Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y: Month 3 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, driving my 2021 MY LR MSM has been an awesome experience. My children prefer to drive in the MY over my wife’s BMW SUV. After an adjustment of the panels from initial delivery all has been well. Last week though we heard a loud clanking coming from the back end when we went over any bump. We got the car into the shop within 3 days of making the appointment. The lead tech at the service center took a ride with me to hear the noise. He immediately heard it and said it was the loudest thing he has heard in the shop. He was sure they would find and fix and I am positive they will. I just received an email with a part ordered. It looks to be part of the suspension or the coil on the rear wheel judging by the part number. I saw that the M3 had initial issues with shocks needing to be replaced it looks like the stock ones for the MY need the occasional replacement or maybe mine was just a fluke. The part number is: RR DAMPER ASSY - COIL DM

I will post a follow up once I get the car back. I did get another MY loaner so no harm or foul here. I am just glad they got the car in quick and already have a solution on order.

Great info, I was thinking the lower control arm Nut fell off. There was a few MY with a loose or missing bolt.

CC5A4B49-16A0-4477-9C36-DD041DDCA615.jpeg

Last edited:
Great that you checked and saw the bolts there. My panel adjustments came 2 months after we picked up the car because Illinois was in lockdown so Tesla prioritized the appointments. I had them check for the loose or missing bolts when they had the MY for the adjustments. This service issue looks to be just for the one rear coil. My wife thinks the the ride is too stiff, I think it is fine, but driving the loaner MY with 20” rims does seem to be a bit more smooth. I specifically put the 19” wheels on the MY because the folks in the forums all said the 20” wheels had a rougher ride. Mid day you my wife’s X7 has gas shocks so the comparison is well off, but I could maybe swap out the shocks with some of the upgrades mentioned in other threads. On the other hand this MY is a temp until my Cybertruck order arrives so I could save the $2-3k on upgrades and just enjoy it :) I’ll definitely update the thread with the post repair notes.

+1

I debated taking delivery of my MY for a bit, especially when they moved the tri-motor CT builds up to first.

Great that you checked and saw the bolts there. My panel adjustments came 2 months after we picked up the car because Illinois was in lockdown so Tesla prioritized the appointments. I had them check for the loose or missing bolts when they had the MY for the adjustments. This service issue looks to be just for the one rear coil. My wife thinks the the ride is too stiff, I think it is fine, but driving the loaner MY with 20” rims does seem to be a bit more smooth. I specifically put the 19” wheels on the MY because the folks in the forums all said the 20” wheels had a rougher ride. Mid day you my wife’s X7 has gas shocks so the comparison is well off, but I could maybe swap out the shocks with some of the upgrades mentioned in other threads. On the other hand this MY is a temp until my Cybertruck order arrives so I could save the $2-3k on upgrades and just enjoy it :) I’ll definitely update the thread with the post repair notes.

FYI--If you're a CyberTruck reservation holder like me...

I pass all sorts of cars on my usual mountain drives, but this one was a bit unique. I passed a Rivian pick-up truck while I was starting to heading down. It was matte black and looked very good. It didn't seem oversized like so many pickups on the roads these days. I watched Long Way Up on AppleTV which features the Rivian so I was a bit surprised that my impression changed so much after seeing for a few scant seconds.

Rivian_pickup.jpg