Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Not Worth the Price Now [Nov 2022]

Is the Current Price on the MY LR Overpriced?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The charger advantage will be gone once its opened to other cars and that will happen next year as its already programed in the code.

It's interesting that so many people are posting to justify the price but the poll shows 3/4 of tesla owners feel the Y is overpriced at current price. Like I said the Y is a very good appliance at $55-60K but once you get over that price you have a lot to choose from in EV and ICE that do everything better. A model S is only 30K more and does everything better as an example.

I guess a follow-up question is would you buy the car at today's price?
go price other cars, ICE and EV. What can you get for 65K these days?
all car prices are stratospheric, there's nothing that provides better value.....but that's my subjective opinion, and for my specific use case.

Reactions: cusetownusa
Agree to disagree. I don't personally think a $3750 incentive will be enough to keep a $70K SUV within stretch range for most regular folks once rates hit 7-8% next year. Your paint being high quality does not mean quality is good. It just means you got a good copy. Tesla's quality swings wildly throughout the year as output ramps up and down. Our local service center even admitted as such, telling us Tesla's end of the year push always results in a nightmare of rework for them.
if you look at TMC posts from 18 months ago vs current posts, paint and build quality are no longer issues. at all.
virtually everything coming out of Fremont and Austin is high quality.

A LOT of Tesla buyers have historically been value-focused people who bought more vehicle than they usually do in order to achieve savings in the long term over an ICE vehicle. That savings has now largely been eroded with the increased prices and creeping supercharging rates. I work at an R&D facility and more than half of my fellow middle-class coworkers have 3/Ys.

I also think the people with money to splash are going to start getting sick of continued cheapening of the interior, particularly the removal of drive and turn signal stalks next year.
if and when that actually happens.

I get preferring a minimalist style, different strokes and all that, but it should be reflected in the cost and value provided.

Tesla's whole philosophy is minimalism and it goes way beyond just interiors, right down to cutting $200 ultrasonic sensors on $50-60k+ vehicles.
USS is overstated. Cameras will be fine.
But you can't know that until it's done, so it's the insecurity of unknowns.

go price other cars, ICE and EV. What can you get for 65K these days?
all car prices are stratospheric, there's nothing that provides better value.....but that's my subjective opinion, and for my specific use case.
I can buy a BMW M3 for the same price right now, with the same features and better everything performance, fit, finish, handling. I am looking at best car for $$ not ICE, EV, SUV. If you are gonna spend ~$70k on a car you have a ton of options.

Like I said I love the Y as an appliance at $53-60k…not appealing at $70k.

How many people who are commenting purchased a Y at the current price… seems like 0.0. And this is my point about the thread.

Reactions: dino007
if you look at TMC posts from 18 months ago vs current posts, paint and build quality are no longer issues. at all.
virtually everything coming out of Fremont and Austin is high quality.
Took the delivery today and front passenger side door is scraping the fender while opening. and scratches and misaligned frunk/trunk
the other guy who took delivery has scratches and chipped roof glass.

I can buy a BMW M3 for the same price right now, with the same features and better everything performance, fit, finish, handling. I am looking at best car for $$ not ICE, EV, SUV. If you are gonna spend ~$70k on a car you have a ton of options.

How many people who are commenting purchased a Y at the current price… seems like 0.0. And this is my point about the thread.
agreed... most deliveries are from before price hikes .. except some perf models..
even before pre hike deliveries are not complete, waiting times are 1/3 of what they were... once they are done, then we have to see..

you cannot distinguish that from the limited audience of this blog.
what can be seen, based on actual evidence:

deliveries have been about a 6 -7 month wait on average, so what's being delivered since about April/May is at pricing which was raised last year, and many also since the last raise in the spring. there's been little evidence of order softness; demand appears to have remained strong. delivery wait times aren't much shorter despite additional production capacity coming on line.

everything regarding better/worse/whatever is subjective. Everyone's use case, experience and expectations are different.

Reactions: Yelobird and Zalick

I find it appealing at that price. The competition is very unappealing, at any price.

I purchased my MY Performance in July with the increase price tag. I was coming from a loaded 21 Land Rover Discovery and i did test drive several different cars, but upon driving the MY it just felt right to me. Price tag didnt bother me, yes i lost some "first world" features but overall I was confortable in the MY and there was no question this was the car for me. isnt that what buying a car is about, what looks and feels good to the buyer?

I don't know if any EV is worth $70-80K+ because of the entire ownership experience doesn't feel premium.

