Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Mud Flap Saga

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Help! This happened to my bolt, it's stuck and spinning - how do I resolve this?
  1. Get some vice grips, flashlight, and some Liquid Wrench or WD40
  2. Pull back the fender liner where you popped out the two plastic grommets and thumbscrew.
  3. Grip the nut with the vice grips.
  4. Spray some of your lubricant on the bolt (I did a little from both the top and bottom)
  5. Unscrew the bolt from the bottom.

Help! This happened to my bolt, it's stuck and spinning - how do I resolve this?
Go here and look at the multiple install videos:

I bit the bullet and ended up ordering the Tesla mud flaps. I’ll see how they work during winter. I wanted the Rally Armor, but I dislike how it makes the MY look. If the ones from Tesla fail I’ll have no choice at that point.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I bit the bullet and ended up ordering the Tesla mud flaps. I’ll see how they work during winter. I wanted the Rally Armor, but I dislike how it makes the MY look. If the ones from Tesla fail I’ll have no choice at that point.
We like them but we also have the equivalent of the Tesla PPF pieces for the rear doors. At this point the road salt makes it easy to see what's happening. The Tesla flaps are easy to put on, they seem stable and they don't drag on driveways but I put them on the day after we got the car so I can't really speak to off versus on. Compared to the images I've seen they're working.

We have blue paint so I wanted to do everything possible short of wrapping the rear doors -- well I would have wrapped the doors but my spouse said no.

I just noticed that my Tesla mud flaps did not survive the winter as both are now missing, lol.
I posted on another thread…my RPM mudflaps can’t be recommended if you live somewhere that gets snow. The cup design allows huge snow buildup behind the wheel, a bump or a driveway and they break off. I’ve had 2 LF break off. RPM doesn’t replace individual ones so you have to get the whole set. Somehow buying 2 or 3 sets a winter doesn’t seem sustainable! I’m looking for an alternative.

• Informative
Reactions: 101dals
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I had ordered the RPM mud flaps but didn't like the open "scoop" design on the front so ended up returning them after searching these forums and seeing a recommendation for this set on Amazon which look more "finished" to me with flat front surfaces:

These do require one bolt on the car for each of the 4 corners. Fortunately, didn't have any issues with the rear bolts but did end up swapping the washers on the front bolts as the original ones on the car were a bit too big.

I had ordered the RPM mud flaps but didn't like the open "scoop" design on the front so ended up returning them after searching these forums and seeing a recommendation for this set on Amazon which look more "finished" to me with flat front surfaces:

These do require one bolt on the car for each of the 4 corners. Fortunately, didn't have any issues with the rear bolts but did end up swapping the washers on the front bolts as the original ones on the car were a bit too big.
Good choice. The RPMs really did collect huge quantities of snow. Since I’ve now been through two sets of them….

Continuing saga. After some FedEx shipping confusion the Tesla mud flaps arrived. they’re a quick install and look fine although they don’t match the RPMs in back. They look like they might do a better job keeping the rear PPF free of road grit? Hopefully, they don’t come off in snow as easily as they installed. I’ll be careful backing up in snow. Shouldn’t be an issue for the next several months🤔

How does one keep these on the car in the winter? I lost all of mine, one by one, in a 3-4 week period.
We’ll see how the Tesla ones do? I’ve seen the posts regarding how the Tesla ones come off backing through snow, but the problem I had was the large amounts of snow behind the front wheels with the RPMs. I’m hoping the Tesla flaps don’t accumulate snow like that and I guess I’ll try and be careful backing into snow. I’m in Montana, as you can see. It hasn’t snowed since Friday! Hopefully it won’t be an issue for awhile!

We’ll see how the Tesla ones do? I’ve seen the posts regarding how the Tesla ones come off backing through snow, but the problem I had was the large amounts of snow behind the front wheels with the RPMs. I’m hoping the Tesla flaps don’t accumulate snow like that and I guess I’ll try and be careful backing into snow. I’m in Montana, as you can see. It hasn’t snowed since Friday! Hopefully it won’t be an issue for awhile!
My Y came with mud flaps on the back from Tesla. Just a flat piece of hard material.

Of course one side was missing a clip already so not overly confident they’ll last.

What is the recco then for winter proof mud flaps?

I got some rally armor ones and they installed pretty easy. Rubber and sleek, highly recommended

Attachments

• 9C38F3BE-7FB4-410B-A85D-434A06A8F054.jpeg
    9C38F3BE-7FB4-410B-A85D-434A06A8F054.jpeg
    314.9 KB · Views: 145