Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y makes hum noise all the time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes... on the one hand its possible that these new pumps are simply more powerful and that's why they emit a little (or a lot as the case may be) more noise. But then it's back to the question of why they need to be running all the time.

Reactions: fablau
Yes... on the one hand its possible that these new pumps are simply more powerful and that's why they emit a little (or a lot as the case may be) more noise. But then it's back to the question of why they need to be running all the time.
The pumps need to run all the time when the car is on but should not when off. From the Ys I have heard they pump is louder than the 3, not sure if it is a different pump or resonates more as a result of mounting or location.

Having watched the series of video of the heat pump modes, I would say that when the caris parked the “cabin heat scavenger to battery mode” could be running. Timestamp 5:25 (didn’t copy)

Are you talking about the "heat pump" or the "water pumps" that make circulate the cooling liquid (those are the two small rounded pumps shown in the video's diagram)? What makes the humming noise we are talking about are those water pumps, and they keep running and make always the same minimum noise no matter in what state the heat pump and/or octovalve system are. Of course, if the whole system gets hotter, the water pumps increase circulation speed, and so their noise can increase.

Hello here.

I just got my new Model Y two days ago (long range, dual motor), and I have noticed that there is a continuous humming sound coming from the front all the time, either when I am driving or when the car is parked. Once parked, the noise will eventually go away, but it takes several minutes (30-40?) to stop. It is most annoying when driving and the climate is off. For example, when stopping at intersections, I keep hearing this humming sound which is very, very annoying.

I have a 2019 Model 3 and never had such a problem, it is completely silent when the climate is off. I used to have a 2016 Model S, and never had this problem either. That's the beauty of electric cars, being completely silent!

Any ideas? is this a new "feature" or a defect of my new car?

Thanks.

I have just figured out how to TURN OFF my Tesla Y. This has been an adventure. But I am now able to completely shut it down and am able to once again, park in my garage!

Tesla downloaded a new button in Security; POWER OFF
When you are in your car, door closed, and hit the power off button, the car does totally shut down. Touch the brakes or open the door, the car turns back on again. IO thought, how stupid is this and what does this actually do for anyone! The Tesla service center went through this operation and I asked them what good is this? Just blank stares and continued to tell me that battery conditioning required these fans to run on demand.

Purely by accident found the cure.

HERE ARE THE STEPS TO TOTAL TESLA SHUT DOWN:
1. In drivers seat WITH DRIVERS DOOR OPEN
2. Turn blue tooth off, as once you complete this sequence, if blue tooth is on, your car will re-start.
3. Access POWER OFF BUTTON in the SECURITY link on car display.
4. Touch power off button.
5. Exit car and shut door.

The car is now off. You will notice that side mirrors stay out as there is no power to move them in. There is an issue here…..the car is also unlocked! For home garage parkers, this is ok but not for leaving your car in an unattended location.

Upon completing this procedure, a fan continues to run, cooling the battery, for up to 30 minutes. But when this battery calling is complete, NO FANS EVER COME ON AGAIN, until you wake up the car.

I have just figured out how to TURN OFF my Tesla Y. This has been an adventure. But I am now able to completely shut it down and am able to once again, park in my garage!

Tesla downloaded a new button in Security; POWER OFF
When you are in your car, door closed, and hit the power off button, the car does totally shut down. Touch the brakes or open the door, the car turns back on again. IO thought, how stupid is this and what does this actually do for anyone! The Tesla service center went through this operation and I asked them what good is this? Just blank stares and continued to tell me that battery conditioning required these fans to run on demand.

Purely by accident found the cure.

HERE ARE THE STEPS TO TOTAL TESLA SHUT DOWN:
1. In drivers seat WITH DRIVERS DOOR OPEN
2. Turn blue tooth off, as once you complete this sequence, if blue tooth is on, your car will re-start.
3. Access POWER OFF BUTTON in the SECURITY link on car display.
4. Touch power off button.
5. Exit car and shut door.

The car is now off. You will notice that side mirrors stay out as there is no power to move them in. There is an issue here…..the car is also unlocked! For home garage parkers, this is ok but not for leaving your car in an unattended location.

