Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - noise reduction kit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to chime in regarding these or should say this particular noise reduction kits. The kit comes with 10 pieces for the Model Y (actually for the Model 3 and Y). My intention is not give the aftermarket company any kind of a bad rap, just want to share information on the noise reduction kit. The company had installation videos available, wasn't all that complicated.

Onward, some patience is required. Installed all 10 pieces (3 pieces each for the front doors; 1 piece for each of the rear doors; the remaining pieces for the trunk and frunk). I main concern wasn't so much the noise but water - keeping whatever residual water at a minimum from car washes.

It is now the 14 day mark (1/11/2021) and the 3m glue on the back of these strips isn't holding. I can see the trunk and frunk strips are peeling away from the frames, the glue is elasticizing. Basically, all the strips are being compromised, the exception being the strips that are placed inside the front (driver/passenger) pillars.

I read a post somewhere about why would the Model 3 noise reduction kit work on a Model Y (different specs...), should wait until a kit is developed specifically the for Model Y.

Just wanted to chime in regarding these or should say this particular noise reduction kits. The kit comes with 10 pieces for the Model Y (actually for the Model 3 and Y). My intention is not give the aftermarket company any kind of a bad rap, just want to share information on the noise reduction kit. The company had installation videos available, wasn't all that complicated.

Onward, some patience is required. Installed all 10 pieces (3 pieces each for the front doors; 1 piece for each of the rear doors; the remaining pieces for the trunk and frunk). I main concern wasn't so much the noise but water - keeping whatever residual water at a minimum from car washes.

It is now the 14 day mark (1/11/2021) and the 3m glue on the back of these strips isn't holding. I can see the trunk and frunk strips are peeling away from the frames, the glue is elasticizing. Basically, all the strips are being compromised, the exception being the strips that are placed inside the front (driver/passenger) pillars.

I read a post somewhere about why would the Model 3 noise reduction kit work on a Model Y (different specs...), should wait until a kit is developed specifically the for Model Y.

I had put a kit on my 3. I thought it actually did a pretty good job in reducing the noise. However it did not hold up well. My issue wasn't water/rain, but the heat here in the Phoenix area. It started coming lose in various spots.

I haven't decided if I'll try a kit on the Y or not. If I do I'll try doing a much more thorough cleaning and prep than just using what came with the kit.

I can't offer anything about the peeling or a better way to prep, but I am curious if there really was any noise reduction and would it be worth the price if the liner stuck on better? If the noise levels are lower post installation, was your MY a pre Nov 20 assembly date with the old windows or a new model?

Last edited:
Just beware if you do remove - that adhesive isn't the easiest to remove, well at not for my situation.

Attachments

• adhesive.JPG
    adhesive.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 600
I know I am continuing an old thread here, but I just installed a noise reduction kit on my MY and it did make a noticeable difference in wind noise. The kit came with 2 things I haven't installed (yet) because I don't know if I need them.

1. The trunk (hatch) seals - do these make any difference? Are they worth installing?

2. There was a seal for the dashboard (supposed to go in the gap between the dashboard and the front glass). I have no idea why this would be necessary, or if it's even a good idea. The side of the dashboard facing the glass seems to have some textile mesh on it, I was also concerned that this could be damaged by trying to squeeze a rubber seal in there. Does anybody know of any reason for putting a rubber seal there?

I know I am continuing an old thread here, but I just installed a noise reduction kit on my MY and it did make a noticeable difference in wind noise. The kit came with 2 things I haven't installed (yet) because I don't know if I need them.

1. The trunk (hatch) seals - do these make any difference? Are they worth installing?

2. There was a seal for the dashboard (supposed to go in the gap between the dashboard and the front glass). I have no idea why this would be necessary, or if it's even a good idea. The side of the dashboard facing the glass seems to have some textile mesh on it, I was also concerned that this could be damaged by trying to squeeze a rubber seal in there. Does anybody know of any reason for putting a rubber seal there?
Can you include the link for the kit you're referring to?

