Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y makes hum noise all the time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m hoping this resolves the noise issue your having. I have a 2020 model 3 and it doesn’t make this noise. I ordered a model Y in July and I’m hoping it doesn’t make this noise when it finally arrives. The one I test drove in July was completely quiet. That was the first thing I noticed and was impressed how much quieter it was. I’m looking forward to your resolution.

I hope so too! I can't wait either. I'll keep you posted ;)

Anecdotally I just took delivery of a performance model as did two friends of mine. None of them have shown this humming noise.

That's interesting... if that'd be the case, makes me think... the cheapest noisy pumps mounted on the cheapest cars??!!! Of course, I can't think of the newest Model S plaid having this kind of problem, right? That'd be insanely unfair. But that could really be the case! At least, from a quality standpoint, I am sure that these kinds of noisy components are not mounted on those top-of-the-line cars.

I have dealt with people on these forums and elsewhere though, not having this issue with regular Model 3s and Model Ys. That's why I still think it is a "random issue", even though I am sure that if a technician hears a customer complaining about their noisy new Model S plaid, I am sure they'll get more attention. Am I right?

I got my Y back from service. The coolant level was pretty low (about a quart/liter I'd guess), but they couldn't find any leaks. It seems like the constant hum is gone now. My theory is that the autopilot computer/MCU were still hot from driving, but after parking they were getting mostly air instead of coolant through the coolant line. So the pump would stay on forever but wasn't effectively cooling anything. If you haven't ruled it out yet, check your coolant level. All you need is a ratchet w/ 10mm socket to 4x trunk bolts and 2x air intake bolts. I'll post some pics / vids when I get a chance.

Reactions: K-Fresh and fablau
I got my Y back from service. The coolant level was pretty low (about a quart/liter I'd guess), but they couldn't find any leaks. It seems like the constant hum is gone now. My theory is that the autopilot computer/MCU were still hot from driving, but after parking they were getting mostly air instead of coolant through the coolant line. So the pump would stay on forever but wasn't effectively cooling anything. If you haven't ruled it out yet, check your coolant level. All you need is a ratchet w/ 10mm socket to 4x trunk bolts and 2x air intake bolts. I'll post some pics / vids when I get a chance.

Wow, that's interesting! Air in the cooling liquid line was the first thing my technician checked. He removed all the air inside the line. That reduced the noise a little, but it was still there.

So, are you confirming that the noise is completely gone after this operation? Please, let us know.

And of course, please, post any pics and videos you can about this! This is cool stuff!!

Thank you very much :)

Yes, I have not had the car back long, but the constant hum is gone. It will still turn on briefly but not stay on.

To clarify, here's a comparison between the heat pump noise and the coolant pump noise with the cover off. The heat pump is the much harsher noise, but it's not the one that would stay on.

This is the location of the coolant pump, attached to the backside of the super bottle behind the super manifold.
IMG_5557.jpeg

IMG_5558.jpeg

Here's a close up of the coolant pump. It would turn on and run for a long time if the screen in the car turned on for just one second. I could hear the air bubbles in the coolant gurgling around too.

IMG_5561.jpeg

This is how low my coolant was, below the level of the coolant pump.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: lUtriaNt and fablau
Were you able to tell if your noise was coming from that same coolant pump behind the super manifold? I’m curious if our pumps have the same part number.

Yes, the noise comes definitively from that pump, you can see that in my video at modelyissue.com. I can look and see if we have the same part number. I can try tonight when I get back home.

What really puzzles me is the fact you have solved the problem by just adding more liquid to the cooling system. That would have been so easy for me to fix! As I said, I have tried everything, even sucking air from the cooling system didn't help.

Here is a picture of my first coolant pump. The P number is the same. I can't completely see your RS number. Is that the same as well?

Here is mine, below:

pumpSerial.png

From the serial numbers, yours seems to be newer than mine. It'd be interesting to have the same shot from anyone who hasn't the same issue. Anyone able to take a picture of their "silent" Model Y? That'd be really appreciated!

Hey fellas, just wanted to say that i was out on vacation and got back and this noise has to me gotten worse, i can't wait to hear if the fix has worked for your fablau when they replace the pump.

I am so sorry it got worse, my noise sometimes gets better other times gets worse. On average, it is always at the same level though.

Yes, I can't wait to replace the pumps either. I'll keep you posted!

Hello guys. I just took a short close-up video of the noise my water pumps make (ins' it crazy loud??! NOTE: the A/C is off!). I am wondering if anyone on these forums having a quiet Model Y could take the same kind of video so we can compare noise, pumps model, and serial numbers. Thanks!

I worked on a few wrecked model 3s and those coolant pumps were generally that loud. And they would get a lot louder when there is not enough fluid (air bubbles preset). But unless you have low fluid you should not hear it while driving.

I think your pump is defective - ask Tesla to replace it.

Reactions: fablau
I worked on a few wrecked model 3s and those coolant pumps were generally that loud. And they would get a lot louder when there is not enough fluid (air bubbles preset). But unless you have low fluid you should not hear it while driving.

I think your pump is defective - ask Tesla to replace it.

Yes, that's what I have been doing for the past 3 months: asking to replace them. And after my insistence, they should replace them next week! ;)

As for the noise, I think the video doesn't make justice. But I'd be curious to know how old were the Model 3s you worked on. I have a 2019 Model 3 which pump is completely quiet. I can barely hear a subtle buzz noise when I open the frunk, but nothing compared with the noise in the new Model Y. And, mostly, in the Model 3 I can't hear anything at all from inside the cabin. That's what's most annoying of the whole story of this noise in the new Model Y.

My performance MY delivered last week makes the humming noise. It wasn’t that bad at first but now it’s getting louder. Just took a trip from the Bay Area to LA and heard it the whole time and I can also feel the humming/vibration on the steering wheel

Too bad! I am sorry about that Stevein, having a Performance with this problem sucks indeed! Do you plan to call your nearest Tesla service about it? Please, let us know.

Thank you for reporting!