Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Not Worth the Price Now [Nov 2022]

Is the Current Price on the MY LR Overpriced?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you have preferred to not know about the "surprise cuts"? Dealerships hide rebates and incentives from buyers all the time. I remember seeing $8,000 rebates a while back. One person can pay $35k for a car, and another can pay $25K for a car but nobody really notices because the dealerships hide the prices sold to buyers. I guess that is one positive that dealerships do -- they can hide prices and some people are happy about this because it doesn't affect the values of their cars (but in reality it does -- not as fast as lowering the MSRP, but it does in the long term). Personally, I don't like those type of games, but I know why it exists. So situation like this doesn't happen. People are emotional. Tesla is pulling the bandage and people don't like it.
spoken like someone who did not get screwed by the price drop.

Tesla could have ripped the band aid and softened the blow to recent customers. They made their decision - it’ll be their one and only car purchase with me and many other buyers.

I have yet to see anybody who got screwed by Tesla ($3750 or no discount in q4 ) happy with their decision. Some of the people who got $7500 seems happy so I guess screwing someone out of $10k is the break point.

Last edited:

I didn't buy a Tesla... So I yeah, I guess I didn't get screwed by the price drop.

You as an adult bought a new Tesla with your own money for a price you agreed upon... You are now driving around in a fancy late model Tesla, while I'm just mopping around in 10 year old prius with over 200K miles.....

Should I or you call the wambulance for you???? Oh no, person X paid more than person Y for their new car.. Please.. someone come and help him.... He's hella mad...

Tesla could have ripped the band aid and softened the blow to recent customers. They made their decision - it’ll be their one and only car purchase with me and many other buyers.

I have yet to see anybody who got screwed by Tesla ($3750 or no discount in q4 ) happy with their decision. Some of the people who got $7500 seems happy so I guess screwing someone out of $10k is the break point.
Apparently some people that took delivery in early December received a check from Tesla for the other $3750. check Facebook threads.

• Funny
Reactions: eleison
So I have a 2020 Model Y that I leased (only car mistake I have made) with a car cost of $55k... The same car today is $71k with less features. In my opinion the Y is no longer worth the money. At this price a lot of cars compete for the money! Do you think the MY LR is overpriced? If Yes or No, Why?
on a relative basis, the MY is a superior value. relative meaning compared to similar sized EV's on offer.
NOT value for money, since ALL vehicles are overpriced. A Chevy Tahoe for 75K ? Suburban for 95K ? Then 58K for a MY is value.

bell and whistle feature lists favor the Koreans, who just put in everything but the kitchen sink so they can say 'yes' to every question. then it breaks.
no American EV model is worth spit just yet. they're coming, but not in volume any time soon. go ahead, but wait 3 years.
European EV's are trading on brand, not reality. Germans do NOT do electrics well; they bash metal very well.
Then there's software maturity. Then there's Charging Networks. Then of course, Tesla can deliver in volume.

not every EV is everyone's cup of tea, nor are EV's for everyone. Use cases vary.
I've owned 1M miles of luxury cars from Lexus, BMW, Audi, Porsche...not Mercedes yet.
but as of this writing, the MY feature set is suffcient, and my assessment is Tesla MY and M3 are both value leaders. YMMV

Spreadsheet source? And date. Looks like Tesla wipes out all its profits then.

Existing automakers have been investing in ev capacity and product differentiation so that data is very time dependent.
Reuters which I value over many of the other tabloids for data. Also consider watching the recent Munro Live break down in EV margins. He has the values down to the dollar and a bit more Verified data then your speculation. Think you might better understand Tesla’s actual position and play.

I didn't buy a Tesla... So I yeah, I guess I didn't get screwed by the price drop.

You as an adult bought a new Tesla with your own money for a price you agreed upon... You are now driving around in a fancy late model Tesla, while I'm just mopping around in 10 year old prius with over 200K miles.....

Should I or you call the wambulance for you???? Oh no, person X paid more than person Y for their new car.. Please.. someone come and help him.... He's hella mad...
Why are you on a Tesla forum if you don't have or want a Tesla?

Why are you on a Tesla forum if you don't have or want a Tesla?

I want to get one.... one of these days... Not in a rush unless something happens to my old prius which is likely I suppose due to it's age and mileage.. It's living on borrowed time according to people at priuschat and any minute now, it's going to cr@p out on me. It is what it is. Hopefully, the prius will survive another year or two after which I will get a used Tesla. By then, I'm sure the drastic price cuts will have worked it's way down to the used cars (not to mention the Tesla highlander). Funny thing, my 7 year old son says our prius v is a girls car... hahahaha.. he will probably be happy.

I use to own an expensive car before the prius. Everyone was impressed. Now a days, I just don't care about cars as much. But like I said, the prius is getting long in the tooth and it will probably get replaced by a tesla because of the safety and the ADAS. Also, Tesla as a company is interesting to me. Things that it is doing is unique and imho revolutionary. Tesla is forcing the automotive companies to change and adapt like we haven't seen in decades.

I drove my 2011 prius to 297k miles from 2011-2016. By time it was wreck, insurance paid me 11k where I previously had paid 21k otd. I was getting on average 42mpg, down from 49mpg, and the oil residual was about 80% of added from every oil change (10k miles interval) Money well spent; money well earned. With that said, a car is never an investment. ECON 101. It sucks for those who bought it at ATH. But it doesn’t devalue what the brand is, which is to advanced EV technology to the mass. I ordered mine before the crazy price hike so I do feel bad for those who bought during peak inflation in 2022. It was unprecedented times. Just enjoy the car! It’s made my life so much easier and I enjoy driving so much more.

Reactions: eleison and KJD
(moderator note)

I am going to remind people that TMC does not allow personal attacks. We do allow people to disagree on subjects being discussed, but personal attacks are not allowed (and tend to spring forth in threads like this one).

I just removed some posts from the last couple pages of this thread, and decided I would make a general reminder / warning as the next step will be temporary bans.

Status
Not open for further replies.