Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Max Capacity Towing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After nearly 3 months I've finally gotten my hitch installed and chased down a brake controller pigtail for which I had to drive out of town (160 miles r/t) and purchase it. I've had a 2015 Jayco 19XUD since new, which is a good size camper. (I do plan on selling it and going smaller).
With Hybrids extended, it's 26 feet. Spec sheet says it weight 3360 empty and 380 tongue weight. The real weight with options is 3600 empty and around 390 tongue. To reduce weight to Model Y limits I removed the propane tank, battery (replaced with a small UPS sealed battery for breakaway switch) and spare tire. Also emptied everything and even hot water tank water. Got it hooked up level with no weight distribution hitch or sway bar and took it for a 50 mile tow.
The Model Y towed it very well. Plenty of power, no sway, good track and decent ride. Given that the unit is right at towing weight limits and large (poor aerodynamics), it did poorly on range. Having towed just under 50 miles it used more than 150 miles of range. That puts the no reserve tow range under 100 miles.
IMG_7594.JPG
vlcsnap-2020-10-02-14h33m58s400.png
vlcsnap-2020-10-02-14h35m12s410.png
vlcsnap-2020-10-02-14h37m13s205.png
vlcsnap-2020-10-02-14h38m32s652.png

Having towed just under 50 miles it used more than 150 miles of range... About 35 miles was at 60 mph and the rest was about 45 mph with about 10 traffic lights.
Sorry to hear that your range was so heavily impacted while towing. I think in large part that is due to the very boxy shape of that trailer.

Your photo appears to show that you had gone 24 miles and were averaging 816Wh/mi. If that 24 miles was at a steady 60mph that is indeed quite high energy usage.

It would be interesting to know what Wh/mi you get when towing at 55mph on a level dry road with no headwind. My guess is something like 700Wh/mi.

That trailer certainly limits your effective towing range. When towing wit my X100D I get 485-525Wh/mi for my 17 ft / 2200 lbs (loaded) trailer and can easily go 120 miles or more at 55mph.

Reactions: Flybuddy
There are many discussions about towing in the Model X forum but since the Y is limited to 3500 lbs (compared to the X at 5000 lbs) some of the trailers people tow with an X are not an option for Y owners.

Take a look at these lightweight trailers, all of them (up to the 24 ft model) can be towed with a Y: https://safaricondo.com/en/caravanes-alto/

Also see these threads:

Model X towing a Safari Condo A-2124 trailer

Towing an Alto F1743 trailer with a Model X

Thanks for the thoughts...I agree that the main reason for such poor range on the Jayco is the huge flat surface frontal area causing huge drag. Yes, I did see a significant reduction in wattage when slowing down. 50 to 55 mph would probably add another 20 to 25 miles to overall range. I like the Alto but it is a little pricey for a small trailer. The R-Pod series has a sloped frontal area and is significantly less expensive.
r-pod | Forest River RV - Manufacturer of Travel Trailers - Fifth Wheels - Tent Campers - Motorhomes

Keep in mind that the prices you see on that manufacturers website are in Canadian dollars. I think it’s a bargain when you consider the build quality. R-Pods are considerably heavier.
Hi ecarfan,
Thanks for your input on towing. I'm waiting on delivery of an Alto 2114 - currently a 12-18 month wait list. I've seen examples of the Y towing the 17 series but not the 2114 yet. With your experience, how would you estimate the Y Performance would do?

Hi Flybuddy,

Curious about installing the brake controller on your MY. Sounds like the pigtail was difficult to find? What did you purchase and was it difficult to install? Thanks,

The pigtail is unique and must be gotten from Tesla. The Model X uses the same pigtail and that was all that showed in the parts catalog when I had difficulties getting it. That was some time ago and I'm sure, by now, that Tesla has fixed this. Just call your local SC and see if they have in stock or order it. It's only 4 bucks. Simple install, here's a video on the connector and brake controller.

Interesting post and good information. Kind of expected the poor mileage and is expected by pulling something that is not aerodynamic at all. I think the teardrop style travel trailers are optimal for being pulled by Tesla's, but that doesn't fit the bill for everyone. Love the fact that my P3 that I took off my Honda Ridgeline will work here. It's a great little unit, just need to get that pigtail.

Reactions: KirillK