Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Map Detail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings!! Does anyone know if there is a way to increase the level of detail on the onscreen map? It’s pretty pathetic, the way it appears on my MYP at least. There are few street names, nothing like river or creek names, and I believe there is real estate available on the map to display considerably more detail. I know, I know - why don’t I just use a topo map app on my phone? 😅 Alas, I would much rather have the detail on the map to which I can refer while driving the Y on its screen.

Living a privileged life with this amazing MYP,

VelkySyr

Reactions: mangrove79
Greetings!! Does anyone know if there is a way to increase the level of detail on the onscreen map? It’s pretty pathetic, the way it appears on my MYP at least. There are few street names, nothing like river or creek names, and I believe there is real estate available on the map to display considerably more detail. I know, I know - why don’t I just use a topo map app on my phone? 😅 Alas, I would much rather have the detail on the map to which I can refer while driving the Y on its screen.

Living a privileged life with this amazing MYP,

VelkySyr
If I’m searching for a location usually I have my copilot look it up on their phone and share it with the car. If you have an existing destination, it’s fantastic because it now gives you the option to just add it as a waypoint on your existing route. Much easier than looking it up on the onscreen map which is best for showing current driving location and navigation.

Obviously doesn’t work super well when you are the only one in the car, but then you probably shouldn’t be doing a bunch of location lookup and searching while driving regardless.

There is definitely a lot Tesla can do to improve its map and navigation details. I'm a believer in not re-inventing the wheel (steering wheel not included). Why not just use Google maps or something equivalent as the background engine instead of just using the overlay. I want my Tesla navigation to do the same as Google navigation on my phone - i.e. traffic update, re-routing, accident and speed trap reports, etc. I'm sure there are some business reasons for why Tesla is doing what it's doing, but I totally agree that it's super lacking.

There is definitely a lot Tesla can do to improve its map and navigation details. I'm a believer in not re-inventing the wheel (steering wheel not included). Why not just use Google maps or something equivalent as the background engine instead of just using the overlay. I want my Tesla navigation to do the same as Google navigation on my phone - i.e. traffic update, re-routing, accident and speed trap reports, etc. I'm sure there are some business reasons for why Tesla is doing what it's doing, but I totally agree that it's super lacking.
Because Tesla would be foolish to outsource such a critical piece of their architecture to a direct competitor.

According to Tesla Owner's Manuals (Model Y here), its Maps and Navigation support all of the things I thought it couldn't do. No mention of waypoints though.
Model Y detects real-time traffic conditions and automatically adjusts the estimated driving and arrival times. In situations where traffic conditions will delay your estimated time of arrival and an alternate route is available, the navigation system can reroute you to your destination. You can also specify the minimum number of minutes that must be saved before you are rerouted. To turn this feature on or off, touch the map's settings icon (see Navigation Settings), then touch Online Routing.
Though, I've been in traffic jams and navigation never suggested alternative routes. Hmm, maybe there is a setting I didn't turn on?