Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y, no blind spot warning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do you feel the need to see the lane marking in the side mirrors when you're going forward? The point of the side mirrors are to see vehicles on the sides of your car. I have setup my mirrors for my blind spots for decades (all cars with or without BSM) and never felt the need to see the lanes markings behind me. When you back up, the mirrors do move in and down so you can see the markings along the car to help you park.
I use the lane markings to assist me with keeping the car within the lines while driving.

I went ahead and ordered the Hansshow wide angle mirrors for $75 shipped after using a coupon code I found on YouTube. I tried adjusting the mirrors per the instructions provided earlier in the thread, but the blindspot still exists AND I lose the ability to see the lane markings. With the wide angle mirrors, it looks like I'd be able to see both the lane markings and eliminate the blind spots as well. Once they arrive I'll let you all know how they work out.

Hansshow Mirrors: Wide angle side mirror glass for model 3/S/X/Y | Intelligentized Auto Parts | Hansshow
I've considered these, but I think you lose the defrost feature, right? Interested in your experience with them.

The auto dimming side mirrors work the same way the auto dimming rear view mirror works; triggered by a daylight sensor. The side mirrors and rear mirror dim at night to minimize glare from the headlights of the vehicles behind you.

didn't read all 5 pages, but you really should not have a blind spot in your mirrors if you set them up right.
That's what I have been tell my wife for years! She just like the ways her mirrors are setup like most other people instead of the correct way. Having said that the Tesla warning system did save her butt a few times. It does work, but you can't really "test" it. It works only when you are about to hit the other car. If you just signal when someone is in your blind spot, it doesn't make a sound. But if you actually try to sway into the other lane.. it will BEEEEEP BEEEEP BEEEEPP.......

didn't read all 5 pages, but you really should not have a blind spot in your mirrors if you set them up right.
Good luck convincing some people of this. It's a hard habit to break once you're so ingrained to see the back of your car with side view mirrors. I have family members like this. I also drive a S2000 with tiny side mirrors without any issue about blind spots with my mirrors adjusted correctly.

Reactions: Need
Just received my Hansshow Wide Angle Mirrors in the mail today. Installing them took ~15 min. The old mirrors took a bit more force than I was expecting to remove. The two heating element connectors took more force than expected to remove as well. The auto dimming connector was easy to remove with a small screwdriver to push out the middle notch while pulling the cable. I tucked in the auto dimming cable in the back of the mirror housing at the ledge.

Haven't had a chance to test these out yet but I will report back with my findings.

Finally had a chance to drive around for a bit to test them out.... they are so much better than the OEM mirrors! I bought the clear (non tinted) version of the Hansshow mirrors and I can see cars in my blind spot now. Since these are wide angle mirrors, I can still see the side of my car on the right third of the mirror, even with the mirrors turned all the way out and everything does look "smaller." This is not an issue for me but figured I'd mention it. The lack of auto-dimming is an improvement, in my opinion, because I can actually see cars approaching at night.

I use the lane markings to assist me with keeping the car within the lines while driving.
I was always taught to line up the registration sticker and the area in the middle of the car between the wipers with the lane markings in the road ahead and use that as a guide to keep within the lane. Really if your registration sticker lines up with the lines on the left as you drive you’re fine. This lets me adjust my mirrors properly and avoid blind spots.

I‘ve gotten tired of all the reported problems with the Ford Mach-e and thought I’d go for a Tesla Y. But no real blind spot warning? That’s a no go for me. I have a 2011 Ford Explorer that puts an orange dot on the side view mirror if there is someone in my blind spot on the right or the left.
I usually just check the on-screen visualization since cars will appear there. You'll get a warning if you try to signal and merge as well.

Reactions: Gadget63
I was always taught to line up the registration sticker and the area in the middle of the car between the wipers with the lane markings in the road ahead and use that as a guide to keep within the lane. Really if your registration sticker lines up with the lines on the left as you drive you’re fine. This lets me adjust my mirrors properly and avoid blind spots.
A trick I was taught when I was a tractor trailer driver was to look 15 to 20 seconds down the road while driving. Do that, and your car will drive in the center of the lane. You will also see what's going on in front of you and have plenty of time to avoid problems.

I‘ve gotten tired of all the reported problems with the Ford Mach-e and thought I’d go for a Tesla Y. But no real blind spot warning? That’s a no go for me. I have a 2011 Ford Explorer that puts an orange dot on the side view mirror if there is someone in my blind spot on the right or the left.
yeah, it's a big bummer tesla doesn't have a proper blind spot warning as well as rear cross traffic radar.

will you go for the mach-e instead?

After a year of ownership I still miss the traditional BS system as implemented in our 2017 Volt. I haven’t mastered the art of looking back to the right to view the screen when initiating a left lane change. Saving grace is I learned how to properly adjust my mirrors and use the “old school” method of checking my blind spots.

Reactions: Reeler