Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y motion sickness

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

As a child I used to get motion sickness easily. It has essentially gone for years when me driving in my Lexus 2007 ES350. When I am a passenger in my wife's RX350 SUV I had few relatively brief episodes due to abrupt breaking, etc. I felt that both higher center of gravity/roll feeling and sportier suspension contributed to that. Now in my new 2021 MY LR w/19' Geminis I feel even being a driver gets me nauseous. I think using autopilot gets me there faster as car does turns at full speed and overall drives more unsteady by itself. I do appreciate tighter more precise and confident handling Tesla gives but unfortunately do feel like a bobblehead too often. I do think that Tesla is the car I want but would like your input on best approach. I do feel now that Y is too big for me and smaller Teslas may handle bad weather in NY just as confidently.

1. Get 18 inch tires with soft ride, and if not enough aftermarket air suspension.
2. Trade Y for 3, then do above.
3. Get upcoming S, with air suspension.
4. Get a new Lexus.

Thank you!

Hello,

As a child I used to get motion thickness easily. It has essentially gone for years when me driving in my Lexus 2007 ES350. When I am a passenger in my wife's RX350 SUV I had few relatively brief episodes due to abrupt breaking, etc. I felt that both higher center of gravity/roll feeling and sportier suspension contributed to that. Now in my new 2021 MY LR w/19' Geminis I feel even being a driver gets me nauseous.
I presume you mean motion sickness. If so, I remember reading that some Model Y had distorted front glass, which would cause motion sickness. I would check to make sure you car doesn't have that (people said parking in front of a dense tree and checking if the pattern changes as you move your head/eyes is one way).

If that's not the issue, you may want to switch to modes that result in less jerkiness, like switching the car to chill mode, changing the steering settings. There's no regen choice anymore, but maybe you can try "one pedal driving" by throwing it into Hold mode which may help (p 61, avoids having to let press brake to stop).

I would suggest against getting other cars unless you had a chance to test drive them also, as it may be a waste of time/money if they end up with the same issue.

Last edited:
Hello,

As a child I used to get motion thickness easily. It has essentially gone for years when me driving in my Lexus 2007 ES350. When I am a passenger in my wife's RX350 SUV I had few relatively brief episodes due to abrupt breaking, etc. I felt that both higher center of gravity/roll feeling and sportier suspension contributed to that. Now in my new 2021 MY LR w/19' Geminis I feel even being a driver gets me nauseous. I think using autopilot gets me there faster as car does turns at full speed and overall drives more unsteady by itself. I do appreciate tighter more precise and confident handling Tesla gives but unfortunately do feel like a bobblehead too often. I do think that Tesla is the car I want but would like your input on best approach. I do feel now that Y is too big for me and smaller Teslas may handle bad weather in NY just as confidently.

1. Get 18 inch tires with soft ride, and if not enough aftermarket air suspension.
4. Get a new Lexus.

Thank you!
I suffer from the exact same thing since I was a kid. I did relatively ok in sedans as close to the ground as possible but higher ground clearance SUV's really did me in. I am not too worried though coz when I drive the symptoms go away.

If you have low regenerative braking setting (braking like a normal ICE) then I've noticed jerkiness when my wife sets that. But if you have high regenerative braking on, make sure you don't just let go of the pedal. You need to control your pedal for a super smooth acceleration and braking.

If you're complaining about suspension, maybe an upgrade with Luxury coilovers would help from Mountain Pass Performance or Unplugged Performance, might run you over $3k though.

If you have low regenerative braking setting (braking like a normal ICE) then I've noticed jerkiness when my wife sets that. But if you have high regenerative braking on, make sure you don't just let go of the pedal. You need to control your pedal for a super smooth acceleration and braking.

If you're complaining about suspension, maybe an upgrade with Luxury coilovers would help from Mountain Pass Performance or Unplugged Performance, might run you over $3k though.
Wait a sec - where's the regen braking setting? I thought that was removed. I only see a setting for drive mode (Chill/Standard).

Wait a sec - where's the regen braking setting? I thought that was removed. I only see a setting for drive mode (Chill/Standard).
It should be under DRIVING in options. The Chill/Standard is the acceleration. But Regenerative Braking can be set to Low/Standard which is the difference between braking yourself and letting the friction brake for you. I still feel better control with standard regen on since I can control the acceleration and braking more smoothly.

Yep 100% clear on the differences. I think you are either on a really old OS release or a new one that I'm not on yet that re-enabled regen braking customization
PXL_20210315_164108000.jpg

@Luminous If you consider a switch to M3, make sure you check out seating position front and rear. Seats are a lot lower than MY, particularly the rear. Also, I don't think you'll feel much difference in the ride even with the slightly taller tires.
Lower seat position at M3 for the driver will probably feel better as I am more used to drive sedan. Lower seat position for rear passengers probably would not matter a lot since they will be kids and still have enough space. Now switch from current 19in wheels to 18in wheels in M3 should help ride comfort?

I had the same issue if I drove on autopilot a lot or accelerated very hard multiple times. After my first test drive of a MX performance on autopilot followed by an M3P I actually threw up.

The good news is I got my "Tesla legs" after a few weeks of owning my MY.

Hello,

As a child I used to get motion sickness easily. It has essentially gone for years when me driving in my Lexus 2007 ES350. When I am a passenger in my wife's RX350 SUV I had few relatively brief episodes due to abrupt breaking, etc. I felt that both higher center of gravity/roll feeling and sportier suspension contributed to that. Now in my new 2021 MY LR w/19' Geminis I feel even being a driver gets me nauseous. I think using autopilot gets me there faster as car does turns at full speed and overall drives more unsteady by itself. I do appreciate tighter more precise and confident handling Tesla gives but unfortunately do feel like a bobblehead too often. I do think that Tesla is the car I want but would like your input on best approach. I do feel now that Y is too big for me and smaller Teslas may handle bad weather in NY just as confidently.

4. Get a new Lexus.

Thank you!
If you tend to notice that you feel ill in Autopilot, that is probably because the car's automation rules are strict on staying centered in the lane. It will make corrections you are not expecting, thus resulting in twitchiness in the lateral / y axis - something that is not good for people susceptible to motion sickness.

model S is smoother but still slightly firm. It's in line with the Germans. I think the 3/Y issues are with the shocks. You could try a coilover kit. UPP has a satisfaction guarantee for their luxury coilovers.

Driving in chill mode will help you control regen better as well.

I do have some minor motion sickness issues, too.
When my wife and I test drove - we tried the 3 and then the Y back to back (I was a passenger both times)
The model 3 was great and a lot bigger than I expected. The thing I noticed about the Y was that after a few minutes, that body roll or whatever you call it really started kicking in my motion sickness and I had to roll down the windows and do some breathing (also switched to chill mode, which seemed to help).

I wonder if a M3 would be better for you - maybe try for an overnight test drive some time so that you can drive around for a few hours and see if that works for you.

As for selling the MY, that won't be a problem. I bet if you offered it for anything less than MSRP on the forums it would disappear that day (and you may get more than you paid for it, especially with these recent price increases).