possible I'll try to get in touch with him as well!

What are your thoughts on all this? What would you suggest doing to tell Tesla to fix this problem as soon as possible?

Looking forward for your thoughts.... Thanks.
I would just drive it 1000 miles and take it back to service. My guess is they need to replace the water pumps. 1000 miles would give them time to get a new batch of pumps in. At least the service tech was honest with you. I think ever SC has good and bad apples. My chesterfield location has been great! I had a problem with a windshield they installed but quickly rectified (had to replace it again). Patience and politeness are key.

I would just drive it 1000 miles and take it back to service. My guess is they need to replace the water pumps. 1000 miles would give them time to get a new batch of pumps in. At least the service tech was honest with you. I think ever SC has good and bad apples. My chesterfield location has been great! I had a problem with a windshield they installed but quickly rectified (had to replace it again). Patience and politeness are key.

Yes, politeness is key, and I can't complain about that, they have been polite to me... but they also made me waste a lot of time. And yes, I also had small jobs with service in the past, and I had no complaints about that either. But as soon as I had something more than replacing a steering wheel button or fixing a not-closing well hood, I had a hard time. But as I said, they got much better nowadays.

About doing what you are suggesting, why should they replace the water pumps if the ones I have on right now are the ones they mount in production and are supposed to work that way?

Yes, politeness is key, and I can't complain about that, they have been polite to me... but they also made me waste a lot of time. And yes, I also had small jobs with service in the past, and I had no complaints about that either. But as soon as I had something more than replacing a steering wheel button or fixing a not-closing well hood, I had a hard time. But as I said, they got much better nowadays.

About doing what you are suggesting, why should they replace the water pumps if the ones I have on right now are the ones they mount in production and are supposed to work that way?
What I am saying is they most likely have a bad batch of pumps. They will discover this just like the pressure switches on the heat pumps. Then they will tell the SC to replace them with redesigned (most likely just not a bad batch) pumps which will fix the sound issue. That’s why the pressure switches are getting replaced on some of the heat pump models now.

Reactions: iustin and fablau
What I am saying is they most likely have a bad batch of pumps. They will discover this just like the pressure switches on the heat pumps. Then they will tell the SC to replace them with redesigned (most likely just not a bad batch) pumps which will fix the sound issue. That’s why the pressure switches are getting replaced on some of the heat pump models now.

That sounds good... so, would you suggest contacting the Tesla service again in 1,000 miles asking to replace the valves with new ones? Just that?

I have 2 Ys, august 2020 is quiet, every once in a while you can hear that noise just barely. Jan 2021 Y has that humming all the time but it has gotten better(around 5k miles now). I don't hear it near as much anymore. I always thought maybe it was missing sound sound insulation somewhere, havnt took the plastic cover off both to compare.

Where’s the YouTube video ? I’ll check mine out and see what it’s doing. It’s kinda loud at times too, 2020 myp

can the pump be wrapped foam / sound deadening? Wonder if it’s just a noisey pump / bearing failure

I have 2 Ys, august 2020 is quiet, every once in a while you can hear that noise just barely. Jan 2021 Y has that humming all the time but it has gotten better(around 5k miles now). I don't hear it near as much anymore. I always thought maybe it was missing sound sound insulation somewhere, havnt took the plastic cover off both to compare.

I am wondering why it got better...

Where’s the YouTube video ? I’ll check mine out and see what it’s doing. It’s kinda loud at times too, 2020 myp

can the pump be wrapped foam / sound deadening? Wonder if it’s just a noisey pump / bearing failure

Here is my video again:

Fact is, I don't think the noise will go away even if insulated. The vibration is transferred through the whole metal structure. It's a direct vibration coming from the pumps, that's why it is heard so much from the inside. There's no easy solution in my opinion.

Mine makes a lot of noise there too. Always thought it was just Normal. Can’t hear exactly how loud urs is but when I open that panel and listen under the big vent it’s loud down there. It maybe normal ? Turn up the symphony ? I can’t attach my video I just made but mine is pretty loud too. 2020 MYP with 10k miles

That sounds good... so, would you suggest contacting the Tesla service again in 1,000 miles asking to replace the valves with new ones? Just that?
I would just take it in again for noise complaint after 1000 miles. Eventually they will just replace the pump so they don’t have to mess with it. Depends on how much it bothers you. I listened to the video and it doesn’t sound that bad to me personally. I have never checked mine with the ac off as I leave it in auto all the time, so mine makes the heat pump sounds when I open the door. I used to turn my climate control off but started getting the stinky smell (whole other thread on that one) but I found leaving it in auto stops that from happening.

Reactions: fablau
Mine makes a lot of noise there too. Always thought it was just Normal. Can’t hear exactly how loud urs is but when I open that panel and listen under the big vent it’s loud down there. It maybe normal ? Turn up the symphony ? I can’t attach my video I just made but mine is pretty loud too. 2020 MYP with 10k miles

Here is a checklist to match what I experience:

1. Be sure A/C is off.

2. Let the car stay parked and off for at least 30 minutes

3. Open the door.

If you hear a noise (a hum) starting and NOT stopping coming from the front-left side (where the water pumps are located), that's my problem. You can hear it from inside very clearly. It sounds like an airplane or a far-away lawnmower.

I would just take it in again for noise complaint after 1000 miles. Eventually they will just replace the pump so they don’t have to mess with it. Depends on how much it bothers you. I listened to the video and it doesn’t sound that bad to me personally. I have never checked mine with the ac off as I leave it in auto all the time, so mine makes the heat pump sounds when I open the door. I used to turn my climate control off but started getting the stinky smell (whole other thread on that one) but I found leaving it in auto stops that from happening.

I'll do that. Actually, I'll try to contact the service again next week asking if there is any possibility that in the future those pumps could be replaced, and I'll act accordingly.

That hum is very annoying for me personally. I like to keep A/C off where I live since it doesn't get that hot most of the time, and I have always appreciated the quietness of all other Teslas I have ever driven. Now, that damn hum is always there. Of course, I can get used to it... but that would not be right. I know how quiet they can be, so it's just a pain in the neck every time I drive this car.

If you have any further ideas, please, let me know. Yesterday I dug into the Tesla website, and I could not find any "claims department" or such to report this issue. It seems the only way is to contact the service.

I opened a new thread about this issue:

Anyone having the same issue, please, post it there! Thank you!

Ok, Tesla replied with this:

I think it's worth checking. nothing pertaining to that is on our radar, as far as a revised part, or manufacturing change, but it's worth checking in case it does happen.

Now I have asked if there is a way to report this issue to Tesla for possible fixing and part replacement. I'll report their reply. I am sure that if there are enough people complaining about this issue, they'd begin to take it seriously. That's why I have opened this discussion open to all Model Y owners:

Reactions: Schulz1983
I have changed the location of the poll:

Thanks!