Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y makes hum noise all the time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just an update for everyone, I went to service early December, they said it's normal. They did put me in a loaner model 3 which was dead silent. It was incredible the difference. But anyways they stated it's normal and they checked the thermos and there was no oddities. Now though, I do have an issue when I out the car in drive there is a sloshing sound coming from the same area of the hum, which is the front passenger. It only comes on when in drive and not in reverse. A lot of model Ys in my area are having cabin temperature failures and one guy's service is replacing his super manifold. I'm starting to think that these units will fail sooner or later. I pray it is before warranty expires.

Thank you for reporting. I always had the fear of possible failure. The other issue you are talking about is interesting. Is that consistent?

Just an update for everyone, I went to service early December, they said it's normal. They did put me in a loaner model 3 which was dead silent. It was incredible the difference. But anyways they stated it's normal and they checked the thermos and there was no oddities. Now though, I do have an issue when I out the car in drive there is a sloshing sound coming from the same area of the hum, which is the front passenger. It only comes on when in drive and not in reverse. A lot of model Ys in my area are having cabin temperature failures and one guy's service is replacing his super manifold. I'm starting to think that these units will fail sooner or later. I pray it is before warranty expires.
The sloshing may be your windshield washer level on the low side. The reservoir is somewhere in front of the driver. And you'd typically not hear it in reverse as you're typically not going fast or cornering sharply.

Reactions: fablau
Just picked up my Model Y (and first ever TESLA) 3 days ago on Christmas Eve, Dec 24, 2021. I noticed the next day, Dec 25, that there was water leaking from the front right of the car onto my garage floor. It was a significant amount of water (or windshield wiper fluid, not sure which). Then yesterday, Dec 26, 2021, I noticed the very loud and weird sound coming from the frunk area, close to the front windshield on the passenger side. The noise is VERY LOUD in R, even louder with the a/c or fan on, and not as loud but still annoying in D. I was glad to find #fablau on YouTube describing the issue (not happy with the issue, of course, but happy to learn more about it). I'm headed to the service center now to start my campaign to get it fixed. Crazy that this is a problem with a $60k car. I'm hopeful to get the water pump replaced or some other fix for both the leaking and the noise. This is not the quality I expected from Tesla. I'm hopeful they will fix the problem for cars that have it, and take steps to prevent future problems from their production line.

Just picked up my Model Y (and first ever TESLA) 3 days ago on Christmas Eve, Dec 24, 2021. I noticed the next day, Dec 25, that there was water leaking from the front right of the car onto my garage floor. It was a significant amount of water (or windshield wiper fluid, not sure which). Then yesterday, Dec 26, 2021, I noticed the very loud and weird sound coming from the frunk area, close to the front windshield on the passenger side. The noise is VERY LOUD in R, even louder with the a/c or fan on, and not as loud but still annoying in D. I was glad to find #fablau on YouTube describing the issue (not happy with the issue, of course, but happy to learn more about it). I'm headed to the service center now to start my campaign to get it fixed. Crazy that this is a problem with a $60k car. I'm hopeful to get the water pump replaced or some other fix for both the leaking and the noise. This is not the quality I expected from Tesla. I'm hopeful they will fix the problem for cars that have it, and take steps to prevent future problems from their production line.

I am sorry about your new Model Y, and thank you for reporting about it!

Please, keep us posted with your service results.

I think someone else from earlier in the thread said they had some fluid replaced and the sound went away. If you didn’t hear the sound initially, then it’s a possibility that replacing the fluid and sealing the leak could solve it. If you had the sound from the beginning then it’s probably a different issue.

I think someone else from earlier in the thread said they had some fluid replaced and the sound went away. If you didn’t hear the sound initially, then it’s a possibility that replacing the fluid and sealing the leak could solve it. If you had the sound from the beginning then it’s probably a different issue.

Yes, that guy had low coolant fluid in the coolant tank. Tesla service put it to the right level and the noise went away. Lucky guy!

Our new Model Y LR (produced in October 2021) made the loud, low pitch, continuous humming noise, a bit under 50 db in the drivers seat, as described in this and other forums. With a bit of effort, and two trips to service, we got Tesla service to take it seriously. They confirmed it was louder than normal and replaced the two coolant pumps after checking with engineering. Everything appears to be resolved now!

It was very helpful reading this forum so that I could understand the issue and deal with this effectively. Based on what I read here and on similar forum posts, I was worried it would need a new supermanifold, but replacing the two coolant pumps seemed to do the trick, and make the car as quiet as I would have expected it to be (I have a M3 already).