Upon completing this procedure, a fan continues to run, cooling the battery, for up to 30 minutes. But when this battery calling is complete, NO FANS EVER COME ON AGAIN, until you wake up the car.

Thank you for the detailed instructions. You say, in the end, that the fans come one again when you wake up the car again. Were you referring to the damn humming noise? If so, does that mean that turning off the car and then back on, doesn't make any difference, right?

Reactions: PNWLeccy
Thank you for the detailed instructions. You say, in the end, that the fans come one again when you wake up the car again. Were you referring to the damn humming noise? If so, does that mean that turning off the car and then back on, doesn't make any difference, right?
Understand that this turn off sequence has nothing to do with fans during driving. It is only to completely shut the car off , including all fans, when parked. The confusing this is that a fan still runs, only when you just get out of the car, for battery cooling, BUT IT WILL SHUT DOWN in 15-30 minutes so don't fret about it. That "damn humming noise" has a harmonic vibration and noise associated with it that I could actually hear, at night, inside my house. I was prepared to sell my Y because of it....but I love the drive of the car, best I've ever had. Truly delighted that I figured out how to turn this damn thing off!

Understand that this turn off sequence has nothing to do with fans during driving. It is only to completely shut the car off , including all fans, when parked. The confusing this is that a fan still runs, only when you just get out of the car, for battery cooling, BUT IT WILL SHUT DOWN in 15-30 minutes so don't fret about it. That "damn humming noise" has a harmonic vibration and noise associated with it that I could actually hear, at night, inside my house. I was prepared to sell my Y because of it....but I love the drive of the car, best I've ever had. Truly delighted that I figured out how to turn this damn thing off!

Right! Good tip, mostly if you want to sleep or take a nap inside your car and want do it without the damn noise ;)

My brother’s new model Y makes continuous noise too, 24/7. Even with sitting in the garage for 24 hours. Climate control off, sentry off. Here is a video:

Mine used to do this until the coolant level was topped off. The coolant pump would stay on forever trying to cool the MCU down, but couldn’t because it didn’t have enough coolant flow. Try checking after 24 hours, making sure not to wake up the mcu with phone the key unlock. If it still happens, check the coolant level.

Hi all. I’ve been having this issue since my LR MY was delivered in September 2021. The first time I went to service, they blew me off, saying the noise was normal. I decided to give it another shot after a few months and convinced them to do a “thermal test”. Low and behold, they called me today and confirmed that both coolant pumps were quote “failing to operate to their capacity”. They ordered 2 new pumps for me under warranty. Hopefully this issue will be a thing of the past for me once the new pumps are installed.

My suggestion would be to ask for a thermal test if Tesla service is saying the noise is normal. It should at least give you piece of mind and it’s less than $100 if they don’t find anything.

Hi all. I’ve been having this issue since my LR MY was delivered in September 2021. The first time I went to service, they blew me off, saying the noise was normal. I decided to give it another shot after a few months and convinced them to do a “thermal test”. Low and behold, they called me today and confirmed that both coolant pumps were quote “failing to operate to their capacity”. They ordered 2 new pumps for me under warranty. Hopefully this issue will be a thing of the past for me once the new pumps are installed.

My suggestion would be to ask for a thermal test if Tesla service is saying the noise is normal. It should at least give you piece of mind and it’s less than $100 if they don’t find anything.

That's great, please, keep us posted. In my case, they did a thermal test, and everything resulted in being normal. I had to insist a great deal to have those pumps replaced just for the noise. And the problem has been reduced, yet not completely.

That's great, please, keep us posted. In my case, they did a thermal test, and everything resulted in being normal. I had to insist a great deal to have those pumps replaced just for the noise. And the problem has been reduced, yet not completely.
I did fill out the petition and also updated it on your website. I have an appointment tomorrow. Mine is a new Model Y and I hardly driven it and the noise is annoying. I had a Model 3 in the past and have driven lot of other Teslas and never had or seen this issue. Hopefully I’ll get some answer tomorrow.