I have had seals installed on the doors of my Model 3 for the last 2.5 years and it's held up pretty well. They are pulling away from one or 2 areas but probably more due to my installation. I didn't notice any reduction of wind noise, which was the purpose for installing them, but it has kept out dust from the door jambs which is nice.

Same experience. When I contacted the company, they told me to piss off as they have been selling this kit for years.

I am looking for best noise reduction kit for MY but I have a hard time to decide which one. I am hesitate to install on my car because they are hard to remove if they are peeling off. and the result may or may not be good. A high end car should have double seal on the door as my Acura TLX. Tesla cuts a lot of corner on MY for sure. The doors closing sound likes my Prius or Honda Accord.

I have had seals installed on the doors of my Model 3 for the last 2.5 years and it's held up pretty well. They are pulling away from one or 2 areas but probably more due to my installation. I didn't notice any reduction of wind noise, which was the purpose for installing them, but it has kept out dust from the door jambs which is nice.
Anything made in China, It can be good or bad. There is no consistent quality for product made in China. You get the good one. What brand do you use?

This one: VXDAS Tesla Model 3 Car Door Seal Kit, Soundproof Rubber Seal Strip Kit Model 3 Accessories, Wind Noise Reduction, Dirt Reduction, Weather Protection : Amazon.de: Automotive . I installed the seals on the doors and frunk, and there was an instantly noticeable significant reduction of wind noise. Basically, the wind noise up to about 70km/h (abotu 43 mph) is nonexistent, and there used to be some when accelerating - now it's only tire/road noise. There is also a significant decrease in wind noise levels at freeway speeds. I tested it up to 190km/h (about 118 mph) and it made a noticeable difference (confirmed by my girlfriend who was even more impressed by the difference than I, so it's not just a placebo effect).

I am looking for best noise reduction kit for MY but I have a hard time to decide which one. I am hesitate to install on my car because they are hard to remove if they are peeling off. and the result may or may not be good. A high end car should have double seal on the door as my Acura TLX. Tesla cuts a lot of corner on MY for sure. The doors closing sound likes my Prius or Honda Accord.
I don't have first hand experience with it but I heard good things about RPM's seals.

Oddly named brands that you have never heard of mean nothing. There are factories in China that jump on trends and churn out replicas of popular products in huge quantities, and there are layers and layers of resellers after them who do nothing but add their own branding (they order the product from the factory with their own name and graphics on the box, but the different box is the only "brand" there is to it) and put them up for sale on Amazon. These resellers (who can be anywhere - in the US, in China or wherever - are just looking at what's trending using apps that analyze Amazon sales and have probably never seen the actual product they are selling) are trying to make a quick buck by flipping trending products. You can often find the exact same product labeled and sold by dozens of different "brands", with some of them buying reviews as part of their quick "take their money and run" strategy, so you get the impression that a certain "brand" is better than the others, while they all come from the same factory and are the exact same product.

Here is the whole explanation: Academy Audience 2 - by a company selling the dream of buying your first Lambo by flipping fidget spinners on Amazon from the comfort of your Mom's basement.

Last edited:
Oddly named brands that you have never heard of mean nothing. There are factories in China that jump on trends and churn out replicas of popular products in huge quantities, and there are layers and layers of resellers after them who do nothing but add their own branding (they order the product from the factory with their own name and graphics on the box, but the different box is the only "brand" there is to it) and put them up for sale on Amazon. These resellers (who can be anywhere - in the US, in China or wherever - are just looking at what's trending using apps that analyze Amazon sales and have probably never seen the actual product they are selling) are trying to make a quick buck by flipping trending products. You can often find the exact same product labeled and sold by dozens of different "brands", with some of them buying reviews as part of their quick "take their money and run" strategy, so you get the impression that a certain "brand" is better than the others, while they all come from the same factory and are the exact same product.

Here is the whole explanation: Academy Audience 2 - by a company selling the dream of buying your first Lambo by flipping fidget spinners on Amazon from the comfort of your Mom's basement.
I agreed with you. I purchased floor mats set for my MYLR, no review on Amazon and they fit really nice.