Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Mud flap or anything to prevent damage in Canadian snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

S3TER

Oct 13, 2022
Canada
Hi All, I recently got my model Y LR after almost a year of waiting, I believe Canadian version of Model Y comes with a front mud flops on the font wheel and perhaps protective film installed from Tesla, anyone who lives in Canada knows we sometime have really bad snowy days and the roads and streets snowy with mix of salt and mud, my question is do you guys recommend mud flaps for back wheels? Does it make any difference or do you recommend anything else for winter in Canada?

You might consider PPF for the lower front of the rear wheel wells. The front tires throw rocks that strike that area -- maybe not so much if you've got front mudflaps. Anyway, Tesla and I'm sure Amazon sell a kit, or you can have it done at a tint shop. I think I paid US$75 at a shop and didn't have to hassle getting it on straight.

Upvote 0
Hi All, I recently got my model Y LR after almost a year of waiting, I believe Canadian version of Model Y comes with a front mud flops on the font wheel and perhaps protective film installed from Tesla, anyone who lives in Canada knows we sometime have really bad snowy days and the roads and streets snowy with mix of salt and mud, my question is do you guys recommend mud flaps for back wheels? Does it make any difference or do you recommend anything else for winter in Canada?
Winter tires. The factory all-season tires are crap when driven in snow.

Upvote 0

I just picked up my Model Y here in BC, Canada last Sunday and yes it only comes with mud flaps in the front and PPF at the rear passenger door by the corner.

Personally I ain't a fan of the Tesla Mud flaps because when I pull into my garage the flaps hits the small bump of the curb and make scape sound.
I'm shopping for a set of front and back that is shorter

Upvote 0
I just picked up my Model Y here in BC, Canada last Sunday and yes it only comes with mud flaps in the front and PPF at the rear passenger door by the corner.

Personally I ain't a fan of the Tesla Mud flaps because when I pull into my garage the flaps hits the small bump of the curb and make scape sound.
I'm shopping for a set of front and back that is shorter
Interesting, I just got my model Y last sunday and my car didn't come with any mudflaps, I was reading through this forum and noticed some got the flaps and some did not.
I think someone said they put in a service call for the front ones, should I do the same?

Located in Toronto btw.

A friend of mine also took delivery a week before me and got the trunk cover? (not sure if she had mistaken this for something else) but my car didn't come with this. I know tesla cars can change between deliveries but i assumed these would have been included in the new batch mod model y's.

Upvote 0

Attachments

• 5AF18101-B7DB-4EE9-A231-F7C49AAA2341.jpeg
    5AF18101-B7DB-4EE9-A231-F7C49AAA2341.jpeg
    970.6 KB · Views: 328
  • A40E65AF-83D4-409A-B366-80A4380BA0EF.jpeg
    A40E65AF-83D4-409A-B366-80A4380BA0EF.jpeg
    802.8 KB · Views: 200
  • 32260E13-EE30-4E76-BC90-6F9F24231B22.jpeg
    32260E13-EE30-4E76-BC90-6F9F24231B22.jpeg
    963.1 KB · Views: 199
Upvote 0
nice, yes i like the minimalist look.

I heard about the tesla oem mudflaps possibly scrapping as well.

I put in a service call for them today, hopefully they can be useable for the time being and ill swap them out eventually as well.
If you don't already have the side panel PPF, I would also get those, just for the area by the rear wheel that gets chipped off.

Upvote 0
If you don't already have the side panel PPF, I would also get those, just for the area by the rear wheel that gets chipped off.

Strangely enough I did have the side panel pff installed, but they will be useless/obsolete soon because I am having the whole car redone with ppf.

I read somewhere that they leave the mudlfaps off because they are short on supply. But I feel like my tesla contact should have at least informed me that I could put in a service call for them. Canadian winters are harsh and these are definitely required.

Upvote 0
Strangely enough I did have the side panel pff installed, but they will be useless/obsolete soon because I am having the whole car redone with ppf.

I read somewhere that they leave the mudlfaps off because they are short on supply. But I feel like my tesla contact should have at least informed me that I could put in a service call for them. Canadian winters are harsh and these are definitely required.
Ouch, that's unfortunate. Yah, unfortunately communication is probably one of their biggest weaknesses.

Upvote 0

You can have my front OEM mud flaps free.. I'm over by Fairview Mall, North York supercharger. DM me. Only used for 1.5 months.

Reactions: scarborough
Upvote 0
You can have my front OEM mud flaps free.. I'm over by Fairview Mall, North York supercharger. DM me. Only used for 1.5 months.
Hey man, wow didn't think the tesla community was so kind hahaha..
I appreciate that. the service guy actually came by and installed them today, took less than 10 minutes. So thank you!

He also gave me an extra front cover plate for when they remove it during the ppf process. But i'm thinking of buying the attachment that hooks on the grill underneath and holds the plate.

Sucks that they stopped giving out the chrome back plate covers, going to need to find one after market.

Reactions: akidesir
Upvote 0
Here's an update from Montana. If the mud flaps you install have a cupped surface that can capture snow...it will. The snow will eventually freeze and continue to accumulate and sooner or later you'll go over something that will contact this frozen snow, and bingo, the plastic clips break and you're out a mud flap. This has happened twice on the front mud flaps and now once on a rear mud flaps. I installed the Tesla mud flaps thinking at least with a flat surface they'd be better and so far they are. Now I'm looking for a rear mud flap with a flat surface....the Rally Armour ones look nice but they're $182. If anyone knows of a set with flat surfaces and a cheaper price let me know.

Reactions: Prairie
Upvote 0
The Rally Armor mud flaps have been superb on my car. Installation was an absolute breeze, and they are extremely secure and look awesome.

The main reason I went with these over a hard plastic is due to my car being lowered, I was snapping the hard plastic ones left and right. The rally armor ones will make contact with a driveway or speed bump and just glide over them without issue.

I would imagine in conditions like snow where you will be encountering high points and low points in the road surface, this could be a major pro, as they will slide over the high sections as opposed to digging in to them and either filling up with snow or worse yet ripping off or cracking.

As the above poster mentioned, just like the Tesla OEM design they are a flat surface, so will not accumulate debris, they will just shrug it off. The material Rally Armor uses is slippery as well, which should help even more. I'll likely apply some SiO2 to them to make them hydrophobic to allow for easier cleaning as well after contacting Rally Armor to ensure that SiO2 or a true ceramic coating won't damage the material that they are made of.

Once again I want to reiterate, they look AWESOME. I ran these on my Evo IX for years before I sold it and have always loved Rally Amor mud flap products. I need to get a picture in but I dropped the car off for front PPF and ceramic coating the day after the install. Will try to return with photos when I get the car back, but you can find plenty on the internet. I went with the grey font for my grey car.

Upvote 0
The Rally Armor mud flaps have been superb on my car. Installation was an absolute breeze, and they are extremely secure and look awesome.

The main reason I went with these over a hard plastic is due to my car being lowered, I was snapping the hard plastic ones left and right. The rally armor ones will make contact with a driveway or speed bump and just glide over them without issue.

I would imagine in conditions like snow where you will be encountering high points and low points in the road surface, this could be a major pro, as they will slide over the high sections as opposed to digging in to them and either filling up with snow or worse yet ripping off or cracking.

As the above poster mentioned, just like the Tesla OEM design they are a flat surface, so will not accumulate debris, they will just shrug it off. The material Rally Armor uses is slippery as well, which should help even more. I'll likely apply some SiO2 to them to make them hydrophobic to allow for easier cleaning as well after contacting Rally Armor to ensure that SiO2 or a true ceramic coating won't damage the material that they are made of.

Once again I want to reiterate, they look AWESOME. I ran these on my Evo IX for years before I sold it and have always loved Rally Amor mud flap products. I need to get a picture in but I dropped the car off for front PPF and ceramic coating the day after the install. Will try to return with photos when I get the car back, but you can find plenty on the internet. I went with the grey font for my grey car.
Thanks for the reply....I'd shied away from the Rally Armour because of the price, but at the rate I'm going I'll have spent nearly that much replacing the cupped plastic ones! If

Upvote 0