Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y needs more space behind rear center console for additional CANBUS add ons!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After adding the Commander for the S3XY buttons and the 2nd screen rear display, I’m running out of space in the back of the rear center console for connections! Unlike the Model 3, which has a huge area for stuffing wires and CANBUS connectors, the same area on the Model Y has a plate of metal welded on. If anyone has encountered this, let’s discuss how to solve this issue.

680812D0-84AB-43F8-B803-D1100E2BB3FE.jpeg

Not sure, the S3XY button’s app shows that the commander module is disconnected whenever the car is in sleep mode (mostly when the main display is off). I think the display is mostly off when the car is locked or when doors are closed+car thinks no one is inside.

Also, I’m not sure if the CANbus draws power from the main battery at all or just from the 12v.

Is it possible to install the S3XY Commander in the passenger A pillar trim? According to this page, the are connectors for the vehicle and chassis CAN busses there:

Reactions: SunnyT
I found the solution. You need harness that be connected to the front with the wireless harness and one at the A pillar of the passenger sir. I just did it today to connect my 7.2 inches rear entertainment climate and media control. Attached the harness that you need

Attachments

• IMG-20230424-WA0000.jpeg
    IMG-20230424-WA0000.jpeg
    639.1 KB · Views: 209
Contact me if you need help with connection. Some Tesla, 2022 model y standard range, don't have interface at the rear center console, like mine. Though, it took me time to figure out how to install accessories because of the issue but I got it done at the end of the day.
Hello
I have an Austin built with no connection in the rear console. Where do you connect the harness and where do I find it?

After adding the Commander for the S3XY buttons and the 2nd screen rear display, I’m running out of space in the back of the rear center console for connections! Unlike the Model 3, which has a huge area for stuffing wires and CANBUS connectors, the same area on the Model Y has a plate of metal welded on. If anyone has encountered this, let’s discuss how to solve this issue.
Use this.

s_torch2.jpg

Just got a new Y from Austin. It's the same. No space but the connectors are there. Also there is a red tab on the connector latch. I don't know if it's tamper-resistant feature or just to keep it from coming loose. I might have to go with the pillar connector if I have it. Disappointing as I had to get a new cable for ScanMyTesla. Model 3 had the very old style.

Service manual seems to show there might be a connector on left hand side of console and space below.

Last edited: