Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MODEL Y no backup warning noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you search for PWS (pedestrian warning system) you will find that some cars have it, some done. All cars built in Sept. were supposed to have it due to the law going into affect, however it was delayed 6 months. I have personally seen a new model Y with the PWS installed, and it had that "spaceship" noise when reversing. You can also search on youtube for Daerik and you can find a video where they installed the speaker on their Y to verify it works. (it does)

I have a model 3 that emits a warning tone when backing up. My new model Y has no such tone. Tesla service said my vehicle was shipped with out an outside speaker. Is this the case with all model Ys? Dual Motor Long Range

The speaker was not required on Tesla's until September 1st, 2020. The wiring and mounting area should already be there. You can purchase the speaker from Tesla and install it yourself or have Tesla service install it for you. I hear it's really annoying....so I will not be installing. Checkout David and Eric's YouTube channel

Reactions: CO_MY
The speaker was not required on Tesla's until September 1st, 2020. The wiring and mounting area should already be there. You can purchase the speaker from Tesla and install it yourself or have Tesla service install it for you. I hear it's really annoying....so I will not be installing. Checkout David and Eric's YouTube channel

The current date is now March 2021 (delayed by 6 months), so some vehicles may not have it still.

U.S. gives automakers at least six more months to meet 'quiet car' rules

Is the OP talking about an audible noise able to be heard outside the vehicle? Or inside the vehicle due to the sensors. I had an issue early on with not hearing any 'beeping' from the sensors when getting close to an object when I was backing up, but it was a misconfiguration issue on my part. There are a few threads on it in the forums, so I wasn't alone.

I have the wiring harness in the front of my MY (early June build) for the external speaker for those outside the vehicle, but no speaker installed. I'm assuming this can be something retrofitted in the future for those interested in doing so.