Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y needs a 2nd screen for 2nd/3rd row passengers.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nocturnal

Supporting Member
Aug 23, 2018
Deepening Crisis!
Had this thought the other day. I often wait in the car with 1 of my 2 kids while the other has some sort of practice or lesson going on. It would be especially useful in a larger vehicle to have a screen in the back for media purposes. Ideally one on a telescoping/movable arm.

Letting my kids play games from their seats without moving all around or even watching Netflix while driving? Huge value no?

• Love
Reactions: DirtyT3sla
I used to think this as well. Now I feel that tablets perform the role just as good and for cheaper than what an extra built in screen would cost. Then when you are not in the car you have a tablet. Plus, honestly you probably already have a tablet or three.

We upgraded our cross country touring vehicle two years ago from a large SUV with rear screens to a station wagon without and have not missed them at all.

I used to think this as well. Now I feel that tablets perform the role just as good and for cheaper than what an extra built in screen would cost. Then when you are not in the car you have a tablet. Plus, honestly you probably already have a tablet or three.

We upgraded our cross country touring vehicle two years ago from a large SUV with rear screens to a station wagon without and have not missed them at all.
Good point. What about other controls? I do think that the Tesla integrated media might be enough to make it useful compared to other screens.

Last edited:
Wait a minute, I thought the Model Y was a single driver version Tesla. We really don't need 2nd or 3rd row PASSENGERS driving the car or accessing the controls. Leave the kids at home if they bother you while you drive.

This is likely the winner for the least smart idea posted about a Tesla.

Is the 3 too big that it would be good to have a screen in the back? If not, I doubt you'll need one for the Y. The rear passenger space of the Y can't be more than a couple of inches more spacious than the 3 from the looks of the test prototype vehicles driving around.

Agree with you. No way would I pay for rear screen options as part of a car. Too expensive and not versatile enough. Cheaper and easier to have a few previous generation tablets in the car with LTE or a handy personal hotspot to connect to.

Agree with you. No way would I pay for rear screen options as part of a car. Too expensive and not versatile enough.
Cheaper and easier to have a few previous generation tablets in the car with LTE or a handy personal hotspot to connect to.
I kind of agree that the Model 3 central display is nice but the browser doesn't offer the same capabilities than a smartphone or a tablet.
For example you cannot install Apps or add Bluetooth devices. The only advantage may be would be to use the car audio speakers?

Beside option cost ($500? x2 devices) the tablet would quickly become obsolete (I have older tablets which cannot install newer Apps)
To save cost and support complexity, airline companies often provides only WiFi and App, and recommend to BYOD (Bring your own device.)

2019UnitedB337Seat  .jpg

Last edited: