Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y New Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

My 2021 MY LR needs new tires and I was researching tires. I was planning on getting these. Has anyone tried these?

In addition, when I was researching, I was thinking about the Gemini 19” wheel covers. I currently have the stock Continental ProContact RX. Do the Gemini 19” wheel covers only work with the stock wheels?

Thanks for your input!

Your question is very confusing. Yes, the Gemini covers only work with the stock WHEELS because they clip onto the spokes of the WHEEL. I suspect you are actually asking about the TIRES though... You can put whatever appropriately sized tires you want on the Gemini wheels.

If you are indeed asking if the covers would fit on other wheels, no, they do not and I don't know why you would want to change to other 19" wheels if you're intending to hide them behind the covers.

I'm not familiar with those tires.

I went with the quatrac pros and went up a size (255/50r19) for more ground clearance and a softer ride.

Be prepared to be horrified at your crazy high Wh/mi when you put new tires on. Don't sweat it until you've put a couple thousand miles on. Even then, even the same tire as the one you replaced will consume more energy until it is worn as much as the old ones.

The General Altimax RT43 would work but might have slightly lower efficiency (~5% to 10% higher energy consumption, Wh/mile) than the OE tires. Be aware that there is a newer version, Altimax RT45 available for the same price as the RT43.

The Michelin CrossClimate2 (CC2) Grand Touring All-Season tire, now available in a size, rating to fit the Tesla Model Y, would be a good choice. The cost per tire for the CC2 is 50% higher than the General Altimax RT43. The CC2 carries an Eco Focus designation so it may offer improved efficiency (Eco Focus can mean different things, not just tire rolling efficiency.)

Have a look the Pirelli P7 AS Plus 3. I have them on an ICE SUV and am very satisfied with them for quietness, traction, etc. I like them over the CC2 because the tires are not directional tread and you can 4-way rotate them for longer life. Also the cost is lower and the wear rating is higher than the CC2. My experience with the RT43 is that it is a VERY ordinary tire.

Disclaimer: The CC2 does extremely well in reviews and I have no experience with it to make a comparison to the Pirelli.

28177DE4-DA2B-48E4-98D6-0A90AC824CBF.jpeg

Not in the OE tire size for the 20 inch Induction wheels - 255/40R-20. There is a CC2 in size 255/45R-20 (29" tire diameter versus 28" diameter for the OE size. May fit, the Tesla Model Y with the 20 Induction wheels. Speedometer error of 3.6%, i.e. speedometer reading would be 2.5 MPH low at 70 MPH.
When I went up a tire size, my GPS indicated that when the speedometer read 70 MPH, I went from going from 68.5 MPH to 71 MPH.

At 29k miles, 4/32", my OEM ContiProContacts on the rear like to slide out under moderate acceleration while turning. I'm having the CrossClimate2s installed tomorrow.

I don't need such an aggressive tread, but I just installed them (235/45-18) on our 2019 Avalon Hybrid, and they seem to be everything they advertise. MUCH smoother/quiter than the OEM Bridgestone Turanza EL440s, which were as hard as Fred Flintstones' tires/wheels. The EL440s were also very noisy, with 5/32" tread left, at 26k miles.

Reactions: Koki
Did you see any notable change in efficiency?
Yes. After a couple of thousand miles (it was horrible at first), I'm ~10.5% lower per the car computer. 7.5% of that is because my odometer now reads 7.5% lower (not real regarding efficiency) and the tire is around 3% less efficient than the worn OEM tires. I wouldn't be surprised to see the same efficiency as OEM (compensating for the odometer error of course) when they get more worn.

Yes. After a couple of thousand miles (it was horrible at first), I'm ~10.5% lower per the car computer. 7.5% of that is because my odometer now reads 7.5% lower (not real regarding efficiency) and the tire is around 3% less efficient than the worn OEM tires. I wouldn't be surprised to see the same efficiency as OEM (compensating for the odometer error of course) when they get more worn.
Ahh very cool. Thanks for the info.

Just to add more info for folks that are shocked how terrible the efficiency is with replacement tires. My lifetime consumption was just below 250 Wh/mi when I got my new tires. I've taken the trip back home from the shopping center where I bought my tires many, many times. It is always around 240 - 260 Wh/mi. With my brand new tires, it was 450! I was shocked, but liked the tire ride and quietness so much, I decided to stick it out. It improved over a couple of thousand miles. The first week was terrible. I'm very glad I kept them since they have worn in nicely.

I changed out OEM Continentals for Bridgestone Turanza Quiet tracks and have driven 15,000 miles on the Bridgestones. As earlier posters mentioned, my efficiency took a hit as well. It went from about 266 Wh/m on Continentals to about 350 on Turanzas and have since improved to 291 Wh/m. Spring and summer temps also helped.

A tire size comparison indicates that the 255/50R-19 tires are 3.6% larger than the OE 255/45R-19 tires. 3.6% lower efficiency due to the Tesla speedometer/odometer error and ~7% lower efficiency due to other tire properties such as construction, weight and wider sidewall.

Tire Size Comparison

As more and more Y owners are getting close to needing new tires, it would be wonderful to start a list of tire comparisons. For example, road noise, comfort, efficiency could all be compared.

As a point of reference, other posters have suggested that the Michelin Crossclimate 2, has been a very noisy tire on the Model Y. I know I had these at the top of my list before reading these descriptions.

A consolidation of different threads would be truly helpful.

Has anyone looked at the efficiency, ride comfort, etc. of replacing with Falken Wildpeaks?

I am looking to replace the OE Contis with either the CC2, Quatrac Pros, or Wildpeaks because I am looking for an All-weather tire that can handle some snow and trails better. I'm also planning to size up to 255/50R-19 for some additional ground clearance.

For reference, I have a lifetime 300 wh/mi over the first 6.5k miles with ProContacts which seems higher than most others but I do lots of trips up to the mountains. I also had a lifetime 280 wh/mi with my 2018 M3 LR RWD w/ 19" wheels so I guess <10% bump for a much bigger vehicle and dual motor is not bad of a hit.