Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Mud flap or anything to prevent damage in Canadian snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

S3TER

Oct 13, 2022
Canada
Hi All, I recently got my model Y LR after almost a year of waiting, I believe Canadian version of Model Y comes with a front mud flops on the font wheel and perhaps protective film installed from Tesla, anyone who lives in Canada knows we sometime have really bad snowy days and the roads and streets snowy with mix of salt and mud, my question is do you guys recommend mud flaps for back wheels? Does it make any difference or do you recommend anything else for winter in Canada?

Hi All, I recently got my model Y LR after almost a year of waiting, I believe Canadian version of Model Y comes with a front mud flops on the font wheel and perhaps protective film installed from Tesla, anyone who lives in Canada knows we sometime have really bad snowy days and the roads and streets snowy with mix of salt and mud, my question is do you guys recommend mud flaps for back wheels? Does it make any difference or do you recommend anything else for winter in Canada?
Have a look at my comments regarding rear mud flaps and the cupped design that most of them feature. I've now been through three mud laps after they'd built up snow, hit a driveway or snowbank and snapped off. You're certainly welcome to the rear set I have. They'd be fine if you're not driving much on snow covered roads?

Upvote 0
I remove the factory mud flaps and installed Tesmanian flaps $65. Very easy to install, look great and work

Attachments

• 7C87AE49-AE05-462F-8BD4-CD40AD283E69.jpeg
    7C87AE49-AE05-462F-8BD4-CD40AD283E69.jpeg
    641 KB · Views: 201
Reactions: akidesir
Upvote 0
Depending on the delay, consider cancelling if it’s substantial enough. I ordered direct from Rally Armor and they went out the next day with UPS ground and I had them in 4 ish days.

I ordered from CSPRacing. They say it is expected to be able to ship by the end of the month.

I was considering ordering directly from Rally Armor but site but CSPRacing has them on sale with free shipping which saves me about $33.

Upvote 0
I had mud flaps installed from the factory on my Model Y, but after just a few weeks of winter it looks like one is missing and the other side is broken. I’ll ask the service Center to see what they say but I’m surprised they would install such cheap mud flaps on a Canadian car…

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply....I'd shied away from the Rally Armour because of the price, but at the rate I'm going I'll have spent nearly that much replacing the cupped plastic ones! If
And, here it is at the end of the winter, and I've managed to keep them on, only by carrying along a trowel and clearing off snow after virtually every drive when it's been snowy...and it's been snowy a lot....they both have broken segments so I guess it's off to the Rally Armour website🤔

Upvote 0
And here it is the "end" of winter, though it is once again snowing. I waited for a day when it was reasonable to try and put the Rally Armour flaps on and here's the report. What a struggle. Getting the old cupped mudflaps off was considerably more of an ordeal than I expected. The clips simply broke off and I then had to extract them with needle nose pliers, which was no mean feat. The bolt on the RR underside simply wouldn't unscrew so I had to cut the old mudflap off with clippers. The Rally Armour clips were very difficult to get seated in their respecive slots and once seated didn't seem to be attached to anything as when I tried to tighten the Rally Armour screw it would just rotate the whole unit. I eventually got the rear ones on but they're not as tight as they really should be so I'll work on that tomorrow. Given the difficulty puttng the rears on I'll just leave the Tesla flaps on the front for now. Conclusion...if you're putting them on a new Y you probably won't have this set of problems...if you're replacing an older set be ready for some frustrations.

Last edited:
Upvote 0