Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y makes hum noise all the time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UPDATE:

Today I picked up my Model Y with the pumps replaced, and despite the noise being almost gone, it is still there. Much better though, and it is in a "tolerable" range. I couldn't get upset this time. The technician who took care of my problem since June knows this problem very well and could not do anything more to help, but yet, he was very kind to explain that the reality is Tesla has no idea what is causing this problem. They could keep replacing the pumps with the hope the noise will disappear, but there is no guarantee. I spoke to him for almost one hour today, asking him if there isn't really anything else they can do to fix the problem, and he said not as far as he knows. This is the topmost level this issue can be brought up to which is the replacement of the pumps after opening an engineering ticket.

I am really getting tired of fighting for this, and I am thinking of either accepting the problem or ordering a new Model Y and reselling this one.

At this point, I am afraid the petition I started on modelyissue.com is going to bring us anywhere either. I'll keep collecting signatures and, when 100 is reached, I'll submit it, but I have not much hope in it.

I'll keep following and leading this story as much as I can, eager to learn from other people's experiences.

Thank you again for following and contributing.

PS: By the way, the part they replaced are two pumps #1133851-00-G as you can see from the shot below:

View attachment 723692
Also have the hum August 2021 MYP. Which service center in OC did you go to for the heat pump replacement. Also in OC, figured if they know the issue better to got here. Thanks

Reactions: fablau
Well, here is my story with regards to this pump noise adventure.

I ordered a red LR MY on Oct 26. Originally my EDD was May 2022, then June, then March, and then it jumped to today 12-9-2021. My VIN is MF302XXX which places it being built during the last week of October, technically a 2021 Model Y, even though I took delivery six weeks after production.

Today I went to take delivery and sure enough it has this pump noise issue. However, it doesn't seem as bad as many others are experiencing. At least I don't think it is. We can hear it from inside the car with the AC and all fans turned off. I measured it with a decibel meter and it's about 26-28 DB. It's definitely audible but not loud enough to be super annoying really. I think it's louder from the outside than the inside.

I did raise it with the SA's and they brought out some service guys, they acknowledge the sound but of course said it is normal. We then sat in a few other Model Y's and it's amazing how different these cars can sound! One MY was a bit quieter but still had it, another was about the same as mine, and a third was actually a tad louder I think.

The car is flawless otherwise. I pondered whether or not to accept the car but in the end I bought it. If it gets worse or gets to the point where I can't stand it I'll deal with it, but right now I'm okay with the noise it's making. It certainly is not silent though, that's for sure.

I've driven it 60 miles already and this car sure is a blast to drive! I can't hear the noise at all while driving or with the radio on. Now, while charging it at home with the mobile charger on a 110 outlet the noise is much more audible, and it fluctuates, I'm guessing the car is managing the battery pack while charging? It is cold out tonight so those pumps are probably working to keep the pack warm. Are Tesla's normally silent while slow charging on a 110 outlet?

So yeah, I've got the issue, but from what I could tell today most new MY's have this to some degree.

Reactions: K-Fresh

I ordered a red LR MY on Oct 26. Originally my EDD was May 2022, then June, then March, and then it jumped to today 12-9-2021. My VIN is MF302XXX which places it being built during the last week of October, technically a 2021 Model Y, even though I took delivery six weeks after production.

Today I went to take delivery and sure enough it has this pump noise issue. However, it doesn't seem as bad as many others are experiencing. At least I don't think it is. We can hear it from inside the car with the AC and all fans turned off. I measured it with a decibel meter and it's about 26-28 DB. It's definitely audible but not loud enough to be super annoying really. I think it's louder from the outside than the inside.

I did raise it with the SA's and they brought out some service guys, they acknowledge the sound but of course said it is normal. We then sat in a few other Model Y's and it's amazing how different these cars can sound! One MY was a bit quieter but still had it, another was about the same as mine, and a third was actually a tad louder I think.

The car is flawless otherwise. I pondered whether or not to accept the car but in the end I bought it. If it gets worse or gets to the point where I can't stand it I'll deal with it, but right now I'm okay with the noise it's making. It certainly is not silent though, that's for sure.

I've driven it 60 miles already and this car sure is a blast to drive! I can't hear the noise at all while driving or with the radio on. Now, while charging it at home with the mobile charger on a 110 outlet the noise is much more audible, and it fluctuates, I'm guessing the car is managing the battery pack while charging? It is cold out tonight so those pumps are probably working to keep the pack warm. Are Tesla's normally silent while slow charging on a 110 outlet?

So yeah, I've got the issue, but from what I could tell today most new MY's have this to some degree.
Thanks for sharing your experience and providing some perspective!

What was the process for you to gain access to the interior of the car?

Reactions: Mengy
Thanks for sharing your experience and providing some perspective!

What was the process for you to gain access to the interior of the car?

They unlocked it for me right from the start, didn't even have to ask. I only pressed the "accept delivery" button after two hours of hemming and hawwing and mostly sitting inside the car, lol.

Humming noise aside I had a good experience with the Devon store in PA.

Also have the hum August 2021 MYP. Which service center in OC did you go to for the heat pump replacement. Also in OC, figured if they know the issue better to got here. Thanks

Sorry for my late reply. My service center is the one in Lake Forest:

And they didn't replace the heat pump, but the water pumps. Be careful, this issue has nothing to do with the heat pump.

