Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y not recognizing me when I try to open it, even with the app on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Title kind of says it all, but yes to answer the easy questions:

bluetooth is on, I see the car in my bluetooth settings.

This started earlier today, My model Y has been sitting in my garage for a few days plugged into my WC and I just wanted to get in to put something in it and it wouldn't recognize me as it has since the day I got it, 2 weeks ago. (literally as soon as I'd grab the door handle it would unlock for me)

now, nothing. The screen inside asks to open with a keycard. I ended up unlocking from my phone, did what I had to do in the car and assumed it's a one time glitch but no, it keeps happening.

I tested everything and looked at every setting. Even with the tesla app open and with the current charge limit showing on my phone when I walk up to it, it won't unlock upon me grabbing the handle, it displays the message to open with keycard.

Anybody?

reset the car or the phone? My car's software hasn't updated yet and I'm installing the latest iOS software update right now and then I'll try again.
This happened to me and it was my iPhone causing the issue. Turning bluetooth off and back on fixed it. If that doesn’t work try restarting your phone.

My new MYP did the exact same thing for me, but just one time. I turned Bluetooth on and off on my phone (to play it "safe" I let the Bluetooth sit off for 30 seconds or so). When I turned Bluetooth back on (iPhone 12), I was able to open my door and it has (knock on wood) been perfect ever since!

Reactions: ajs847
Same issue here. Turning Bluetooth off and on fixed the issue on iPhone 12. I decided to buy the key fob as it was happening quite a bit to me. Hasn’t been an issue since.
This has been happening to me too, and I’m tired of resetting BT and/or restarting my phone so I also ordered the key fob.
I have a few questions if you don’t mind:
- Did you just add the fob and leave the phone as a key also?
- Do the two “keys” conflict in any way?
- If I remove the phone as a key, leaving only the fob and card in my wallet as the only registered keys, will I still have full access to everything in my Tesla app (climate, charging, location, valet mode, etc.) on my phone?

Thanks in advance!

This has been happening to me too, and I’m tired of resetting BT and/or restarting my phone so I also ordered the key fob.
I have a few questions if you don’t mind:
- Did you just add the fob and leave the phone as a key also?
- Do the two “keys” conflict in any way?
- If I remove the phone as a key, leaving only the fob and card in my wallet as the only registered keys, will I still have full access to everything in my Tesla app (climate, charging, location, valet mode, etc.) on my phone?

Thanks in advance!
I left both programmed to the vehicle. Doesn’t seem to cause any issues. If you need to leave your phone in your car simply turn off Bluetooth. Vehicle will lock auto when you walk away. If you need to leave the fob you will have to manually lock it. I haven’t had any negative effects from having both in my pockets. Works as it should. I posted above someplace a link to a case for the fob. Works extremely well. If you can’t find it and are interested, let me know and I will link again.

Reactions: ScottNY
I left both programmed to the vehicle. Doesn’t seem to cause any issues. If you need to leave your phone in your car simply turn off Bluetooth. Vehicle will lock auto when you walk away. If you need to leave the fob you will have to manually lock it. I haven’t had any negative effects from having both in my pockets. Works as it should. I posted above someplace a link to a case for the fob. Works extremely well. If you can’t find it and are interested, let me know and I will link again.p
Since I’d like to try and limit Bluetooth usage on my phone (and the phone key still fails to work on occasion,) I wanted to make sure that if I removed the phone key and only carried the fob that I’d still have connectivity to the car’s functions from the Tesla app on my phone. I’m guessing that removing the phone as a key also has no impact on the car’s access to media, phone, contacts and calendar, since I believe that’s an additional BT connection separate from key access. I’ll have to give it a try tomorrow and start using only the fob; I can always add the phone back any time.

Since I’d like to try and limit Bluetooth usage on my phone (and the phone key still fails to work on occasion,) I wanted to make sure that if I removed the phone key and only carried the fob that I’d still have connectivity to the car’s functions from the Tesla app on my phone. I’m guessing that removing the phone as a key also has no impact on the car’s access to media, phone, contacts and calendar, since I believe that’s an additional BT connection separate from key access. I’ll have to give it a try tomorrow and start using only the fob; I can always add the phone back any time.
Correct. You can remove phone as key and still have access to the app. Also, Bluetooth connects when in the vehicle for things like calling, text messaging and listening to music.

Thanks for the info @Schulz1983. I bought a nice metal case that has plastic inserts to protect the fob.
For Tesla Model 3/Y/S Key Fob... Amazon.com: For Tesla Model 3/Y/S Key Fob Cover (Starry Gray, Alloy Steel) : Automotive
That one looks pretty nice. The only downside I see might be the size of it. If it ends up not working for you here is the link for the one I purchased:
Premium Key Cases for Tesla Model... Amazon.com: Premium Key Cases for Tesla Model SX3Y Ultra-thin and Ultra-light Key Fob Cover Waterproof Keychain Suitable for Tesla SEXY : Automotive

Reactions: ScottNY