Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y motorway feedback?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With a number of people picking up their new MYs, looking great btw, and heading home on the motorway, how are people finding it at these speeds? The demo drives don't seem to have allowed people to travel at 70mph.. so was it noisy, how was efficiency? Keen to hear your feedback, I'm in a 2019 M3 and find it noisier than I would like on the motorway.

I understand that the 19 inch wheels should be more efficient than the 20s. I'm hoping that a MY 2022 LR will have about the same range as a M3 2019 LR where the new efficiencies offset larger size.

My recent Model Y (19" wheels) test drive included a stretch of motorway so I was able to drive at 70mph for a while. Overall it felt more comfortable, quieter and smoother than my 2019 M3LR which I used immediately afterwards on the same route so that I could compare.

I ended up ordering a Model Y...

Bear in mind though, that a 2022 M3LR would probably be noticeably better than your 2019 M3LR as well because of the glazing improvements etc.

Reactions: Brian50 and GT_M3
Picked up my new MY (19 inch wheels) from Southampton yesterday and drove it back on three and two lane roads in very heavy rain for a significant portion of the journey. Initial impressions:

1) It cruised really well at motorway speeds
2) The higher seating position is really great for visibility, comfort and getting out of the vehicle
3) The ride actually seemed better than by previous M3 with 18inch wheels
4) The rear window seems smaller than the M3 so visibility behind needs a bit of getting used and perhaps more use of side mirrors.

I did a test drive in Cardiff today of a Model Y Long Range with 19 inch Geminis. This included a stretch of 70mph dual carriageway in horrendous weather. I concur with the comments earlier in this thread by @muster39 - Compared to my 2019 Model 3 with 18 inch Aeros, I found the Y more refined overall. It was noticeably quieter, rode bumps better and I really enjoyed the higher driving position. Overall a better experience, Mrs interbear thought the same. We did the test drive as we wanted to check the hatchback area as we have a dog and think the Y would be better for transporting him.

The conclusion was yes, it is a better option and we may well now go for a Y. It’s in pole position as I value the supercharger network highly, but I’m also looking at some alternatives such as the Skoda Enyaq and Volvo XC40 Recharge. Decisions, decisions.

Several weeks ago I made the claim that the new model Y should be better and prove all the reviews wrong since there were refinements such as the new battery and other tweaks that no one had tested. Can we assume that the suspension is now fine and doesn't require any replacement?

Several weeks ago I made the claim that the new model Y should be better and prove all the reviews wrong since there were refinements such as the new battery and other tweaks that no one had tested. Can we assume that the suspension is now fine and doesn't require any replacement?
It’s a bigger and higher M3 but the suspensions are the same c..p.

Lots of people reporting from Saturday Southampton delivery day that the 19 inch wheels are quite over-inflated. Checked mine and yes, they were about 48 PSI whereas they should be 42. Definitely improved the ride on my local country roads after I deflated them.

• Informative
Reactions: GT_M3
Picked up my new MY (19 inch wheels) from Southampton yesterday and drove it back on three and two lane roads in very heavy rain for a significant portion of the journey. Initial impressions:

1) It cruised really well at motorway speeds
2) The higher seating position is really great for visibility, comfort and getting out of the vehicle
3) The ride actually seemed better than by previous M3 with 18inch wheels
4) The rear window seems smaller than the M3 so visibility behind needs a bit of getting used and perhaps more use of side mirrors.
Hi I concur

Lots of people reporting from Saturday Southampton delivery day that the 19 inch wheels are quite over-inflated. Checked mine and yes, they were about 48 PSI whereas they should be 42. Definitely improved the ride on my local country roads after I deflated them.
Might be a stupid question. Are there any inflators that can also deflate? Hate doing it manually every time I change between 5 or 3 passengers.

Might be a stupid question. Are there any inflators that can also deflate? Hate doing it manually every time I change between 5 or 3 passengers.
A 'proper' compressor with a tyre inflator usually has a side button to deflate. Well worth owning a compressor just for an air duster attachment to blow cr@p out of all sorts of stuff... doesn't have to be an expensive model, cheapo lidl jobbie is fine if you have room to keep one.
Min gets used as often for blowing wet grass off the mower as it does for inflating tyres or cleaning chainsaws etc