It's so sad how Tesla is "normalizing" the noise by saying so and dismissing it. Compare the new noisy cars with older ones, and you have no idea how quiet they are. Nothing, like if they were completely unplugged by the battery pack.

When you charge it may make more noise, and that's, yes, normal.

My model 3 has this too. It’s louder than the video makes out. Went to the service centre months ago and sat in another M3. This also did it so decided it was normal at the time.

Yep, that is what mine sounds like, but its louder in the video I took on my phone than it sounds in your video. In real life mine is only about 26 decibels yet my phone catches the hum pretty good, in fact it sounds louder on my phone recording than it does while sitting in the car! :p

The other MY's I sat in on Thursday all had the noise too but in varying degrees.

I took delivery of my 2022 Model 3 Performance on 11/20/2021. When I first drove off the lot in the first 10 miles, the pump sound was LOUD and vibration could be felt through the steering and dash/foot pedals (granted it was HOT outside). The noise has quieted down on its own during normal driving and "car off" scenarios and now its only loud if I put the car into "Track Mode". Track mode seems to activate the louder phasing of the pump(s).

Normal driving in sport mode I typically can't hear anything anymore. But as soon as I put it in track mode. It sounds about as loud, maybe louder, than Fablau's original post and video. Because I almost NEVER put it in track mode. It doesn't bother me and I just assumed because when its in track mode that it is pushing the pumps harder and at a higher voltage/rpm or something, causing the resonnance. As long as my battery stays at the optimal temp and the pump does its job to move fluid around, I accept this as "normal operation" of the pumps.

Now, does it suck that its loud in Track Mode? Of course. Do I wish they designed better/quieter pumps? Of course. Maybe in future models they will have a better design or switch back to previous design. Since I came from an incredibly loud ICE vehicle (BMW M2 Competition), the sound in this Tesla is absolutely not offensive to me. Coming from ICE and this being my first Tesla, I have nothing to compare it to and seems fine by me because its no where near as noisey as previous ICE cars I've had.

In case it matters I'm in CA around the Irvine area but the Buena Park SC would be my service location most likely. I've not had to take the car in for any complaints so far and I'm 1600 miles into the new car at this point. This car really has been a dream to drive and my wife loves it to. Pumps are noisey... meh.

I also brought in my Y for this issue and as expected, they just brushed it off by saying it’s normal.

I mentioned that I compared with my friend’s older Y and my Model 3 and they were quiet. The head technician abruptly stopped me right there and saying BS like no cars are built the same and we should not be comparing to other vehicles at this point blah blah blah. In an arrogant way, too.

I got a June 2020 built Model Y loaner and the car was quiet. I literally called the SC inside the loaner and told them exactly that. No help whatsoever. They only said the coolant level in my car was low and they filled it up and see if it helped. It did got better for like one day and the humming is back.

It’s not end of world loud for me so I guess I’ll live with that. Tesla currently cannot keep up with their orders they couldn’t care less and yes it’s said this is what their services have become.

I also brought in my Y for this issue and as expected, they just brushed it off by saying it’s normal.

I mentioned that I compared with my friend’s older Y and my Model 3 and they were quiet. The head technician abruptly stopped me right there and saying BS like no cars are built the same and we should not be comparing to other vehicles at this point blah blah blah. In an arrogant way, too.

I got a June 2020 built Model Y loaner and the car was quiet. I literally called the SC inside the loaner and told them exactly that. No help whatsoever. They only said the coolant level in my car was low and they filled it up and see if it helped. It did got better for like one day and the humming is back.

It’s not end of world loud for me so I guess I’ll live with that. Tesla currently cannot keep up with their orders they couldn’t care less and yes it’s said this is what their services have become.

Another very sad story. Very disappointing. I am sorry for you!

Got my 2022 y on Dec 22 2021. Same issue.

So sorry again!!

By the way, for anyone interested in an update about the petitions we are building on this noise issue, the first petition has been sent to Tesla on December 9th to both Tesla headquarters and the Fremont factory. We know they have received it, now we'll wait for a response. My expectations are pretty low, but we all hope for the best.

The second petition, still building on change.org, will be sent as soon as we reach 200 signatures.

A big thank you to all the supporters!

I picked up my car the other day. There is a faint humming noise with all systems off but it’s not loud enough to bother me. I measured the dB level with my phone and it was around 29-30. With the A/C on, I can’t hear the hum.

I picked up my car the other day. There is a faint humming noise with all systems off but it’s not loud enough to bother me. I measured the dB level with my phone and it was around 29-30. With the A/C on, I can’t hear the hum.

Mine is like yours, I measure about 26 dB with the fans & AC off. The hum is there but it doesn't bother me at all now after 900+ miles.

Reactions: K-Fresh and fablau
Just an update for everyone, I went to service early December, they said it's normal. They did put me in a loaner model 3 which was dead silent. It was incredible the difference. But anyways they stated it's normal and they checked the thermos and there was no oddities. Now though, I do have an issue when I out the car in drive there is a sloshing sound coming from the same area of the hum, which is the front passenger. It only comes on when in drive and not in reverse. A lot of model Ys in my area are having cabin temperature failures and one guy's service is replacing his super manifold. I'm starting to think that these units will fail sooner or later. I pray it is before warranty expires.