Buying an Taycan or e-tron can taking it to EA location(in 2022) is like driving it to a McDonald's... a premium car at an unpremium charging network that can be frustrating and problematic. Superchargers are tolerable but there are often no amenities at many locations like trash cans, windshield squeegees, or restrooms.
Also CarPlay is Satan's spawn. It really is. It's buggy, glitchy, doesn't integrate with the rest of the car (except in some limited cases like the Mach-E and i4) and is a stopgap until carmakers have fully integrated car OSes like Android Automotive.

IMO every EV is overpriced by $15K. Maybe the only one that isn't is the Chevy Bolt EUV.

Model 3 owner here, but…

…at least for now, when comparing prices with other brands, shouldn’t we factor in the convenience and widespread availability of the Supercharger network? Whenever I contemplate other brands, I certainly pause and consider how I’d deal with charging when traveling without the Supercharger network I’ve grown accustomed to. Maybe it’s not as bad as I imagine, and may no longer be a factor if and when Tesla opens up their network to other brands, but I think for now some premium is deserved considering the huge amount of money it must cost Tesla to install and maintain and grow their Supercharger network.

On the basis of the above, and other factors, I voted no, the Y is not overpriced. The fact that demand has stayed high at the current price point makes that pretty obvious as well.

Reactions: cusetownusa
In a vacuum, yes, it's overpriced. However, in the current market it's not. I can't think of anything else I'd want for the same price point. Not really intrigued by the Ioniq/EV6 and the GV60 is ugly. The Mach-E is cool but also not really my vibe. The Audis do nothing for me. The i4 M50 is cool but I don't think I'd take it over the MY. I would never buy an ICE vehicle as a daily driver again so that eliminates most options.

The only vehicle on the horizon that I know will have me swooning is the Macan EV. I've owned 2 Porsches and I love the brand. That car is nearly perfect, and an EV version will be even better. No idea what the pricing will look like however.

Reactions: Zalick
Also CarPlay is Satan's spawn. It really is. It's buggy, glitchy, doesn't integrate with the rest of the car (except in some limited cases like the Mach-E and i4) and is a stopgap until carmakers have fully integrated car OSes like Android Automotive.

As someone that likes CarPlay and used it exclusively in my previous vehicle with no issues...I cannot figure out why so many here want it so bad. The Tesla UI is excellent. It's fast, I've never had a glitch, it 's perfectly optimized for the huge screen, it's easy to navigate, it uses Google Maps, etc. Even if CarPlay was available, I would never opt to use its compromised, windowed experience over the native UI. I'm a huge Apple guy and buy everything they sell, but I'm still not understanding this desire.

As someone that likes CarPlay and used it exclusively in my previous vehicle with no issues...I cannot figure out why so many here want it so bad. The Tesla UI is excellent. It's fast, I've never had a glitch, it 's perfectly optimized for the huge screen, it's easy to navigate, it uses Google Maps, etc. Even if CarPlay was available, I would never opt to use its compromised, windowed experience over the native UI. I'm a huge Apple guy and buy everything they sell, but I'm still not understanding this desire.
For me it's about Waze and Apple Music,, that's basically it. Many people are also weary of yet another subscription, which is required for traffic aware navigation and native streaming apps like Spotify. Giving them other options they're already paying for/have available in the Apple or Android ecosystem via their phone is a reasonable request.

Reactions: KRG21
This. Just because some offer CarPlay, doesn’t mean their infotainment is better. I don’t care if Tesla doesn’t offer CarPlay because the Tesla UI is better than anything I’ve used from the other car makers. My other cars have CarPlay and I use it because the native systems are garbage but CarPlay itself isn’t as good as Teslas interface for me. Not even close.

My wife and I asked ourselves this after taking delivery of a 2023 MY yesterday. Her primary car is/was a 2016 Lexus RX350 fully loaded with all the tech at that time. Moving into the MYLR, there are definitely some things that we would wished and even assumed had carried over from our "older" car. Getting a Tesla really feels like buying their software and their battery tech more so than buying an actual car.

The checklist we downloaded to check the car during delivery was not something we've ever done in the past as we expect new cars to be, well...new. The fit and finish when comparing it to the Lexus is night and day. It could be that this is the first time we waited months (May order) for a car and every month we wait, it's another stack of (unrealistic?) expectations. It's to the point where the "worth" of the car becomes questionable during delivery day.

In regards to the question, is it "worth" it? Probably not but is anything over a regular econobox worth it if the goal is to just transport you from Point A to Point B? Not sure, subjective.

Status
Not open for further replies.