• Informative
Reactions: PNWLeccy and fablau
Our new Model Y LR (produced in October 2021) made the loud, low pitch, continuous humming noise, a bit under 50 db in the drivers seat, as described in this and other forums. With a bit of effort, and two trips to service, we got Tesla service to take it seriously. They confirmed it was louder than normal and replaced the two coolant pumps after checking with engineering. Everything appears to be resolved now!

It was very helpful reading this forum so that I could understand the issue and deal with this effectively. Based on what I read here and on similar forum posts, I was worried it would need a new supermanifold, but replacing the two coolant pumps seemed to do the trick, and make the car as quiet as I would have expected it to be (I have a M3 already).

That's great! Thank you for reporting. You have been lucky. I got my pumps replaced as well, but the noise didn't completely go away. The noise has been reduced, but not gone. I am glad that worked well for you!

Model 3 bought 4 weeks ago. The humming noise doesn't bother me but my concern is it running down the battery? By the way, calling Tesla and expecting to get an answer on any question is a waste of time. "Bring it to the service center" is usually the response from the uninformed, unknowledgeable Tesla rep, so much so that I want sell my Tesla and get an Infinity.

Model 3 bought 4 weeks ago. The humming noise doesn't bother me but my concern is it running down the battery? By the way, calling Tesla and expecting to get an answer on any question is a waste of time. "Bring it to the service center" is usually the response from the uninformed, unknowledgeable Tesla rep, so much so that I want sell my Tesla and get an Infinity.

In my experience, the pump runs only when the car is in use (either driving or right after you have triggered something), and then it stops after 15-20 minutes if left alone parked. So, I don't think that could drain your battery if the car is left alone while parked.

I am sorry, but that doesn't work for me. The pumps eventually will stop after 15-20 minutes the car is parked and left alone, otherwise, they keep running, no matter sentry is on or off.

I had a Model S with constant hum. Everyone thought it was the HVAC system. It turned out to be a bad ballast in one of the headlights. Might want to try unplugging your headlights.

I had a Model S with constant hum. Everyone thought it was the HVAC system. It turned out to be a bad ballast in one of the headlights. Might want to try unplugging your headlights.

Thanks for the tip, but for this specific problem I am afraid the water pumps and the cooling system is responsible. The noise is clearly coming from there and not the headlights. Maybe that can help someone else!

Signed up Tesla motors club just want to say thank you OP, for raising the awareness and building that website to let Tesla know.

Picked up my MYLR in the last week of December, love it but the build quality and the service center and Tesla shitting you about this is normal that is normal while there are clearly issues made me so disappointed.

Signed up Tesla motors club just want to say thank you OP, for raising the awareness and building that website to let Tesla know.

Picked up my MYLR in the last week of December, love it but the build quality and the service center and Tesla shitting you about this is normal that is normal while there are clearly issues made me so disappointed.

I feel your pain, my friend. Please keep us posted with your development of the story.

I recently got a Refresh S LR. There are three noises in the cabin that bug me, and I suspect one of them is the topic of this thread. My previous car and EV was a Nissan LEAF that was, just like your earlier model year Teslas, completely silent at standstill.

So I popped the hood and removed the cover to see if I could identify the source of this noise. I couldn't observe it directly.
Inside the cabin, once I eliminated (temporarily) the other two sources of noise, I was left with a fairly quiet 26 dB which I feel certain is this coolant pump that seemingly runs 24/7. It's noticeable and tonal, but not too bad overall. I agree there must be some kind of programming or sensor error that is causing it to run all the time. At 26 dB, though... it's tolerable.

If you're interested in the other two noises other refresh S owners and I have:

I recently got a Refresh S LR. There are three noises in the cabin that bug me, and I suspect one of them is the topic of this thread. My previous car and EV was a Nissan LEAF that was, just like your earlier model year Teslas, completely silent at standstill.

So I popped the hood and removed the cover to see if I could identify the source of this noise. I couldn't observe it directly.
Inside the cabin, once I eliminated (temporarily) the other two sources of noise, I was left with a fairly quiet 26 dB which I feel certain is this coolant pump that seemingly runs 24/7. It's noticeable and tonal, but not too bad overall. I agree there must be some kind of programming or sensor error that is causing it to run all the time. At 26 dB, though... it's tolerable.

If you're interested in the other two noises other refresh S owners and I have:

I am sorry about that. It is possible that those cars also have installed the same defective and noisy water pumps. In my opinion, it is not a problem of "programming" or "being always on", it is just a matter of noise. As I wrote in a different posting, my 2019 Model 3 is quiet, but it also has a water pump for the cooling system which runs all the time when the car is in use. And I think that's normal behavior (it cools the battery, computer, etc). But you just can barely hear it from the outside because the pump is super quiet. From the inside? Nothing.